ABOUT THE FOUNDATION
The Powell Foundation is a private, family foundation that strives to be a catalyst for impactful initiatives that enhance the quality of life in the communities it serves. The Foundation prioritizes funding organizations that serve residents in Harris, Travis, and Walker Counties, principally in the fields of public education, the arts, conservation, and human services. A primary focus of the Foundation is ensuring that all children have access to a robust, first-class public education and the support needed to develop to their full potential. The Foundation is incorporated in Texas and governed by a board of eleven directors comprised of two generations of the Powell family and three independent directors.It is served by a small staff located in Houston.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Powell Foundation seeks a mission-driven, collaborative, and process oriented professional to join our team as the Senior Manager, Grants Administration and Evaluation. The Senior Manager, Grants Administration and Evaluation will oversee projects and systems that enable the Foundation to deliver grant dollars to its community and improve its ability to define the impact of grantmaking. To do so, the Senior Manager will create, operate and strengthen grantmaking systems and data analysis that lead to the distribution of more than $15 million per year. The position reports to the Executive Director. The successful candidate will be someone who enjoys detail-oriented projects, systems management, and creation of reporting and analytical tools.
The Senior Manager’s role includes the following:
Grants Administration and Operations
- Serve as the administrator for the Foundation’s grant management system, tracking programmatic activity, maintaining accurate and timely records, and ensuring effective and efficient processes throughout all stages of the grant cycle
- Build strong reliable systems and workflows to drive effective grantmaking operations; consider end-users when identifying ways to adjust and improve processes
- Provide technical assistance to grantees related to the online application and reporting processes; lead the work necessary to ensure grantees submit required documents accurately and that all grants are paid in a timely fashion
- Ensure the Foundation’s grantmaking adheres to recommended and required practices, including reconciling grant data on a monthly basis and verifying grantees meet all Foundation and legal requirements
- Proactively identify opportunities to improve upon workflow and enhance grantmaking operations considering the needs of a wide-range of end users including grantees, Staff, and the Board; build reliable plans to translate innovative ideas to tangible and strategic solutions
- Guide the successful migration and implementation of the Foundation’s SalesForce-enable grant management system, leveraging strong project management skills to interact with internal and external stakeholders and ensuring on-time project deliverables
- Use SalesForce to implement solutions that improve grantmaking efficiency and effectiveness, accelerating the Foundation’s ability to support grantees; demonstrate an eagerness to learn new SalesForce technologies (including third-party applications) to enhance portals/communities and build other customizable features
- Manage the SalesForce platform through daily ongoing support, configuration, and project work; train stakeholders on SalesForce and third-party application usage
- Design, collect, and analyze grant data, clearly communicating relevant insights to inform grantmaking decisions; create, design and maintain dashboards to track the Foundation’s progress towards goals and targets
- Play a lead role in the Foundation’s ongoing data reporting and visualization efforts, building compelling reports and narratives and leveraging visuals to help convey the meaning of the data in powerful ways
- Support the development of metrics that enable the measurement of the Foundation’s impact; provide support to the Executive Director and Program Officers by distilling key learnings from the data
- Provide strategic input and guidance for staff and Board based on analysis of grantee reported information
- Maintain strong, positive working relationships with grantees, Staff, Board, and other peers within the sector; considers the needs of the Foundation and intentionally work, to build relationships to support those needs
- Support the Foundation’s finance functions; generate requested information, data and reports from information maintained in the grants management database or other sources of information.
- Find ways to help the team function more effectively, recognizing the interdependencies of each body of work; provide support for team members and proactively share resources and knowledge across the organization
- Conduct analysis, or other projects at request of Program Officers and the Executive Director
- Participate in and help execute other Foundation duties as assigned to support the team and organization
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE DESIRED
The ideal candidate for the position will have at least 5 years of professional experience, including experience using SalesForce. The successful candidate will demonstrate an ability to build relationships with diverse audiences, humility, demonstrated track record of working well in a team environment, exceptional attention to detail, an ability to organize complex information and systems, and an exceptional service approach to his/her work.
Specifically, the successful candidate will have:
- A bachelor’s degree with at least 5-7 years of related work experience, particularly as a user and, ideally, an administrator of a SalesForce system
- Strong commitment to the mission of the Powell Foundation and passion for the work of our grantees
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills; experience and comfort in communicating with all levels within an organization/family
- Strong project management skills
- Demonstrated research and analytical skills and ability to prepare reporting materials that drive actions
- Roll-up-one’s sleeves attitude
- Ability to be responsive and accessible to requests for support and guidance, particularly around technical aspects of grantmaking
- Demonstrated proactive approaches to problem-solving with strong decision-making capability
- Forward looking thinker, who actively seeks opportunities and proposes solutions
- An orientation toward servant-leadership, including strong listening skills
- Proven background as a team player who strives to understand and deliver excellent customer service
- Exceptional professional maturity, judgment, integrity and trustworthiness in all actions, including ability to maintain confidentiality and exercise discretion with sensitive information
- Self-awareness and growth mindset; commitment to being a lifelong learner and giving and receiving professional feedback in the spirit of growth and improved performance
- Proficient computer skills and familiarity with database systems.
- Comfortable working in a small office environment
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should apply here. Letters of interest including cover letter and resume will be received until May 28, 2021.
Salary will be set in accordance with the successful candidate’s experience. A comprehensive benefits package, including health and dental benefits, generous paid-time-off (PTO), a retirement savings plan, and an annual professional development stipend, is offered to all full-time employees. The position is located in Houston, Texas.
We will contact those candidates who most closely match the requirements. We thank you in advance for your interest.
The Powell Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants and employees are treated without regard to such factors as race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other reason prohibited by law.