The California Wellness Foundation is a private, independent foundation created in 1992 with a mission to improve the health of the people of California by making grants for health promotion, wellness education and disease prevention. It’s the Foundation’s desire to promote equity and level the playing field so that everyone has access to good-paying jobs, healthy and safe neighborhoods, and quality health care services. Since its founding, Cal Wellness has awarded 8,750 grants totaling more than $987 million. It is one of the state’s largest private foundations.
Cal Wellness has always valued strong communications work and policy efforts to drive meaningful social change. As one of the first foundations to invest in professional communications staff, Call Wellness understands the value of storytelling to engage people and drive action. In 2016, the Foundation combined communications, community relations and public policy work under a newly formed Public Affairs Department. The department is charged with better leveraging the Foundation’s strategic muscle in these areas and fostering additional collaborative work among Foundation staff in support of programmatic efforts to advocate for access and equity.
As a key member of the Public Affairs Department, the digital communications officer will partner with the director of communications in realizing the Foundation’s vision to completely transform our online/digital presence and practices. We seek to align our digital and online presence with the short- and long-term strategic priorities of the Foundation. The digital communications officer will be actively engaged in maintaining and improving the Foundation’s website, and will serve as a partner in developing a strategy for, and executing on, an expansion of our social media presence.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
This position reports to the director of communications and will have day-to day responsibility for the duties listed below.
Content development for website, intranet, social media and email marketing
- Develop and maintain an editorial calendar of content for CalWellness.org and Wellness Within (Cal Wellness’ intranet for staff) by working with the Public Affairs team to identify news, stories and information appropriate for publishing.
- Draft, refine and post content to CalWellness.org and Wellness Within, including writing headlines, reviewing blog posts and repurposing content for other audiences.
- Work with external web vendors to keep the website up to date; use Dreamweaver to make basic updates to the website.
- Manage content review and revisions to finalize materials for publication.
- Draft and refine external communications such as news releases and e-newsletters, and internal communications.
- Measure, analyze and optimize performance of content across all channels so as to improve audience engagement.
- Select and edit visuals (including infographics, photographs and line art) suitable for posting to support content on CalWellness.org and Wellness Within.
- Organize and manage Cal Wellness’ image archives, responding to internal inquiries and requests for images as needed.
- Design and deploy email campaigns and messages.
- Plan and execute content strategy related to the web, search engine optimization, email marketing and social media.
- Scan media for news and information relevant to Cal Wellness’ work and share a daily report with Public Affairs team to inform social media content decisions and internal communications.
- Manage and update a media-monitoring account as needed.
Research and briefing materials
- Conduct research and report on issues, policies, people, events and organizations as needed.
- Draft briefing materials and talking points for communications activities as needed.
Experience & Skills Required
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or communication (or equivalent) and a minimum of four years of experience in web-related marketing and content development.
- Excellent written, analytical and oral communication skills.
- Strong organizational and multitasking skills with attention to detail, and experience with balancing and adhering to deadlines.
- Strong problem-solving skills with a demonstrated ability to meet challenges with resourcefulness and generate innovative approaches and ideas.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Basic knowledge of HTML, Photoshop and Dreamweaver.
- Interest in, and ability to work for, an organization that is mission driven.
- Ability to promote and model the following Foundation values: respect, integrity, accountability, equity, stewardship, excellence, learning and trust.
- Ability to exhibit tact, diplomacy and professionalism in responding to requests from both internal staff and external organizations.
- A high degree of initiative, creativity, enthusiasm and independence; desire to be productive and results oriented.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively and in a team-oriented environment.
Travel and activities outside of the office, predominantly within California, will be required, up to 20 percent of the time.
How To Apply
Please use the following link to apply: