The Bradbury-Sullivan LGBT Community Center (BSC) is a nonprofit organization that provides arts, health, youth, and Pride programs to strengthen and support the LGBTQ+ community across the Lehigh Valley. Founded in 2014 and opened in 2016, the Bradbury-Sullivan LGBT Community Center has become a leading-edge and complex organization with a diversity of revenue sources and an even greater diversity of community programs.
The Bradbury-Sullivan LGBT Community Center provides a vibrant, inclusive space in Pennsylvania’s Lehigh Valley for all the region’s LGBTQ+ residents. BSC ensures that the critical supportive services of the LGBTQ+ community are met. BSC advocates for the community, organizes the region’s annual Pride festival — and makes the Lehigh Valley more equitable through its Training Institute.
To learn more about the Bradbury-Sullivan LGBT Community Center, go to https://www.bradburysullivancenter.org/.
Building on seven years of strong community partnerships and advocacy, the Bradbury-Sullivan LGBT Community Center is seeking an Executive Director to provide vision, leadership, and management of all aspects of the organization. The organization is at a pivotal juncture in its journey, presenting the opportunity to strengthen and expand their capacity in providing steadfast education and advocacy for the LGBTQ+ community and quality health services for diverse communities.
As the professional leader, this person will foster a welcoming and positive environment for all that prioritizes work-life balance and the wellness of all members of the community. The ideal person for this role is a visionary with a strategic mindset who can lead with empathy and vulnerability. They are a strong unifier and people-connecter who can lead and empower a team and knows how to communicate with transparency and authenticity. As a major LGBTQ+ organization in Pennsylvania, the Executive Director must have the skills to work with elected officials to provide key information, research, and advice to help defeat anti-LGBTQ+ political legislation and to react to crises that affect the National, and especially State-wide and local LGBTQ+ communities.
The Executive Director will work closely with the Board, key stakeholders, and the staff to enable the organization to fulfill its mission. Areas of responsibility include planning and evaluation, implementing policies and administration, personnel and fiscal management, and public relations. This is a full-time position, hired by and directly accountable to the Board members through their elected chair.
Strategic Vision and Leadership
· Provide an ongoing strategic vision for BSC in service of its mission and lead the organization into its next phase of development and impact.
· In collaboration with the Board of Directors and Senior Leadership Team, oversee a strategic planning process that will maximize impact in program services and increase the visibility of BSC as a thought-leader in LGBTQ+ equity.
· Assess and monitor the organization’s business model with attention to implementing strategic priorities and monitoring key income and expense drivers; ensure that programming is sustainable and reflects the long-term vision.
· Value and lead the effort to work together toward alternative leadership paradigms; support and cultivate a climate that supports shared leadership.
· Build and nurture an organizational culture that is grounded in a shared vision and values, collaboration, vibrant teamwork, and accountability, strengthened by ongoing leadership development and career advancement opportunities for all staff.
· Cultivate a strong and transparent working relationship with the Board and ensure open communication about the measurement of financial, programmatic, and impact performance against stated milestones and goals.
· Assist in building a diverse and inclusive Board representative of the community that is highly engaged and willing to leverage and secure resources.
Advocacy, Development, & Community Relations
· Serve as the chief spokesperson for BSC and effectively communicate the mission to external stakeholders.
· Act as the primary driver in donor and partner cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship to raise the remaining balance toward the capital campaign goal.
· Serve as a key partner to the development team in maintaining relationships with existing donors and building relationships with new donors.
· In support of advocacy and equity in the Lehigh Valley and Pennsylvania, establish relationships with community leaders, funders, and like-minded mission-oriented organizations in the region.
· Ensure that the flow of funds permits BSC to make continuous progress towards the achievement of its mission and strategic goals.
· Formulate and execute comprehensive marketing, branding and development strategies that will enhance revenue from major donors, foundations, government agencies, and corporations, while providing a consistent message about the Center’s mission and values.
Infrastructure, Operations & Facility Management
· Provide oversight of the community center and ensure that the environment continues to uphold inclusion and accessibility for all staff, clients, and the public.
· Assess the current organizational infrastructure and create and maintain operating policies and procedures that ensure clarity of decision-making processes, staff roles and responsibilities, and hires needed to execute the strategic vision.
· Facilitate cross-departmental collaboration and strengthen internal communications with staff throughout the organization; continue to promote a positive and inclusive work environment that supports consistency throughout the organization’s strategy, operational methods, and data collection needs.
· Oversee the organization’s financial status, including developing long and short-range financial plans, monitoring the budget, and ensuring sound financial controls are in place; set appropriate financial priorities to ensure the organization is operating in a manner that supports the needs of the program and staff.
· A proven track record of maintaining staff morale and making employees feel valued and heard through recognizing the skills of all staff members (not just Senior Leadership) and empowering all staff in their respective areas.
· Strong experience working on LGBTQ+ community issues, through an intersectional lens, and a passionate commitment to fighting for the rights and welfare of LGBTQ+ people.
· A mastered skillset and understanding of working sensitively with minority and disenfranchised communities.
· Regarding the facility and any transitions, the CEO should provide oversight of the community center and ensure that the environment continues to uphold inclusion and accessibility for all staff and clients.
· Experience in assessing current organizational infrastructure and create operating policies and procedures to align decision-making processes, staff roles, and responsibilities, and staff recruitment, hiring, and development with the strategic direction of an organization.
· Evidence of supporting staff members through a climate of collaboration and transparency that supports a positive and inclusive work environment.
· Proven ability to develop long and short-range financial plans, monitor their implementation and outcomes, and ensure sound financial controls are in place and followed.
· Experience working collaboratively and transparently with a Board of Directors or similar volunteer leadership group.
Salary and Benefits
Salary range for this position is $110,000 – $120,000, plus benefits.
BRADBURY-SULLIVAN LGBT COMMUNITY CENTER welcomes applicants from all backgrounds and walks of life, as is reflected in our mission for equity and inclusion. BRADBURY-SULLIVAN LGBT COMMUNITY CENTER is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing equal opportunity for all employees and applicants. BRADBURY-SULLIVAN LGBT COMMUNITY CENTER recruits, hires, trains, promotes, compensates, and administers all personnel actions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, gender identity, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, ancestry, medical condition, marital status, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other status protected by applicable law.
This position description is based upon material provided by Bradbury-Sullivan LGBT Community Center, an equal opportunity employer.
Sarah Raful Whinston , Principal
Raven Stubbs, Talent Consultant
Gabrielle Smith, Associate
How To Apply