Position Announcement: Director of Finance and Operations – Voices Together
Located in: Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Do you see the innate potential in every individual? Do you believe music has the power to transform lives?
Are you eager to apply your financial management, human resources, and operations skills and experience to strengthen an organization committed to improving the communication and social/emotional learning for people on the Autism spectrum or who are otherwise neurodivergent?
Are you ready to be a part of something very special?
Voices Together, a non-profit organization that uses a proprietary, evidence-based music therapy intervention model to empower people on the Autism spectrum or who are otherwise neurodivergent to transform their own lives, is looking for a Director of Finance and Operations.
Voices Together offers its innovative model in schools and communities across the state, with a goal of expanding nationally in the next few years. The Director of Finance and Operations is a new position that will allow you to make your mark in this rapidly growing organization during an exciting and transformative time.
What will you do as Voices Together’s next Director of Finance and Operations?
Financial Management & Operations
(75% of your time)
● Oversee all financial operations including donation, grant, and earned income processing; accounts payable and cash disbursements; payroll; tax filings; general ledger postings; monthly reconciliations and analyses; monthly financial reporting; budget monitoring; and external reporting.
● Provide financial forecasting and fiscal analysis to support Voices Together’s strategic goals.
● Establish and enforce compliance with financial policies, procedures, and internal controls, including proper separation of duties and adherence to Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and local, state, and federal regulations.
● Lead the annual budgeting process, working with fellow Leadership Team members to prepare revenue projections, operating expenses, capital expenditures, and program and grant budgets.
● Offer recommendations for areas of fiscal growth, reduction of expenses, and risk mitigation.
● Serve as the liaison to vendors providing finance-related services including banking, bookkeeping, annual audit, tax preparation and filing, payroll, issuance of Forms 1099, and other tax reporting requirements.
● In conjunction with the CEO, serve as a primary interface with the Board on financial matters.
● Ensure the efficiency and effectiveness of Voices Together’s business operations. Offer recommendations for enhancing operations, improving vendor-provided services, and maximizing operational investments.
● Manage building lease relationships and ensure office facilities are stocked and well-maintained.
Human Resources (HR)
(25% of your time)
● Provide recommendations related to organizational needs and structure.
● Serve as liaison to the outsourced HR vendor to implement and oversee HR policies and procedures that include hiring, onboarding, performance management, conflict resolution, employment practices, and termination.
● Oversee the benefits programs.
● Understand and apply applicable laws, policies, and workplace procedures to ensure timely, consistent, and accurate compliance.
Why Voices Together?
The mission of Voices Together is to empower people on the Autism spectrum or who are otherwise neurodivergent to transform their own lives. Voices Together offers a proprietary, evidence-based music therapy model – VOICSS® – developed by founder and CEO, Yasmine White. White founded the nonprofit Voices Together in 2007 to make this unique therapy widely available, particularly to children and young adults who are also economically disadvantaged. Research has confirmed that Voices Together’s evidence-based therapeutic intervention model enables significant improvement in social/emotional learning, communication, and self-advocacy in children, teens, and adults.
A seven-member board of directors represents and advocates for Voices Together in the larger community. Board members serve as fiduciaries of the organization and the mission is advanced effectively. A 13-member advisory council provides valuable insights, support and expertise that inform the growth and development of our programs.
Voices Together has a 25-person staff and a current budget of $2.7M and is expected to continue its trajectory of rapid. The organization engages and trains only board-certified music therapists, trained in its model, to deliver this unique and evidence-based therapeutic service. Since 2007, these talented individuals have used VOICSS® to improve the lives of approximately 6,000 neurodivergent children, teens, and adults.
Want to know more? Visit www.voicestogether.org.
Key lived experiences, attributes, and ought in the Director of Finance and Operations
● Belief in Voices Together’s mission and keen interest and excitement in helping the organization grow
● Formal training and prior leadership team experience in a finance, human resources, and operations role
● Considerable knowledge of policies, procedures, principles, controls, methods, and techniques of financial management
● Strong understanding of, and extensive professional experience, with:
- Accounting/GAAP principles
- Budgeting and forecasting
- Donation processing
- Grant reporting
- Financial analysis
- Financial statement preparation and reporting
- Cash flow management
- Account reconciliations
- Accounts payable
- Banking services
● Experience managing vendors and negotiating contracts, especially in the areas of audit and tax, insurance, human resources, and benefits administration
● Working knowledge of human resources functions with direct experience in structuring, hiring, onboarding, and continually building a team
● Ability to take initiative and bring forward ideas and recommendations
● Propensity to “think big” while still maintaining attention to detail and a willingness to be hands-on to achieve goals
● Commitment to the principles and practices of diversity, equity and inclusion
● High degree of self-motivation and flexibility, with the humility and attitude to work effectively in a team environment
● Highly organized with the ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities in a fast-paced environment
● An understanding of social entrepreneurship and the ways public and private organizations can work together
● Excellent computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office and QuickBooks
How To Apply
Think you are the next Voices Together Director of Finance and Operations?
To apply, click on the link to the Director of Finance and Operations position profile at ArmstrongMcGuire.com/apply. You will see instructions for uploading your compelling cover letter, resume, salary requirements, and professional references. Please provide all requested information to be considered. In case of any technical problems, contact email@example.com. No phone calls, please, and no applications will be accepted by email or directly from third-party posting sites.
Review of candidates will begin in September 2021 and continue until the position is filled.
Salary is commensurate with candidate experience and begins in the $70K range. Benefits include medical and dental insurance with options for accident, life, and short-term disability insurance; 401K and Roth IRA plans; paid holidays; continuing education; and generous paid time off and sick time.
Voices Together actively seeks a diverse pool of candidates and is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, ability/disability, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, or age.