Step Up For Students empowers families to pursue and engage in the most appropriate learning options for their children, with an emphasis on families who lack the information and financial resources to access these options. As a state-approved nonprofit scholarship funding organization, Step Up helps administer five scholarships for Florida schoolchildren: the Florida Tax Credit Scholarship Program (FTC) and the Family Empowerment Scholarship (FES) for lower-income families, the Gardiner Scholarship for children with certain special needs, the Hope Scholarship for public school students who are bullied or victims of violence and the Reading Scholarship Accounts for public school students in third through fifth grade who struggle with reading. Step Up raises over $700 million and serves approximately 150,000 students annually throughout the state of Florida.
Work with the development team to ensure that fundraising goals required to fund the Step Up For Students Tax Credit Program in Florida are met or exceeded. The goal for 2020-21 is $700 million. The candidate will contribute in the creation and implementation of strategies for the cultivation and solicitation of a portfolio of tax credit scholarship prospects, including corporate and/or foundation donors. Candidate may assist in proposal preparation for private and public charitable foundations, corporate foundations, and local/state/federal agencies; in charge of major donor research, primarily with corporations. Candidate will work closely with development team to determine effective strategies in identifying and cultivating prospective donor companies. Will be involved and engage appropriate partners in the field and staff, keeping them apprised of interactions, issues or concerns.
- Conducts research and identifies corporate opportunities in order to build a solid portfolio of viable major donor prospects/companies to assist development team in achieving fundraising goals. Carries out additional research to support the organization in the development of a prospect pipeline and prospect qualification.
- A track-record of success in developing campaigns and meeting high level fundraising goals.
- Outstanding writing and editing skills. Proficient in composing and editing compelling and accurate copy.
- Might be requested to assist in grant writing and track progress of grant submissions and responds to reviewer requests for information as they may arise.
- Ability to manage a portfolio of 300+ donors and prospects.
- Assists development team in developing fundraising strategies and financial goals as well as other necessary departmental projects.
- Assists department with marketing initiatives and stewardship/administrative duties as necessary.
- Assists department in attending industry conferences and tradeshows to spread awareness of SUFS and increase participation of more corporations in the Florida Tax Credit Scholarship Program.
The above is not an all inclusive list of all duties performed by this job title, only a representative summary of the primary duties and responsibilities. Development Officer may be required to perform other additional duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing, communications or related field and minimum of 8+ years high level fundraising experience or equivalent combination of 10+ years experience in major gifts, direct fundraising and/or successful sales experience required. Must have a high integrity work ethic and be able to maintain confidentiality. Is a person of high character who exhibits consistency and acts in line with a clear and visible set of values and beliefs. Direct and truthful but can also keep confidences. Ability to work independently but also must work well in a team environment.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Demonstrates experience using effective interpersonal skills, listening, diplomacy and tact to build strong relationships with donors, volunteers, and all levels of staff.
- Well-developed written and oral communication, negotiating and organizational skills.
- Knowledge of current trends in charitable giving.
- Knowledge of databases, Internet and personal productivity software such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint is required. Experience with CRM platforms such as Raiser’s Edge is helpful.
- Successful experience in managing and tracking multiple prospects and donors.
- Manages time and diverse activities under deadlines while delivering quality results.
- Successful experience in developing, directing and managing multiple projects.
- Strong communication and presentation skills; ability to persuasively convey the mission of SUFS to diverse groups including donors, corporate executives, board members and others who are important to the organization’s overall prosperity.
- Ability to work with and communicate with a wide range of people – the public, volunteers, influential donors, prospects, and others.
- Ability to educate and inform prospective and existing donors about appropriate giving vehicles.
- Ability to build constructive and effective relationships with development team.
- Ability to work effectively in high-tension situations and maintain composure under pressure.
- Have a passion for our mission and a strong desire to impact a dynamic non-profit organization.
- Ability to determine an individual’s interest’s, capacity and potential for helping SUFS meet its goals, and act appropriately to tie those interests with SUFS’s work.
- Ability to communicate a compelling and inspired vision or sense of core purpose.
- Ability to work in high-visibility, fast-paced and stressful environment.
- Outstanding interpersonal and self-motivational skills. A creative and innovative thinker.
- Manages and prioritizes tasks from multiple sources.
- Proven project management and excellent organization skills.
This position occasionally requires the abilities of standing, fingering or manual dexterity, walking, lifting up to 10 lbs, repetitive finger motion and/or reaching or stretching.
This position frequently requires the ability of sitting.
This position regularly requires the abilities of hearing and speaking.
Work requires only minor physical exertion and/or physical strain.
Willingness to travel.
Work environment involves infrequent exposure to disagreeable elements.
How To Apply
Please apply on our website at: