About Us: The Indianapolis Public Library Foundation is a not-for-profit organization that raises private contributions to support The Indianapolis Public Library. The Foundation’s values are service, innovation, collaboration and diversity, equity and inclusion.
The Indianapolis Public Library Foundation
Job Title: Development Officer – Friends of the Library
Job Summary: The Development Officer – Friends of the Library is a part of the Development Team, managing the Library Foundation’s annual fund program and a portfolio of foundation, corporate and organization donors. This position reports to the Vice President.
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
Terms: FLSA Exempt. Full-Time. Monday-Friday 8 a.m.-5 p.m. with occasional evenings and weekends. Hybrid schedule with two work-from-home days weekly is available after the first 90 days of employment.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage the Friends of the Library annual fund program by:
- Developing schedules, content and mailing lists for soliciting and stewarding Friends of the Library. Coordinating printing and mailing needs with staff and vendors.
- Using Raiser’s Edge to measure the success of the Friends fundraising program.
- Implementing new strategies for donor acquisition.
- Cultivating and upgrading Friends of the Library to become managed individual donors.
- Growing the monthly, recurring donor program, Loyal Friends, and providing excellent stewardship to existing Loyal Friends.
- Maintain and grow a portfolio of 25-50 foundation, corporate, organization and managed individual donors by:
- Identifying and qualifying prospective donors.
- Cultivating prospective donors.
- Soliciting new and renewed gifts with oral and/or written presentations, grant applications, pledge forms and other tools.
- Stewarding donors with appropriate visits, reports and updates.
- Develop and implement cultivation, solicitation and stewardship strategies for Library staff, including managing the annual Library staff campaign.
- Engage with the fundraising for and execution of the Foundation’s annual fundraising event, including sponsorship requests, silent auction item solicitation and stewarding donors during and after the event.
- Participate in staff meetings to develop strategic actions to further organizational goals.
- Maintain information to help determine annual revenue goals and fundraising expenses.
- Attend Development Committee meetings and take minutes; support board members’ fundraising efforts.
- Participate in annual review of proposed Library programs.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Commitment to the Library Foundation’s mission and values.
- A Bachelor’s degree.
- At least two years of fundraising experience; experience with direct mail/annual fund management and/or proposal writing preferred.
- The ability to secure gifts and meet fundraising goals; experience supporting board-level volunteers in fundraising preferred.
- Excellent written/oral communication skills; the ability to represent the Foundation positively to diverse stakeholders.
- Proficiency using productivity software (word processing, spreadsheets, calendaring, email, etc.), virtual meeting software, and the internet. Experience with donor databases preferred and Raiser’s Edge specifically is a plus.
- Leadership, intelligence, flexibility and a collaborative work style.
- Excellent attention to detail, organization, time management, dependability and problem-solving skills.
- Professionalism, discretion and honesty in handling confidential information.
- Enthusiasm, energy and a sense of humor.
- This position requires travel for business purposes within the Indianapolis metro area (approximately 25% of work time).
- Prolonged sitting and computer usage.
- Occasional bending and lifting of items up to 20 pounds.
This job description is intended to describe the type and level of work being performed by a person assigned to this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities required by a person so classified.
How To Apply
Please use the link below to submit a cover letter, résumé, three business references with contact information, and a fundraising-related writing sample by Thursday June 30, 2022, at 5 p.m. to apply.