Background: Founded in 1953 and independently endowed by William and Maude McKnight, the Minnesota based family foundation has assets of approximately $2 billion and granted about $88 million in 2014. McKnight concentrates resources in the arts; early literacy; the environment; the region and communities; neuroscience and crop research; and select efforts in Southeast Asia and East Africa. McKnight subscribes to the Minnesota Council on Foundations’ “Principles for Minnesota Grantmakers”.
Position Purpose: The Midwest Climate & Energy and Education & Learning program assistant will provide program and administrative support for the Midwest Climate & Energy and Education & Learning programs. Responsibilities include coordinating the grantmaking processes, supporting internal and external hosted meetings and events, helping to facilitate intermediary relationships, and assisting the Program Director and Policy and Program Officer with scheduling.
Key Areas of Responsibilities:
- Provide administrative and program support to the Midwest Climate & Energy and Education & Learning programs.
- Grantmaking Support for E&L
- Provide administrative support to the broader Foundation.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to prepare clearly written summaries and analysis.
- Intellectual curiosity and eagerness to develop basic familiarity with multiple subject matters (i.e. Education & Learning and Midwest Climate & Energy priorities).
- Ability to communicate effectively interpersonally and in group settings.
- Ability to manage heavy workload, adjust effectively to logistical changes or additions, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to maintain flexibility to plan and support ongoing meetings and convenings with grantees, intermediaries, and community members.
- Ability to work with high level of proficiency in Microsoft Office software including Word, Excel, Access and Outlook.
- Ability to manage highly detailed work with speed and accuracy.
Required Education and Experience:
In addition to the above knowledge, skills, and abilities requirements, the ideal candidate for this position will also possess a Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 2 years related full-time professional work experience in a foundation, nonprofit, or government field, or a combination of equivalent experience and training. Work experience with event planning and management strongly preferred.
Personal Attributes needed in this Position:
- Honesty, initiative, and motivation
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
- Work is normally performed in an office work environment with little physical effort required.
- Regular operation of normal office machines (computer, copier, and fax) is required.
- There are occasional evenings and weekends required.
- Some travel outside of The McKnight Foundation office is required.
Apply via The McKnight Foundation website
Applications accepted through February 17, 2015