Knight Foundation is a national foundation with strong local roots. We invest in journalism, in the arts, and in the success of cities where brothers John S. and James L. Knight once published newspapers. Our goal is to foster informed and engaged communities, which we believe are essential for a healthy democracy.
Our approach is inclusive and non-partisan; we value freedoms of speech and the press, and we often embrace new and innovative technology to achieve our goals. The qualities we look for are openness to new ideas; courage to push for change; and the expertise and tenacity to achieve the desired results. Tell us what excites you about this opportunity and why you are right for it.
Knight Foundation is seeking a business-focused and impact-oriented leader to oversee investments, partnerships and a network of people and projects designed to improve the long-term sustainability of local news. As the director, you will use your knowledge of the business of journalism to recognize, research and support emerging revenue trends such as membership, subscriptions or events.. You will be responsible for developing and leading ground-breaking initiatives that successfully combat the business challenges faced by local news, which threaten to create news deserts by the thousands.
The position is based in Miami and you will report to the vice president of journalism.
• Developing an active network of diverse business-model experts who have expertise at different-sized organizations and with different revenue models who will support the foundation’s mission to drive journalism sustainability and innovation.
• Sourcing, developing and managing a multimillion-dollar portfolio of innovative projects for Knight Foundation to fund.
• Evangelizing emerging and existing business models that can be replicated to make news more sustainable.
• Partnering with Knight Foundation’s learning and impact team to measure the impact of initiatives, inform strategy and improve results.
• Representing Knight Foundation at local and national forums.
• Providing business expertise to help evaluate grant requests across the entire Journalism portfolio.
Things we look for in a successful candidate:
• Insightful and innovative leader who possesses strong business acumen and a risk-taking mindset.
• Experience directly managing a P&L, preferably – but not necessarily – in media, and especially at a company that underwent substantial business model changes during that tenure.
• A proven track record of running a sustainable business that features multiple revenue streams.
• Skill at building relationships and influencing stakeholders and the broader journalism business community.
• Understanding of journalism – preferably with experience inside news organizations.
How To Apply