MIT Sloan School of Management Mission:
To develop principled, innovative leaders who improve the world; and to generate ideas that advance management practice.
MIT Sloan Office of External Relations Mission:
To engage alumni, friends and organizations with MIT Sloan and with each other to inspire investment of time, expertise, and financial support.
The Individual Giving Officer is a key member of the MIT Sloan Office of External Relations Leadership Giving
team. This person will hold a portfolio of lead annual prospects ($10k+) and major gift prospects ($250k+) and will
be responsible for cultivation and solicitation goals, determined annually.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (Frontline fundraising – 100%):
• Identify, cultivate, and solicit donors and prospective donors who have the capacity to make lead annual
gifts of $10,000-$100,000 and major gifts (for restricted purposes) of $250,000-$500,000;
• Manage a portfolio of approximately 200 prospects;
• Identify and qualify new prospects in major and minor markets and move these prospects through the
donor engagement process; build successful fundraising strategies by creating individualized cultivation and solicitation plans;
• Express the mission, culture, academic programs, and strategic priorities of the school and Institute;
• Arrange for prospects to meet with appropriate MIT faculty and staff; help plan and execute cultivation events in conjunction with event planning staff;
• Maintain solid communication links with various staff and colleagues across MIT (including Annual Giving,
Alumni Experience, MIT Resource Development) to ensure a coordinated approach to prospect strategy;
• Work collaboratively with donor relations team and initiative leaders to maintain a steady stewardship strategy for portfolio donors;
• Complete timely and constructive contact reports from meetings and deliver timely and effective follow-up to prospects and donors;
• Recognize that personal interaction is a key component in building the school’s relationship with prospects
and therefore work to plan and execute a total of 120 face-to-face (in person and via Zoom) visits per year;
• In consultation with the Director of Development, set a target for number of solicitations per year, with the goals of achieving a progressive annual revenue target as the portfolio is cultivated;
• Liaise with Leaders for Global Operations program office on strategy for dual-degree alumni