The Nature Conservancy is the leading conservation organization working to make a positive impact around the world in more than 60 countries, all 50 United States, and your backyard. Founded in 1951, the mission of The Nature Conservancy is to conserve the lands and waters on which all life depends. One of our core values is our commitment to diversity therefore we are committed to a globally diverse and culturally competent workforce.
Visit www.nature.org/aboutus to learn more.
Become a force for nature and a healthy planet by joining the Maine team! Chartered in 1956, The Nature Conservancy in Maine has helped conserve more than 2 million acres of land in Maine and restored over 1,000 river miles. We are proud to be connecting land, water, wildlife, and people for over 50 years. We are seeking a dynamic professional to serve as our full-time Director of Development. This is an exceptional career opportunity for a highly motivated, capable, individual interested in joining the world’s leading conservation organization.
This position will play a critical leadership role in leading a team of seasoned, collaborative and results-oriented professionals to raise financial support for local, regional and international conservation priorities.
We are seeking an energetic and dedicated professional with proven success in relational philanthropy and the capacity to embrace and effectively communicate the Conservancy’s mission and its relevance to the environment, the economy, and the health of human communities. Our ideal candidate will have experience, sincere interest and pleasure in developing fundraising talent in professional staff and volunteers and will lead by example as an active fundraiser with personal responsibility for managing donor relationships aimed at securing seven and eight-figure gifts. They will motivate, coach, and encourage growth and strategic creativity. They will be one of the primary strategists behind advancing TNC in Maine’s network of business and philanthropic leaders within and beyond the Board. Knowledge of Maine’s philanthropic community and networks of social and professional relationships within it would enhance a candidate’s potential for success.
The ideal candidate will have a background and track record that includes:
· Bachelor’s degree and 8 years of professional fundraising experience in major gifts and/or capital campaigns, including experience working at a senior level, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
· Experience asking for and closing major gifts.
· Experience building and maintaining long-term relationships with fundraising constituents such as major donors, foundations, and corporations.
· Knowledge of current and evolving trends in major gifts giving and solicitation and capital campaigns.
· Experience in planning and delivering budgetary responsibilities.
· Experience managing and supervising a multidisciplinary team.
· Experience working in a large, complex, non-profit environment.
· Experience, coursework, or other training in in the basics of charitable gift planning
· Experience fundraising for multiple strategies that are deployed at a local, regional, and global scale.
· Demonstrated success supervising a major gift program.
· Extensive management experience including ability to motivate, lead, set objectives and manage performance of a large multi-disciplinary team and to foster an environment of creativity and professional growth and to give and receive timely, constructive feedback.
· Demonstrated ability to inspire through presentations, conversations, and written communications.
· Experience working with volunteer leadership and senior staff leadership in fundraising, including the ability to motivate, lead, and build the confidence of partners who may be less experienced in the field;
· Experience with annual and long range strategic planning, goal setting and performance management.
How To Apply
We have a fantastic office environment located in Brunswick, ME and offer a competitive salary with great benefits. For a complete position description and to apply, visit https://tinyurl.com/hpkx67x. The application deadline is Midnight EST April 17, 2017.
Please follow this link.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer.