PowerPlay takes a holistic approach to youth development and female empowerment and runs several programs: Sports Training and Role models for Success (STARS) Series After-School Program, RisingSTARS Leadership Academy (RSA), SuperSTARS Leadership Academy (SSLA), Girl Power Days, and STARS Citiwide Girls Initiative (STARS CGI) within the five boroughs of New York City.
The need for PowerPlay programming is critical. According to the Sports Foundation, two of the most significant reasons that girls do not participate in sports are lack of encouragement and lack of opportunity. Often, girls are almost two years behind boys in motor skill development, in part because of their lack of opportunity to play sports. PowerPlay programming focuses on teaching girls fundamental skills in a variety of sports so they become confident in their athletic abilities and enjoy playing. The PowerPlay program setting also provides a safe space for expression and discussion, creating an optimal environment for health, wellness and life skills learning activities.
The President & Chief Executive Officer of PowerPlay NYC reports to the Board of Directors and is responsible for the organization’s and consistent achievement of its mission and financial objectives. The President/CEO will support PowerPlay in its efforts to empower girls and gender non-conforming youth through sports, helping them grow physically, emotionally, and academically stronger. Direct all aspects of the organization which has an annual budget of $2.4 million, 6 FTEs, 35 PTEs, 200+ volunteers, and 1800 participants. Serve as the primary fundraiser, advocate, and tireless spokesperson working to increase revenue, guide grant making efforts, and raise its profile. Establish an external presence locally and nationally that communicates program results with an emphasis on the successes of the local program as a model for national replication. This innovative leader will build upon the recent success and momentum of the organization and redefine the growth strategy and goals to take the organization to the next level.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
– Procure individual major gifts, corporate and foundation funding to assure diverse revenue streams
– Work with staff, Board, and volunteers to achieve annual fundraising goals
– Identify, seek, and apply for grant funding from foundations and corporations
– Drive and advance the annual Gala, the flagship event; manage, plan, and implement all aspects of the Gala, with hands-on oversight of Gala details and execution including event consultants, donors, speakers and attendees, invitation lists, and event committee and honorees, among others
– Forge partnerships with corporations and foundations to generate funds and raise PowerPlay’s profile
– Cultivate and nurture new and existing donor relationships
– Provide guidance and educate the Board Development committee on fundraising strategies
BOARD OF DIRECTOR RELATIONSHIPS and STRATEGY SETTING
-Provide leadership, direction and support to the Board and Board Committee
– Keep the Board fully informed on the condition of the organization and the work of Board Committees and constituent groups.
– Update, implement, and monitor short- and long-term strategic development plans with Board of Directors and approval.
– Partnering with the Board to attract, recruit, maintain, and engage a strong, diverse, and committed Board of Directors.
– Develop, maintain, and support a strong Board of Governors; serve as ex-officio of each of the Board and committees; seek and build board involvement with strategic direction for ongoing financial support.
– Cultivate Board and partner relationships to drive new and ongoing financial support.
– Collaborate with the Board to identify future strategic initiatives, track progress towards goals, and implement plans toward sustainable growth.
– Effectively communicate PowerPlay’s mission and relevancy to elected officials (NY City Council), community groups, the public, businesses, and other organizations, to build the brand and bring more visibility to the organization.
– Cultivate strategic partnerships with outside organizations, other non-profits, women’s affinity groups, business and community groups and foundations to advance our mission and aid in fund development.
– Serve as an effective spokesperson to advance the lives of girls through sports across NYC.
– Along with the Board of Directors, conduct official correspondence of PowerPlay and with designated officers, execute legal documents.
– Build public awareness and increase community engagement and media presence, maintaining a good relationship with industry stakeholders.
– Provide leadership in developing programs, organizational planning, and financial sustainability.
– Maintain and utilize a working knowledge of significant trends in the field of philanthropy, women’s funds, social change, and not-for-profit management.
– Recruit, interview, manage, and retain a diverse staff that meets the needs of the PowerPlay. Ensure job descriptions and responsibilities are developed, that regular performance evaluations and feedback are provided, and that sound human resource practices are utilized.
– Coach, mentor and develop staff providing career development planning and opportunities.
– Consciously create a workplace culture and foster a spirit consistent with the overall organization that emphasizes the identified mission, vision, guiding principles, and values of the organization.
– Lead employees using a performance management and development process providing an overall context and framework to encourage employee contribution and includes goal setting, feedback, and performance development planning.
– Promote active and broad participation by volunteers in all areas of PowerPlay work to meet established timelines.
-Assume responsibility for developing and maintaining sound financial practices. – Prepare the annual budget with finance staff, accountant, and the Finance Committee.
– Ensure the organization operates within budget guidelines.
– Maintain records and documentation meetings all federal, state and local agency requirements.
– Make sure requirements such as the filing of the 990 and an audit are met.
– Assure funds are disbursed in accordance with contract requirements and donor designations.
– Minimum 10 years related experience in the profit or not-for-profit sector in business, sales, or corporate administration.
– Proven track record in raising significant financial resources.
– Minimum 7 years or experience supervising staff and/or contractors to achieve objectives and providing essential personnel functions.
– Minimum of 5 years of senior level experience in managing organizations and coordinating volunteer efforts for budgets exceeding $1,000,000 in annual operating expenses.
– Demonstrated track record of effective public speaking.
– An in-depth understanding of social change, the status of women and girls and a familiarity with local not-for-profit organizations that serve women.
– Knowledgeable about communities in New York City and the issues impacting them preferred.
– Demonstrated ability in marketing, management, written communication, volunteer recruitment, and interpersonal relations.
– Successful oversight and coordination of special events.
-Experience working with individuals, businesses, and major foundations both community and private.
– Bachelors degree in related field required, Master Degree preferred.
Travel As required. May involve field work.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the successful candidate has been selected.