The mission of the Office of External Relations is to engage the broad MIT Sloan community—alumni, faculty, staff, students, friends, and organizations—with the school and one another in order to inspire investment of time, expertise, and philanthropic support. Our goal is to sustain an environment where everyone is welcomed, respected, and has equal access to opportunities that allow them to thrive.
Position Overview: Reporting to the Director of Alumni Experience, the Associate Director of Alumni Events and Engagement will manage Reunion Weekend, MIT Sloan’s largest annual alumni event, and oversee a wide range of alumni engagement events including alumni conferences. In this capacity the Associate Director will be responsible for all programmatic elements of multiple events and will collaborate with the Director, other OER departments, MIT Sloan offices, and offices across all of MIT, including but not limited to the MIT Alumni Association. The Associate Director will develop content to drive alumni and donor engagement and participation, work with the communications team to develop creative marketing materials, email, and social media campaigns that create awareness and increase response rates, develop and maintain engagement event budgets, manage vendor negotiations, create event agendas, compile confidential briefings. This person will strategize about and take a leadership role in the implementation of systems to support event management, including technology, writing pre-event and post-event materials, streamlining event processes to create programming and engagement, and the development of measures to report ROI of engagement. This position will oversee an Assistant Director of Alumni Experience. Some travel, evening, and weekend work is required
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions**): (% totaling 100%)
• 30%: Responsible for the oversight of planning and execution of a wide range of alumni events produced by the Alumni Events Team that will contribute to the overall mission to engage alumni, friends, and organizations with MIT Sloan and with each other through intellectual activities that will inspire investment of time, expertise, and financial support.
• 30%: Manage and execute all elements of MIT Sloan Reunion Weekend and develop programming to deliver intellectual content to alumni and increase engagement with the school. Additionally, will plan and execute milestone program anniversaries as they occur in collaboration with Program Offices and serve as the point of contact for miniReunions hosted by volunteers or External Relations around the world.
• 10%: Strategize with Director to propose, initiate, and create programming for Reunion Weekend, and collaborate with the Director of Development Events to engage prospects in speaking opportunities as a means for cultivation and stewardship.
• 10%: Manage Reunion Weekend stakeholders: Alumni Relations, Annual Fund, Communications, and Development Events colleagues to ensure strong project management of various collaborations with the Annual Fund, a streamline of communications with volunteers and alumni in a reunion year, prospect strategy is involved in programming, and logistical elements and planning are shared across the team. Manage relationships with MIT Alumni Association to ensure successful Reunion partnership and collaboration, and that event processes are aligned.
• 10%: Manage Assistant Director of Alumni Experience. Overseeing their focus on reunion volunteer management, ensuring the program aligns with and supports the goals of the Alumni Experience team and External Relations. Work also with staff on their developmental goals and ensure the objectives of engagement events are met.
• 5%: Measure impact and ROI of Reunion Weekend and alumni engagement.
• 5%: Other projects as they relate to alumni events and Reunion volunteers as assigned including internal working group activities
How To Apply