The Geraldine R. Dodge Foundation is a private foundation based in Morristown, New Jersey. Established in 1974, the Dodge Foundation supports arts, education, environment, informed communities, and poetry to connect communities and influence social change to achieve an equitable New Jersey. To date, the Foundation has made nearly $500 million in grants and currently has more than $300 million in assets.
Throughout its history, the Dodge Foundation has nurtured leaders, ideas, and institutions that use creative problem-solving to promote a sustainable future. The Foundation’s focus is New Jersey, carrying out its work in program areas that have evolved over time in response to social, economic, and cultural changes. Its program areas today are arts, education, environment, informed communities, and poetry, in addition to a technical assistance initiative aimed at building grantee capacity.
The Dodge Foundation recently adopted a new strategic plan with a revised vision, mission, values, an equity definition, and goals and strategies to guide the Foundation’s strategic direction. By centering equity in its plan, Dodge seeks to learn what’s working elsewhere, and to bring its deep knowledge of New Jersey and programming perspective to address equity issues in the state.
As financial stewards, with the goal of growing the financial assets of the organization to ensure future impact, the Foundation is developing an action plan to ensure mission-alignment with all investment policies and practices, including impact and mission-related investing.
Finally, as an organization focused on building an equitable New Jersey, the Dodge Foundation is committed to attracting, retaining, and advancing diverse talent across nationality, ethnicity, race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, and disability status. To learn more about the Foundation, please visit: http://www.grdodge.org/.
The Dodge Foundation is seeking a Chief Financial Officer (CFO) to lead the organization’s finance function in support of its new strategic plan. Reporting to the CEO, the CFO will play a critical role in ensuring that the Foundation responsibly stewards its financial assets, growing them to enable future impact and aligning investments and expenditures with Dodge’s vision, mission, and values.
The CFO will serve as a key thought partner and advisor to the CEO, Board of Trustees, and staff as Dodge evolves its investment policies, asset management practices, and grantmaking portfolio towards full mission alignment. The primary functions the CFO will oversee include finance, accounting, and endowment management. The CFO will also collaborate with key members of the broader team as they work together to realize their 2020 strategic plan.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Organizational Leadership and Strategy
- Partner with the CEO to develop and refine organizational strategy and goals
- Advise the CEO on the organization’s financial performance and long-term financial planning
- Partner with the CEO and Board as they evaluate opportunities to incorporate mission-related investing into Dodge’s overall financial strategy
- Advise the CEO and Board of Trustees on key strategic issues and decisions, informed by rigorous financial analyses and assessments
- Identify opportunities for innovation and advance board and staff learning around mission-aligned investments Help shape an organization-wide culture centered around equity and social impact
- Oversee all finance and accounting functions, including FP&A, day-to-day financial reporting, cash management, financial controls, and risk management
- Partner with investment advisor to optimize the value and performance of a $300M endowment; evaluate performance of advisor over time
- Lead the process of reviewing current investment policy, asset management, and grantmaking portfolio through newly developed equity framework and to include mission-related investing
- Ensure timely and accurate preparation and analysis of budgets, financial trends, and forecasts
- Ensure all financial audits and related filings are completed on-time and in good standing
- Recognize and anticipate opportunities and challenges as they relate to financial processes; ensure meticulous maintenance and continuous improvement of systems and processes
Team Leadership and Engagement
- Communicate a compelling vision and strategy for the finance team as well as the team and individual goals to drive successful execution of that strategy
- Support team members’ learning, development, and career growth
- Coach team members across the organization on financial strategies and concepts critical to execution of the strategic plan
- The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree required, MBA or CPA preferred
- At least 15 years of professional experience, with 5+ years in a senior leadership role
- Deep knowledge of the finance and accounting functions, with extensive experience overseeing the finance function for a large, complex organization
- Strong strategic and analytical skills, including financial planning, forecasting, modeling, and investment management
- Excellent relationship building skills, with the ability to work effectively with and influence a diverse range of stakeholders
- Track record of success in leading and mentoring high-performing teams
- Knowledge of non-profit organizations, foundations, and/or impact investing strongly preferred
- Passion for the Foundation’s mission and values, including an authentic connection and commitment to New Jersey
LOCATION: Morristown, New Jersey
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS: Salary and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
The Geraldine R. Dodge Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages individuals of all backgrounds and cultures to consider this leadership position. The Foundation’s commitment to inclusivity encompasses but is not limited to diversity in nationality, ethnicity, race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, and disability.
How To Apply