WRF affirms the legacy of Governor Rockefeller, who envisioned a thriving and prosperous Arkansas that benefits all Arkansans. WRF is the catalyst for structural change in Arkansas. We lead the way with a deep commitment to equity, great courage in the face of opposition, and bold collaborative relationships with partners who care deeply to change our state and our nation.
The Communications and Knowledge Director will be a seasoned, skilled storyteller with the ability to craft content that engages audiences around the Foundation’s identity, mission, programming, and impact. We are seeking a communications professional who will lead the organization in shaping a clear and consistent narrative centered on economic, educational, and social equity policy solutions that help all Arkansans thrive. The Communications and Knowledge Director will ensure that the Foundation is a source of reliable data and information by making our research more accessible to a broad set of key audiences. Like all WRF staff, the ideal candidate will have mastery of economic, educational, and social equity. S/he will have a strong commitment to the Foundation’s AR Equity 2025 strategic direction. AR Equity 2025 will be released in the spring of 2019.
Duties and Responsibilities
The responsibilities of the Communications and Knowledge Director (CKD) will fall into five primary categories: Communications Strategy, Brand Management, Campaign Communications, Knowledge Management, and Appreciative Inquiry.
- Communications Strategy – The CKD creates and continually refines a strategic communications plan that furthers the Foundation’s vision and mission. S/he provides thought leadership across the Foundation on strategic and tactical communications.
- Brand Management – The CKD manages the WRF brand and other communications assets. The CKD maximizes communications channels such as the website, marketing collateral, social media, conference participation, and others to raise the profile of WRF and bring attention to the Foundation’s goals and strategies. The CKD maintains positive reactive and proactive media relations, utilizing established and new media partnerships.
- Campaign Communications – The CKD develops and implements the communications for a campaign for equity in the state of Arkansas. S/he supports other Foundation campaigns (i.e., Arkansas Campaign for Grade-Level Reading, ForwARd Arkansas, and Expect More) to achieve the respective goals.
- Knowledge Management – The CKD oversees the Foundation’s collection of data and storytelling to ensure that WRF is learning and sharing what we learn with the field.
- Appreciative Inquiry – The CKD oversees the development and implementation of appreciative inquiry as an outcomes assessment tool.
While no one person will embody all of the qualities enumerated below, the ideal candidate will possess many of the following professional and personal abilities, attributes, and experiences:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in journalism, communications, public relations, marketing, or related field
- Eight plus years relevant work experience in communications with an agency, corporation, or nonprofit organization
- Demonstrated experience partnering with colleagues and organizational leadership to collect raw information and translate that information into multimedia content accessible by diverse audiences
- Experience leading and or collaborating with a digital communications team with in-depth knowledge of digital and social media engagement tactics and trends for audiences in the US
- The ability to actively participate in problem resolution, reacting positively and quickly to changing dynamics; strong troubleshooting capabilities with a skill for remaining flexible and open to internal workflow changes; ability to work well under pressure with tight timelines and the demonstrated ability to approach challenges with tact and diplomacy
How To Apply
Apply with a cover letter, resume, references, and one-page writing sample in Word or PDF format. Applications should be directed to Lisa Dixon, Program Associate: email@example.com. Please place WRF Communications and Knowledge Director and your name in the subject line.