Founded in 1974, Coastal Community Foundation works with people and organizations who want to make a lasting difference through philanthropy. We are rooted in the community from 40+ years of experience in the Lowcountry. Our proactive approach to donor services, fund flexibility and opportunities to engage with the community make us the partner of choice for hundreds of donors in coastal South Carolina.
We run many programs and initiatives, including competitive grants for nonprofits and an annual scholarship program. We dynamically respond to changing needs, like disaster response during Hurricane Matthew or when we established the Lowcountry Unity Fund in the wake of the Emanuel AME Church massacre. By understanding local needs and remembering the unique history of our region, we carefully invest our resources to protect, enhance and change our community for the better.
Coastal Community Foundation is affiliated with the Southeastern Council on Foundations and serves nine counties in coastal South Carolina: Charleston, Beaufort, Berkeley, Colleton, Dorchester, Georgetown, Hampton, Horry and Jasper. The Foundation maintains office locations in Charleston and Beaufort.
With a mission to foster philanthropy for the lasting good of the community, Coastal Community Foundation manages more than $250 million in assets and awarded more than $17 million in grants in 2016.
As of: January 1, 2018
Vice President of Finance
Paygrade: $75,000 – $90,000
Vice President of Finance
Exempt, Full-Time Employee
The Controller is the primary accounting and tax manager for Coastal Community Foundation and its supporting organizations. The Controller performs a key role for Coastal Community Foundation (the Foundation) by performing key finance and accounting tasks, by managing the annual financial statement audit, tax and information reporting processes, by assisting with budgeting and financial performance reviews for the organizations and by supporting select human resources functions.
The Controller will agree with and demonstrate respect for the Foundation’s belief that “diversity” means the active inclusion of the entire community as welcomed participants in all Foundation activities; support the Foundation’s practice of encouraging diversity, equity and inclusiveness as the cornerstones of all that the Foundation does.
Finance and Accounting Responsibilities
- Oversees the monthly and annual financial close process ensuring all required entries and reconciliations are completed
- Performs intercompany eliminations, journal entries and reconciliations as needed
- Prepares internal financial statements on a timely basis
- Participates in the accounts payable process with vendor management and cash disbursement oversight
- Assists in the preparation of external financial statements and financial information requests
- Supports the Finance Manager by monitoring credit card compliance, petty cash and annual 1099 generation
Budgeting and Financial Performance Review
- Assists the Vice President of Finance in the development of and monitoring of annual budgets
- Assists the Vice President of Finance in completing analytical reviews of key performance indicators and financial modeling as needed
Financial Statement Audit, Tax and Information Reporting Management
- Coordinates the completion of a timely annual financial statement audit
- Oversees the completion of annual Trust 1041 Tax Returns, annual IRS Form 990 and 990-T Returns with the support of external preparers
- Assists as needed in the completion of required annual filings including South Carolina Secretary of State filings
Human Resources Support
- Supports responsible staff and vendors in payroll and benefits processing
- Leads the annual benefits renewal process with support of the Vice President of Finance
- Assists the Vice President of Finance in retirement administration with the support of the retirement plan administrator
- Communicates regularly with department members, fellow staff members and leadership team members regarding accounting questions and financial performance management
- Prepares and performs financial presentations and other communications for internal and external stakeholders
- Assists donors, Board members, grantees and the general public in a courteous, helpful and respectful manner, with everyone given equal consideration
- Assists in documenting and maintaining of accounting policies & procedures as directed
Knowledge, skills, experience, and education needed
- Bachelor’s degree required, master’s degree in accounting or business preferred
- 5+ years of accounting experience required
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, with the ability to learn Financial Edge financial software package and others as necessary
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills required
- Integrity, high attention to detail, and project management skills are necessary for this position.
- Certified Public Accountant preferred
- Consolidating financial statement preparation experience preferred
- Nonprofit accounting and tax knowledge preferred
- Trust accounting and tax treatment preferred
- Payroll and benefits administration knowledge preferred
How To Apply
To apply, submit a resume, cover letter and essay response to the questions listed below.
1. Why do you want to work for Coastal Community Foundation?
Please submit materials to email@example.com by Sunday, December 31st for consideration.