Lumina Foundation is an independent, private foundation committed to increasing the proportion of Americans with high-quality degrees, certificates and other credentials to 60 percent by 2025. Lumina’s outcomes-based approach is to help design and build an accessible, responsive and accountable higher education system while mobilizing the nation to achieve Goal 2025.
The Grants Management Director develops, implements, and oversees the Foundation’s grants management processes, practices and systems by strategically overseeing all grant, special gifts and program related contract administration functions.
* Leads the grants management function by maintaining optimal workflow systems and procedures to administer the foundation’s grants and program related contracts.
* Supports the Foundation’s innovative program strategies, such as Program Related Investments (PRIs) and Strategic Social Investments (SSIs), and other mechanisms, as appropriate.
* Provides effective leadership for grants management officer and grants assistant by designing optimal grants management policies.
* Provides guidance, direction, leadership and support necessary to ensure staff succeed in performing their jobs, achieve their goals and develop professionally. Writes or updates job descriptions and communicates job duties and expectations to staff. Documents job performance, provides constructive input and takes action to correct performance as needed. Understands, communicates and applies organizational policies effectively and consistently. Supervises staff in a manner that balances their interests with the expectations and needs of Lumina.
* Maintains grant and program related contract oversight by forecasting and tracking foundation grants, and strategy and other mission related budget allocations (i.e., Innovation/PRIs, SSIs, Media Partners, Communications, Metrics, Special Gifts, Convenings and Unallocated Reserve budgets, and working with Finance (i.e., Director, Accounting and Controller) to track payout and legal requirements.
* Monitors the financial well-being of grantees and grant progress and develops measures to verify and process payments for completed work.
* Coordinates with the Director, Accounting and Controller to ensure accurate and timely payment of grants and program related contracts, consistent reporting of financial data between the two departments and resolution of grant deficits.
* Coordinates with the Director, Organizational Learning and Alignment to ensure grant management monitoring tasks are performed consistent with grant and program related contract purposes and foundation processes, recognizing the differences between SSIs and Innovation contracts and general grants.
* Ensures legal/IRS compliance across the foundation’s grant making functions.
* Maintains the accuracy, timeliness and integrity of all data within the grants management database by adopting a grants management software system (e.g., SQL, Fluxx, etc.) with the capacity to improve the efficiency of the foundation’s grant review, assessment and disbursement procedures, and ensure data integrity on a regular basis.
* Coordinates with Director, Organizational Learning and Alignment updates to procedures, work process, flow charts and manuals to ensure clear and concise grants and program related contracts administration polices for grantees, contractors and staff.
* Ensures accuracy of manual and electronic grant files including but not limited to coding, reporting, and forms through use of periodic reconciliations and checks.
* Notifies and resolves problems with Strategy Team Directors and, as needed, their Executive Team Leads.
* Performs other duties as assigned by the Chief of Staff and General Counsel
* Strong commitment to the Foundation’s vision and values with the ability to demonstrate that commitment in daily interactions.
Education and Experience
* MBA or JD with at least eight (8) years of work experience applying business skills in the non-profit sector to develop and implement effective programs and systems.
*Compliance and financial management experience including the analysis of data/operational metrics and forecasting.
* Experience in the preparation of proposals and drafting of contracts and agreements.
* Knowledge of higher education systems and issues related to federal policy and student financial support.
* Ability to make decisions in concert with others without complete information and to thrive in an outcomes-oriented, continuously evolving work environment in which thinking beyond the curve is encouraged.
* Project management skills with demonstrated ability to execute and follow through to achieve intended results, by following through on commitments, prioritizing work, and managing time and resources well.
* Demonstrated initiative and ability to take prompt action to identify issues and opportunities.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to communicate accurately, effectively, and in ways appropriate to different audiences.
* Ability to manage internal and external constituents, projects and budgets.
* Analytical, problem-solving, and research abilities and an ability to coordinate with researchers and program evaluators.
* Capable of applying adaptive problem-solving skills in response to unforeseen challenges and new assignments.
* Ability to prioritize a wide range of assignments, organize tasks, and remain flexible to changing and multiple requests.
* Exercise sound judgment in handling sensitive or confidential information.
* Ability to work collegially and diplomatically across the organization and audience groups, with an ability to resolve any conflicts.
* Ability to use technology effectively, including databases, spreadsheets, Microsoft Office 365 products such as Outlook and Word, Salesforce, SuccessFactors, WebEx and Yammer. Work Environment and Physical Demands
* Work is performed in an office environment, mostly sedentary.
* Visual and auditory acuity for extensive use of various forms of technology.
* Travel approximately 5%, including overnight stays.
This Position Summary is only a summary of the typical job functions,not an exhaustive list of all possible responsibilities, and may be subject tochange at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
Applicants should send to the e-mail address below a letter of interest and resume as attachments outlining experience relevant to the position and desired compensation. Please specify the position you are applying for.
Director of Human Resources and Administration
Equal Opportunity Employer