For almost 20 years, CEP has led the movement to improve philanthropy through a powerful combination of dispassionate analysis and a passionate commitment to improving lives. Today, over 350 foundations have used CEP’s assessment tools to gather honest feedback from their stakeholders in an effort to learn how to be even more effective. CEOs and trustees have come to rely on our research for insights into foundation effectiveness on a wide range of topics, from assessing performance to developing strategy to managing stakeholder relationships. Our highly regarded programming—including our biennial conference—gives foundation leaders an exclusive and unprecedented opportunity to connect with their peers. Strengths of CEP’s work culture are entrepreneurialism, accountability, teamwork, collegiality, diversity, and mutual respect. CEP is based in Cambridge, Massachusetts, with a second office in San Francisco, California.
Programming and External Relations
The Programming & External Relations Coordinator role works closely with the Vice President and all members of the team to execute the department’s vital work. This is a unique opportunity to work on a variety of projects that offer growth in both content expertise and technical skills in the field of philanthropy and nonprofits.
The Ideal Candidate:
- You have a track record of being highly organized and detail-oriented. You consistently produce high-quality, error-free work, reflecting an ability to complete tasks on time with rigor, quality, and accuracy.
- You are technically savvy, a problem-solver, and self-directed learner/doer, who can work both independently and collaboratively.
- You are a talented multi-tasker who can successfully juggle multiple work streams and demands. You have proven success in a fast-paced environment. You are flexible and adaptable.
- You have a background and/or demonstrated interest in writing, marketing, and visuals, and seek to work in a mission-driven organization.
- You are a really strong communicator, both in writing and speaking. Your interpersonal skills allow you to interact effectively with all levels of the organization as well as external contacts.
- You are motivated by team goals. You are enthusiastic to contribute ideas for problem-solving, compelling content, dynamic speakers, and creative ways to reach our audiences.
- You are a genuinely wonderful colleague to have around. You work well within a close-knit team as well as across other departments. You are also excellent at managing up. Your highly positive attitude, shared commitment to excellence, and thoughtfulness are an asset to CEP.
- Writing and producing a high volume of compelling and persuasive grant proposals and reports for CEP’s fundraising efforts. This includes the ability to synthesize complex ideas from others at CEP into clear and compelling writing that meets specific deadlines.
- Carefully and effectively tracking our fundraising pipeline and timelines and coordinating information sharing across teams.
- Writing and sending thank you notes and other day-to-day communications with donors to maintain and build our donor relationships.
- Conducting targeted Internet research to identify high-potential donor prospects for CEP.
- Playing an active role in event planning logistics and execution of CEP’s biennial conference and frequent other in-person and virtual programs.
- Actively contributing to team discussions, collaborating on cross-team projects, and helping develop CEP’s internal knowledge base and operations.
- A Bachelor’s degree and at least one year in a relevant role is required.
- Strong computer/technical skills; demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook; familiarity with Salesforce, WordPress, and MailChimp a big plus.
Our nonprofit model is central to our identity: our bottom line is impact, not profit. Yet even as a nonprofit, we successfully compete for top talent across both the public and private sectors and offer competitive compensation and benefits including:
- The annual base salary for this position is $69,000. In addition, this role is eligible for a competitive Performance Based Incentive Compensation.
- Comprehensive health and dental insurance plans.
- Generous paid time off plan, including up to 15 holidays, two weeks of accrued vacation, and two personal days per year.
- 401(k) plan with a 1:1 Employer Match up to 5% of total compensation.
- Generous annual personal professional development allowance.
- Flexible spending and dependent care tax free savings plans.
- Life insurance covered 100% by the organization.
Please fill out our application for employment and attach a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position. If you have any questions, please contact Leaha Wynn, Manager, People and Culture; Diversity and Inclusion Strategist or Alyse d’Amico, Director of People and Culture at jobs [at] cep [dot] org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
We believe that a diversity of thoughts, experiences, backgrounds, personalities, and identities helps us think bigger and better, and enables us to reach our goals more effectively. We are committed to building a diverse staff and encourage individuals from all backgrounds to apply.
Once a candidate begins our process, we discourage outreach to our staff for interviews or conversations that are outside our standard interview process. We have worked hard to design a process that is fair and rigorous and achieves a good match between candidates and CEP.
CEP evaluates candidates based on their merits. We strongly discourage unsolicited references. We will ask for references if and when a candidacy reaches a finalist stage.