The Nathan Cummings Foundation (the Foundation) seeks applications for the position of Grants Associate to join our Grants Management Team. This role is a full-time position that is available immediately and is a great opportunity for a mission-driven candidate interested in a job in the philanthropic sector that provides stimulating challenges as well as developmental opportunities.
The Foundation is a multi-generational family foundation, rooted in the Jewish tradition of social justice and committed to creating a more just, vibrant, sustainable, and democratic society. As a family foundation, the Board of Trustees is actively engaged in the affairs of the Foundation. Located in New York City, the Foundation’s grantmaking is concentrated in the U.S. with a history of support in Israel and is focused on four key areas: an inclusive, clean economy; racial and economic justice; voice, creativity and culture; and corporate and political accountability. The Foundation has also expanded its approaches beyond grantmaking through a strong fellowship program and impact investing. The Foundation encourages creative thinking and individual growth in a work environment where all employees, no matter their gender, race, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, education, disability, genetic information or background are valued and respected.
The successful candidate will be a trusted partner capable of dealing with a variety of responsibilities in maintaining effective relationships with people at all levels on behalf of the program team. They will be thoughtful, highly motivated, energetic, collaborative and congenial with well-developed communication and organizational skills. This work is detailed-oriented and requires flexibility, patience, good humor, and discretion. Perhaps more importantly, the GA must maintain a positive “can-do” attitude to deal with the norm, as well as the unexpected. The ideal candidate will feel challenged and excited.
Principal Responsibilities Include:
· Conducts preliminary due diligence on all potential grantee organizations, including verifying eligibility and compliance, and following up when necessary
· Supports grant seekers with application submission and grant reports by communicating necessary requirements and specified deadlines
· Track and follow-up with prospective and existing grantees to ensure receipt of financial statements, outstanding documentation and any other necessary materials to complete their profile
· With the support of the Senior Grants Manager, oversee and respond to general inquiries from prospective and current grantees that comes in via mail, email, and telephone, involving the appropriate Program Team member, when necessary
· Supports the Senior Grants Manager with weekly grants payment processing by coordinating and confirming with the Program Team
· Aid the Senior Grants Manager in drafting and communicating grants related correspondence on behalf of the GM Team and in some instances, the Program Team
· Supports the GM Team and other departments with the preparation of material, assembly and distribution of the Foundation’s board book
· Supports Senior Grants manager with reports for legal, auditing, and requirements as requested by staff
· Assists Senior Grants Manager and Program Team with grantee reporting, reviewing for completeness of applications and following up with grantees on outstanding issues
· Assists the Senior Grants Manager with technical support
· Troubleshoot matters concerning the grantee application portal
· Assists the team in preparing dashboards and reports for information as requested by staff
· Works with the Senior Grants Manager to ensure data integrity
· Support with the maintenance of the grants database
· Provide administrative support with e-expense reports, travel arrangements, and drafting and editing correspondence
· Supports the Grants Management Team’s projects by assisting the Senior Grants Manager in creating timelines and taking the necessary steps to ensure projects are completed in a timely manner
· Coordinating administrative functions with Program Associates to ensure an exchange of knowledge coverage as it relates to tasks and assignments among the Grants Management Team and Program Team
· Perform other duties or special projects assigned by the Senior Grants Manager
Compensation and Benefits: Salary $70,000 – $80,000 annually, plus generous benefits including retirement plan, foundation-paid medical, vision and dental insurance coverage, TransitChek, long-term disability and life insurance, vacation and holidays, professional development and tuition reimbursement funds.
How To Apply
To apply – In one PDF file, please send a cover letter explaining why this position would be great for you and vice-versa; a current resume, two 2-4 pages of relevant writing samples, three references (at least two professional); and any other information that might be useful in evaluating your candidacy for this position. Please submit applications to firstname.lastname@example.org. The application review process will start immediately and continue until the position is filled. No telephone calls, please.
Hiring policy – The Nathan Cummings Foundation is an equal opportunity employer that participates in fair-chance hiring practices, and candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply. As an organization deeply committed to diversity of experience, NCF values and welcomes candidates from a wide range of personal and professional backgrounds, including community-based organizations, policy organizations, government, national nonprofits, or the private sector.
This is an exempt position.