Self-Help is a leading national community development financial institution (CDFI) headquartered in Durham, NC. Founded in 1980, Self-Help has provided over $6.9 billion in financing to 112,000 families, individuals and businesses underserved by traditional financial institutions. It helps drive economic development and strengthen communities by financing hundreds of homebuyers each year, as well as nonprofits, child care centers, community health facilities, public charter schools, and residential and commercial real estate projects. The Self-Help family of non-profit organizations includes North Carolina’s Self-Help Credit Union, Self-Help Federal Credit Union, Self-Help Ventures Fund and the Center for Responsible Lending, a national policy and advocacy organization addressing abusive lending practices. Through its credit union network, Self-Help serves over 120,000 people in North Carolina, California, Chicago and Florida and offers a full range of financial products and services. Learn more at www.self-help.org, www.self-helpfcu.org and www.responsiblelending.org.
The Investment Associate is responsible for raising deposits for Self-Help Credit Union by coordinating regional, state, and national campaigns targeting institutions and higher wealth individuals looking to invest funds in a mission aligned institution, and by enhancing the deposit-raising efforts of our branch staff by providing training, strategic guidance, and implementation support. The Investment Associate serves an important role in supporting the growth of Self-Help Credit Union by coordinating all deposit-raising efforts, and connecting the organization to a broad range of socially responsible investors that live outside of our branch areas. This role is primarily focused on raising deposits and plays a key leadership role in coordinating and leading the strategies, communications, and outreach activities that constitute the deposit-raising function within the credit union.
• Develop and execute strategies for raising mission-aligned deposits directly from Socially Responsible and Impact Investors in North Carolina, the South, and nationally by creating campaigns, conducting outreach, and leveraging existing relationship to ensure meeting annual deposit raising financial goals.
• Directly develop, maintain and manage relationships with socially-responsible and mission-oriented investors, firms and their advisors.
• Manage Bank Enterprise Award (BEA) and Depository Trust Company (DTC)-eligible CD deposit programs and partnerships
• Develop and maintain relationships with high net worth individuals, mutual funds, nonprofit organizations, faith-based organizations, banks, businesses and others interested in community and socially-responsible investment.
• Prepare proposals that will answer impact, financial, and insurance-related questions from potential investors.
• Maintain dialogue/make regular contact with a selection of key investors to provide enhanced stewardship and gain a better understanding of the reasoning they have for opening or closing large deposits with us.
• Work cooperatively with Impact Reporting Manager and the operations teams to prepare reports and assess data regarding the inflow and outflow of deposits, as well as the impact of particular campaigns and outreach efforts
• Use team systems (i.e. Salesforce) to input and manage data used to track relevant cultivation targets
• Provide support and training to branch staff and leadership in formulating deposit-raising strategies and campaigns.
• Promote Self-Help and its credit unions in meetings, conferences and to the general public.
• Work effectively with other SH Colleagues to coordinate outreach, membership cultivation, and the development of marketing materials and more generalized messaging to external audiences.
• Perform other duties as may be deemed necessary.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent and at least 3 to 5 years of experience in community development, fundraising, sales, financial services or other related areas. A graduate degree in a related field may be considered in lieu of work experience.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to develop and maintain strong relationships with potential investors and internal and external partners.
• Ability to provide the highest level of customer service and ability to provide detailed follow through.
• Knowledge of investment options available to individual and institutional investors.
• Ability to use social media to effectively communicate to key stakeholders.
• Proficiency with Word, Excel, PowerPoint as well as SalesForce or similar CRM programs.
• Sensitivity to low-wealth communities and a desire to work in a racially and socially diverse organization that strongly values collaboration.
• Ability and willingness to travel as needed.
• Ability and willingness to work overtime as needed.
• Experience with deposit raising in a financial services organization.
• Experience with CRM platform or SalesForce.
• Prior experience in financial planning, marketing or community development finance.
Frequently requires use of manual dexterity and repetitive motions, primarily with the wrists, hands, and/or fingers. Must be able to occasionally lift and exert force of up to 10 pounds.
Competitive nonprofit salary, based on experience, plus a generous benefits package.
How To Apply
To apply, send resume and cover letter, describing why you are a fit for this position, to email@example.com. Please include the position title as the subject. Application must be received by November 21, 2016 to ensure consideration. Applications received after this date may or may not be considered, depending on the applicant pool. The position will remain posted until filled.
Self-Help is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, class, age, religion, disability that can be accommodated, marital status, ancestry, nationality, family status or sexual orientation.