North Star Fund is a social justice fund that supports grassroots organizing led by communities of color building power in New York City and the Hudson Valley. We give grants to grassroots organizations through a process that shifts decision-making power towards communities fighting for justice. We organize people from North Star Fund is a social justice fund that supports grassroots organizing led by communities of color building power in New York City and the Hudson Valley. We give grants to grassroots organizations through a process that shifts decision-making power towards communities fighting for justice. We organize people from all backgrounds to mobilize resources towards social justice movements.
Through our Community Funding Committees, local organizers volunteer their time and expertise to help lead North Star Fund’s grantmaking and governance. From a modest committee of a few activists and a couple of staff members, our grantmaking has now grown to include three major priorities: organizing in New York City, Black-Led organizing, and most recently, organizing in Hudson Valley. Now with three years of grantmaking in Hudson Valley, the Hudson Valley Program Officer will continue and grow North Star Fund’s commitment to provide holistic support to emerging organizations building power in low-income communities and communities of color.
The Hudson Valley Program Officer will facilitate our activist-led grantmaking and capacity building programs in the Hudson Valley, as well as work with the full program team to design and facilitate trainings and grantmaking in New York City. The ideal candidate will be an experienced organizer and facilitator with a proven track record of managing logistics. This position will report to the Deputy Director and will work in the Hudson Valley three days a week and in New York City two days a week.
● Convene and support our Community Funding Committee in the Hudson Valley to make our grantmaking decisions through a transparent, activist-led process;
● Ensure legal and due diligence requirements are met, including collecting necessary documents from grantees, performing accurate data entry and keeping accurate files;
● Provide support that strengthens our grantees’ ability to do their work and connect to other resources, including designing and facilitating capacity building programs;
● Represent North Star Fund in philanthropic spaces and build relationships with other funders;
● Partner with resource mobilization and communications staff to amplify the tremendous impact our grantees have on the Hudson Valley’s political landscape, through blog posts, grant reports, presentations, and donor meetings;
● Work with program team to develop curriculum and facilitate grantmaking processes in NYC as needed.
● Solid understanding of progressive social justice issues, community organizing and grassroots activism in the Hudson Valley, and ability to communicate this effectively;
● Strong facilitation and program or curriculum design skills;
● Excellent administrative and organizational skills: able to meet deadlines, manage a project with many moving parts and sweat the details;
● Fundraising experience preferred;
● Bilingual English/Spanish preferred.
The salary range is $60,000 to $75,000, plus excellent benefits.
How To Apply
North Star Fund is firmly committed to equity and diversity and to the recruitment and retention of people from backgrounds traditionally excluded from philanthropy, including Black, Indigenous and people of color, women, LGBTQ, elders, and disabled people.
To apply: Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls please. Application close date: Open until filled.