The Council on Foundations is a national nonprofit association of approximately 2,000 grantmaking foundations and corporations. As a leader in philanthropy, we strive to increase the effectiveness, stewardship, and accountability of our sector while providing our members with the services and support they need for success.
Directors contribute creative, dynamic, and forward-thinking thought leadership and service to Council members. They focus on building, expanding and deepening relationships with members and other external stakeholders around pertinent thematic priorities and networks, both inside and outside the philanthropic sector. Directors are evaluated on their ability to identify trends and opportunities, develop relationships; create and deliver services, products and activities that provide clear value to Council members, attract new members, and generate revenue.
The Director-Private Foundation Philanthropy serves as the Council’s primary liaison with family and independent foundations and other philanthropic organizations working with private philanthropic organizations and individuals. (S)he will work with the Council’s marketing, research, member relations, communications and public policy teams, as well as outside partners such as funders, funder networks, regional associations, corporations, and consultants to create opportunities that serve Council members and the philanthropic field. All members of the Member Relations team address, elevate and share knowledge about philanthropic trends and member needs across the Council staff, membership and field of philanthropy.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Identifying key trends, issues and learning opportunities of particular relevance to private foundations including family foundations.
• Identifying, developing and stewarding collaborative relationships, meetings and communities of practice with family and independent foundations and related organizations to amplify the importance of philanthropy.
• Anticipating and responding to members’ needs, developing products and services that address members’ needs, and identifying opportunities for members that directly enhance their work.
• Some familiarity with the laws and regulations governing private foundations including the role of the IRS in foundation oversight.
• Developing and executing strategies and activities that create revenue streams for the Council.
• Advancing the Council’s convening and community building role, including dialogues, events and presentations to key audiences; identifying and securing the participation of individuals from other networks with specific emphasis on networks consisting of family and private foundation staff and family members.
• Ensuring that continued knowledge about Council members, their networks and their needs is integrated into the ongoing development of Council gatherings, online communities, research, public policy work, and other educational and leadership-development services and activities by including additional networks in these various events.
• With the Council team, creating and tracking success metrics; conducting continuous evaluation in line with those metrics.
• Working cross functionally with colleagues throughout the Council, including but not limited to members of the public policy, membership, marketing, research, finance, partnerships and communications teams.
• Performs other reasonably related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s Degree and six or more years of experience with progressive responsibilities including business development and networking experience.
• Prior experience working in a family and/or independent foundation required.Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• A natural connector of people, ideas and opportunities; ability to spot trends, identify opportunities and make connections quickly and creatively.
• A well-developed network with strong ties to family and private philanthropy foundations and experience with private philanthropy trends.
• Outstanding communication skills; an ability to create compelling, persuasive written narratives that are strategically focused.
• Excellent judgment and negotiation skills, with an eye toward translating strategy into relationships and unparalleled results.
• Exceptional project management skills with a strong ability to move from idea to reality.
• Experience with strategic marketing planning, product/service development, which could be gained from any number of sectors.
• Ability to make decisions in a highly dynamic environment, with an appreciation for how future needs may affect those decisions.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively and sensitively with a broad range of diverse groups as evidenced by excellent listening and communication skills, balanced and reasoned approaches to problems, ability to inspire trust and confidence, and flexibility and openness to differing points of view.
• Demonstrated skills in facilitation.
• Exercises discretion and independent judgment in the responsibilities associated with managing job functions.
• Works cooperatively, respectfully, and collaboratively with other employees; functions as a team player; and accepts constructive suggestions for improving job performance from supervisors and managers.
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com.