Chicken & Egg Pictures is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that supports women and gender nonconforming documentary filmmakers whose artful and innovative storytelling catalyzes social change. We envision an inclusive media industry in which filmmakers, representing a range of experiences and backgrounds, are fully supported to realize their artistic goals and build fulfilling careers in the documentary film industry.
Since 2005, we have supported over 400 filmmakers, providing over $9 million in grants and thousands of hours of mentorship and creative support. We are known for our ability to spot exciting new talent and compelling projects with great potential. We elevate and amplify voices that make universal themes accessible, personal, and resonant. Our team has received numerous recognitions from the documentary industry and beyond, including the 2018 International Documentary Association Amicus Award, the 2019 Social Impact Media Vanguard Award, and runner-up for the 2020 Nonprofit Excellence Award for Overall Management. Additional information about us and our current programs may be found on our website: www.chickeneggpics.org
Chicken & Egg Pictures is seeking an Associate Director of Communications to lead the organization into a period of communications growth. This newly created position is a unique opportunity to shape the voice of the organization through the creation and implementation of a communications strategy.
The Associate Director of Communications will develop, implement, and lead Chicken & Egg Pictures’ strategic communication plan, brand-building, and public relations, as well as build new communication relationships to advance the mission.
This year is an exciting one at Chicken & Egg Pictures, when we are dreaming big to develop our 2023-2025 Strategic Plan. The Associate Director of Communications will be tasked with articulating our new Strategic Plan in materials for different audiences. Additionally, they will be creating a new brand strategy to increase the organization’s visibility, in collaboration with a PR firm.
We are proud of our positive team culture, where we enjoy learning from and with one another. Join a creative team that is truly passionate about advancing our mission of supporting a global community of women and gender nonconforming filmmakers.
What You’ll Do
This position reports to the Executive Director and works closely with every member of our 12-person team, as well as with filmmakers, industry and partners. The Communications Assistant reports to the Associate Director of Communications. Your responsibilities will include:
- Create and implement a communications strategy and plan.
- Ensure the mission and organizational commitments to diversity, equity, inclusion and accessibility are centered in all our communications.
- Identify and contract a PR firm to help develop and implement media vision and strategic brand building.
- Build and maintain relationships with journalists, thought leaders, and media outlets.
- Analyze effectiveness of communication activities and make improvements.
- Keep abreast of industry news to thoughtfully engage with the documentary ecosystem.
- Oversee the creation and distribution of content for the website, social media, and newsletter, working closely with colleagues in other departments.
- Craft compelling materials, including press releases, website language, reports, talking points, etc. by pulling stories from film and field data and reports.
- Oversee the management of our social media and website.
Management and team collaboration
- Provide strategic guidance and coach team members in public speaking and other external engagements.
- Identify and manage resources to effectively implement goals, including the communications department’s budget.
Who You Are
While no one candidate will embody all the qualifications below, a strong candidate will possess many of the following abilities, attributes, and experiences.
Knowledge and Experience:
You are a great storyteller, spokesperson, and writer who uses external communications to thoughtfully advance issues of equity in arts and media.
You bring a minimum of 7 years of professional work experience, including 5+ years of experience in designing and executing creative communication and branding strategies and in media relations. You also have experience:
- Storytelling: Telling powerful stories that synthesize complex issues and cut through a crowded media landscape.
- Strategy: Creating and developing innovative communication strategies and measurable plans to reach organizational goals.
- Media: Pitching and landing top tier media; and coaching others to be effective communicators in diverse outlets.
- Field: Working in a nonprofit or in a mission-driven organization or company. Ideally, working in one or more of the following fields: gender justice, documentary film, and social justice.
- Management: Successfully managing direct reports, managing up, and dotted line project management.
- Project Management Skills: You are adept at managing and executing complex projects that require ingenuity, attention to detail, and accuracy. Highly agile, you are able to synthesize information and be decisive and thoughtful in responding to rapid-response scenarios and tight deadlines.
- Communication: You are a clear, concise, and innovative writer with expertise in working across platforms and materials that reach different audiences. You prioritize advancing equity through external communications; you are able to write persuasively about documentary filmmaking as well as the nuances of films exploring complex social justice issues. You are adept at building new relationships and serving as a spokesperson.
- Systems and Technology Proficiency: You are tech savvy, and love platforms and applications that help you make content clear, beautiful, and accessible. You delight in developing new ways to work more effectively. You have regularly used a range of platforms, such as G Suite, Salesforce, Excel, and Adobe Creative Suite. If you do not have experience with a specific application or system, you are confident in your ability to learn it quickly.
- Work Habits and Approach: You have excellent judgment, a strong work ethic, resourcefulness, and problem-solving skills. Good humor, initiative, and flexibility are among the traits you bring to the table as a collaborative team member. You are curious, a life-long learner, and you value a diversity of thought, background, and perspective.
- Organizational Mission and Values Alignment: You are inspired by Chicken & Egg Pictures’ vision of an inclusive and equitable media industry and our mission to amplify diverse voices in nonfiction film. You are motivated by a culture of openness and learning, and are eager to grow with a team that is passionate about putting our values into practice.
What Else You Should Know
Start Date: As soon as possible.
Deadline: Applications will be processed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Early submission of your application is recommended. First-round interviews will take place in late March and/or early April.
Application Process: If your application is moved forward, the application process may include up to three interview rounds with Chicken & Egg Pictures team members. Finalists will be sent a prompt and asked to submit a pre-employment exercise, for which they will receive an honorarium.
Location: This position is based in our office in Brooklyn, NY. Staff are currently working from home during the pandemic. We are planning to pilot a hybrid remote/office flexible schedule with at least two-three Brooklyn Office days per week. When it’s safe, occasional travel may be required, with advance notice.
COVID-19: All employees and anyone entering the Chicken & Egg Pictures office are required to have up-to-date vaccines.
Compensation: Minimum salary $85,000, commensurate with direct communications experience. This is a full-time position. We are currently collaborating with consultants to assess our competitive compensation framework to attract and retain a highly-talented workforce.
Benefits: 100% premium coverage of health, dental, and vision insurance, plus life and short and long-term disability insurances. Flexible spending accounts for medical and transit expenses. A 403(b) plan with a matching employer contribution. Annually 15 vacation days (20 at the two-year mark), 10 safe and sick leave days, and 3 personal days. The office is closed for 9 holidays, in addition to December 24-31. Professional development opportunities and home office stipends.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Chicken & Egg Pictures is an at-will and equal opportunity employer. As such, we strongly encourage and seek applications from all backgrounds, including but not limited to women and gender nonconforming individuals, people of color, bilingual and multicultural individuals, people with working class backgrounds, people with disabilities, as well as members of the LGBTQ community.
We take great pride in providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, genetics, protected veteran or military status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, political affiliation, marital or familial status, arrest or conviction record, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
E-Verify: We participate in the E-Verify Program.
How To Apply
Complete the form on our career page to submit your cover letter, résumé, and a list of three work-related references who can speak to your qualifications for this position.
In your cover letter, we invite you to respond to the following prompts:
- Why is being Chicken & Egg Pictures’ Associate Director of Communications the next best step for you professionally? What motivates you to want to join Chicken & Egg Pictures?
- Beyond gender parity, Chicken & Egg Pictures strives to create an inclusive documentary film industry by working with filmmakers from diverse communities. Tell us about how your background and experiences could help you to work towards this mission in your role as the Associate Director of Communications.
Applicants with Disabilities: Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified applicants with disabilities may participate in the application process. Please reach out to email@example.com with any requests.
Please, no phone calls.
Hiring companies: We will not respond to emails about this position.