The Schott Foundation for Public Education is a national public fund that serves as a bridge between philanthropic partners and advocates to build movements to provide all students with an opportunity to learn. Schott’s mission is to develop and strengthen broad-based and representative movements to achieve fully resourced, quality PreK–12 public education for all children across the nation. For thirty years, Schott has been an instrumental leader and partner in building a more just society. Looking ahead, Schott believes that a national, well-funded movement can address opportunity gaps that continue to plague our country. Championing existing grassroots organizations that focus on addressing public education, racial justice, economic justice, healthy living, and creating safe communities is critical. Our work with grassroots and philanthropic partners supports creating a comprehensive network that eliminates racism, changes systems, and creates wellness and opportunity for all children.
Finance and Operations
Reports to Senior Vice President of Strategy
The Finance and Operations Director is a multifaceted position and is responsible for financial accounting, bookkeeping, technology, and other operations of Schott Foundation and its fiscal sponsored projects. This person ensures alignment of the organization’s financial, information technology and data systems, and other operations and works across departments. The Finance and Operations Director reports to the Senior Vice President of Strategy.
Finance Administration and Management (50%)
• Oversee and manage all internal financial processes and maintain financial records, including overseeing cash management, financial forecasts and projects, accounting processes, monthly and annual financial reports, and audit and tax related matters.
• Track and assist in managing restricted grants, including proper spend down for purpose, time, and to align with budget.
• Support asset management and investment policy with respect to foundation endowments, retirement plans, and other accounts in conjunction with the President and CEO and SVP of Strategy.
• Prepare reports and present financials at key meetings, including monthly all-staff meetings and department meetings, regular board meetings, staff retreats, and other meetings as necessary.
• Supervise the Staff Accountant while implementing and strengthening routine systems for invoicing, accounts payable and accounts receivable. Work in conjunction with our outside consulting firm that provides account reconciliations, monthly closing procedures and financial statement packages, as well as annual financial audit document preparation and logistics.
• Serve as liaison to bank and credit card companies for any questions and clarifications.
• Manage and administer organizational insurance requirements, including liability with independent insurance providers and workers’ compensation administration.
• Primary relationship manager and point of contact with all finance, audit and information technology vendors, contractors, and consultants.
• Lead the annual budget process with the President and CEO and SVP of Strategy, including facilitating and leading meetings and discussions with leadership and other team members.
• In partnership with the SVP of Strategy, take a proactive role in management and oversight of the organization’s finances.
Human Resources Administration and Personnel (20%)
• Manage and oversee all human resources functions, including administering payroll and medical, health, dental and vision insurance services via Schott’s outsourced HR organization, HR Knowledge.
• Primary point of contact and relationship manager with all third-party benefits vendor and responsible for managing the annual benefits open enrollment process, including serving as the foundation’s Plan 403b Plan Administrator and supporting the management of 403b employer and staff contributions.
• Responsible for all human resources related compliance, including employment eligibility, state and federal compliance, staff handbook, and required staff trainings.
• Manage all aspects of virtual office infrastructure and operations, including technology resources, supplies and materials, and access to shared office space, conference rooms, or physical space needed to host conferences, convenings, or events.
Information Technology (20%)
• Primary relationship manager and point of contact with Information Technology vendors, contractors, and consultants.
• Support the management and continuous improvement of the organization’s data management system and document management system.
• Manage the organization’s cybersecurity protocols and implement measures with staff and ensure compliance is achieved.
• Manage information technology functions for staff, including serving as liaison between staff and third-party IT vendor.
• Ensure compliance with organizational policies and protocols, including email and cloud storage.
• Advise staff on industry best practices and training opportunities.
• Work with the President and CEO and Senior Vice Presidents to prepare and administer all contracts, agreements, and related documents.
• Draft and review contracts, agreements, and related documents in consultation with the SVP of Strategy to ensure compliance with Schott practice.
• Manage contractual relations with vendors and other third parties.
• Maintain all contracts and related documentation to ensure compliance with all terms and applicable laws and policies.
Other Duties as Assigned (5%)
• Other duties as assigned by the SVP of Strategy.
• Excellent decision-making skills to maximize the coordination and effectiveness of the position’s diverse responsibilities.
• Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills to expand and maintain long-term and supportive relationships with all internal and external parties.
• Ability to think of new and improved ways to increase organization’s capacity and effectiveness.
• Strong interpersonal and partnership development skills.
• Ability to create annual and long-range planning tools and demonstrated flexibility in making changes to reflect a dynamic working environment.
• Commitment to ensuring fiscal integrity and ability to handle highly confidential information with discretion.
• Creativity, flexibility, sound judgment, and ability to take initiative and work independently.
• Demonstrated ability to work as an effective team member and provide proactive leadership in a complex and fast-paced environment.
• A strong sense of passion, purpose, and sense of humor.
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting required, Master’s degree or higher preferred.
• 7+ years of relevant experience preferred.
The Schott Team currently operates virtually with staff located throughout the United States. This position requires limited travel to staff retreats and board meetings up to six times a year.
Physical Demands and Work Environment Factors
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee will sit for long periods of time and may use repetitive wrist and hand motions involved in typing and computer work as well as in sorting and handling documents. The employee is regularly required to reach, with hands and arms, and engage in light work that includes moving objects up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and color vision as the employee will have close visual contact with a computer monitor daily.
Equal employment opportunity and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles at the Schott Foundation for Public Education, where employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation/preference, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law.
How To Apply
Please email your resume and a substantive cover letter to email@example.com. Be sure to include “Finance and Operations Director” in the subject line.