The Indianapolis Public Library Foundation is a not-for-profit organization that raises private contributions to support The Indianapolis Public Library. The Foundation’s values are service, innovation, collaboration and diversity, equity and inclusion.
The Development Officer – Friends of the Library is a part of the Development Team, managing the Library Foundation’s annual fund program and a portfolio of foundation, corporate and organization donors. This position reports to the Vice President.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage the Friends of the Library Annual Fund program by:
- Developing schedule, content, mailing lists for soliciting and stewarding Friends of the Library. Coordinating printing and mailing needs with staff and vendors.
- Using Raiser’s Edge to measure the success of the Friends fundraising program.
- Implementing new strategies for donor acquisition.
- Cultivating and upgrading Friends of the Library to become managed individual donors.
- Growing the monthly, recurring donor program, Loyal Friends, and providing excellent stewardship to existing Loyal Friends.
- Maintain and grow a portfolio of foundation, corporate, organization and managed individual donors by:
- Identifying and qualifying prospective donors.
- Cultivating prospective donors.
- Soliciting new and renewed gifts with oral and/or written presentations, grant applications, pledge forms and other tools.
- Stewarding donors with appropriate visits, reports and updates.
- Develop and implement cultivation, solicitation and stewardship strategies for Library staff, including managing the annual Library staff campaign.
- Engage with the fundraising for and execution of the Foundation’s annual fundraising event, including sponsorship requests, silent auction item solicitation and stewarding donors during and after the event.
- Participate in staff meetings to develop strategic actions to further organizational goals.
- Maintain information to help determine annual revenue goals and fundraising expenses.
- Attend Development Committee meetings and take minutes; support board members’ fundraising efforts.
- Participate in annual review of proposed Library programs.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Commitment to the Library Foundation’s mission and values.
- A Bachelor’s degree with at least two years of fundraising experience; experience with direct mail/annual fund management and/or proposal writing preferred.
- The ability to secure gifts and meet fundraising goals; experience supporting board-level volunteers in fundraising a plus.
- Excellent written/oral communication skills; the ability to represent the Foundation positively to diverse stakeholders.
- Proficiency using productivity software such as Microsoft 365 (word processing, spreadsheets, calendaring, email, etc.), fundraising software, virtual meeting software, and the internet; experience with Raiser’s Edge a plus.
- Leadership, intelligence and a strong work ethic.
- Excellent attention to detail and time management.
- Professionalism, discretion and honesty in handling confidential information.
- Enthusiasm, energy and a sense of humor.
- Transportation for work-related travel within the Indianapolis area.
- Availability to work occasional evenings and weekends for events.
How To Apply
Apply via the application portal: https://the-indianapolis-public-library-foundation.prismhr-hire.com/job/400790/development-officer-friends-of-the-library