The Skillman Foundation, located in Detroit, MI, is committed to improving the lives of Detroit children. We are a private, place-based philanthropic organization committed to expanding educational and economic opportunities for Detroit youth. We believe that when Detroit children thrive, Detroit thrives. For more information, visit www.skillman.org.
The Foundation is seeking a Special Projects Manager who will report directly to the Associate Vice President, Organizational Excellence & Impact. This dynamic role works closely with all functions in the Office of The President to affect change and advance the Foundation’s Opportunity Agenda for Detroit Children. The Special Projects Manager will work collaboratively with staff as well as with external partners. This position also works closely with the Foundation’s President & CEO by driving key, strategic projects (internally and externally) that have a direct impact on the Foundation’s mission.
- Manage multiple high-level projects and initiatives including establishing timelines; plotting and organizing the activities and resources needed to achieve objectives; overseeing and supporting execution; monitoring possible influencing factors; keeping proper documentation; and maintaining exceptional communication with staff and external partners.
- Play a key role supporting the President & CEO and the Executive Leadership Team to execute ambitious external relations activities. Activities include preparing for key meetings with external partners and audiences, and assisting in the development and execution of reports, presentations, and materials for external relations as well as for the Foundation’s Board of Trustees.
- Serve as an external representative for the Foundation (meetings, conferences, etc.).
- Support the Associate Vice President, Organizational Excellence & Impact and the President & CEO to develop new partnerships with mission-aligned organizations across the public, private and philanthropic sectors.
- Work alongside the Associate Vice President, Organizational Excellence & Impact to ensure the internal development and sharing of continuous improvement processes, including tools to monitor progress of implementation of the Foundation’s organizational goals.
- Assist in research and development efforts with the Foundation’s staff and Board on the diversity, equity and inclusion work.
- Partner with the Foundation’s communications staff to share knowledge, both internally and externally, through presentations, meetings, publications, blog posts, and other digital platforms.
- Employ advanced facilitation skills and support the sharing of organizational knowledge internally through organization-wide learning opportunities.
- Support the evaluation of data and help Office of the President team members determine best ways to visually depict data to help move an agenda for children.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Experience, Education and Skill Set:
- Bachelor’s Degree required. Minimum of five years of advanced project management experience. Prior experience in the nonprofit sector is preferred, but not required.
- Strong project management and organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple priorities and high-level initiatives while maintaining flexibility.
- In-depth experience with Microsoft applications and data visualization tools. Experience with info graphics and graphic design preferred.
- Strong ability to facilitate meetings and conversations, oriented at setting objectives and deliverables.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal) including the ability to listen effectively, respond appropriately and tactfully, and work collaboratively with people from different backgrounds and cultures.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a complex, team-based environment, focusing on collaboration and inclusion.
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with a wide range of stakeholders including youth, residents, nonprofit professionals, and civic leaders.
- Proven analytical, critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills including the ability to analyze and synthesize complex material.
- Innovative strategic thinker who is able to anticipate next steps to successfully complete work.
- Exceptional work ethic, integrity, dependability and ability to utilize independent judgement while working effectively.
- Proven ability to utilize discretion and maintain confidential information.
- Commitment to the Foundation’s mission and core values of stewardship, integrity, excellence, inclusiveness, equal opportunity, service delivery, effectiveness, and respect.
How To Apply
This position is a full-time salaried position. The Skillman Foundation offers competitive salary offerings, and excellent benefits that include medical, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, 401k (with a match), life insurance, and disability coverage. If you are interested, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com no later than Friday, April 5, 2019. No phone calls please.
The Skillman Foundation is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.