TCC Group is a Certified B Corporation, founded in 1980, that provides management consulting and planning services to the social sector. Our mission is to collaborate with leaders to solve complex social problems. We work with the nonprofit, philanthropic and corporate sectors and provide core services in Strategy; Organizational Strengthening; Grantmaking Design, Administration and Management; Research, Evaluation and Learning; and Initiative Design and Implementation and Strategic Communications. We help clients devise strategies, implement programs, evaluate progress and outcomes, and make ongoing improvements so that they can better achieve social impact. Our unique strength lies in the ability to leverage knowledge from our complementary practices, which build on and inform one another.
We are in growth mode and seek a senior level Director to collaboratively build on our current assets and move us into our next organizational life phase. A commitment to the firm’s growth, excellence, and an inspired, nourished work force is critical for any candidate serious about joining TCC Group at this time.
TCC Services Overview
• Strategy: TCC brings strategy to all of our projects. We help our clients consider the big picture and its implications on their “universe”, whether it be the nonprofit, corporate or philanthropic field, geographic community, or combination thereof.
TCC Group provides strategy services to private independent foundations, family foundations, community foundations, health care conversion foundations, and grantmaking public charities, and nonprofits of all types. This work typically involves data collection and analysis, report writing, facilitation, and ongoing counsel. We also provide other types of strategy assistance to our foundation and corporate clients, including grants program design, capacity-building program design, and governance planning.
• Organizational Strengthening: We apply our expertise in organizational strengthening across all three sectors: it is not limited, as is traditionally the case, to nonprofits alone. Through our nonprofit effectiveness services, we support funders and large nonprofit associations/federations in providing organizational strengthening consulting services (strategic planning, board development, program evaluation, leadership coaching, relational capacity building, values-based communications, etc.) directly to nonprofits/affiliates, while also assisting foundations and companies in the design and implementation of cohort-based initiatives to strengthen groups of nonprofits.
Our work with philanthropic and corporate entities prepares, strengthens, and amplifies their ability to work across and within sectors to achieve collective goals. TCC Group helps foundations and companies interested in building their internal capacity, whether through internal efficiency studies, reviews of internal processes, or facilitation of change management and organizational transitions, including launches and executive transitions. Our work in this area is data-driven, grounded in an understanding of the specific strengths and resources foundations and companies need to be as effective as possible in both their grantmaking and non-grantmaking roles, ultimately achieving their societal visions.
• Grantmaking Design, Administration and Management: Our consultants help design and manage grant programs, often playing a part-time program officer role for larger corporate or independent foundations and providing program and administrative support to private and family foundations. We meet grantmakers where they are, encouraging strategic, committed giving in ways that educate, support and ensure inclusive practices.
TCC Group provides a range of management services for unstaffed foundation clients. For these clients we serve as the primary foundation/fund administrator, handling all grant administration and basic operational needs. We are the primary point of contact for grantseekers and the de facto staff for these foundations with no professional program or administrative staff. We provide a range of services, customized for each client’s needs: we handle matters relating to governance (e.g., planning and leading board meetings, developing board dockets, etc.); grantmaking (e.g., organizing proposal intake and review processes; conducting proposal review; overseeing grant payments; and managing grant reporting processes); finance (e.g., working with investment and accounting professionals to develop financial reports; ensuring compliance with IRS regulations); and generally ensuring that foundations operate as efficiently and effectively as possible
• Research, Evaluation and Learning: TCC’s evaluation consultants have the analytics of our strategy team, the “applied science” approach of our implementation team, as well as the rigorous evaluation skills of academically trained researchers. TCC adapts its approach to evaluation engagements to the specific identified needs of each organization, conducting comprehensive qualitative and quantitative research, evaluation, analysis, and predictive modeling. TCC focuses on learning and using information to make informed decisions, design improvements, and to innovate, all with the goal of maximizing success.
• Initiative Design and Implementation: We believe that tackling a complex social problem demands integrated action, informed by deep listening, intentional engagement, critical analysis, and bold approaches—all thoughtfully applied, evaluated, nurtured, and developed over time. An integrated initiative is a strategic endeavor designed to achieve your goals through the careful choreography of multiple program components, well-integrated and implemented for lasting impact.
• Strategic Communications: Whether the need is designing a complex initiative, embarking on an organizational change in direction, or creating a suite of educational materials, strategic communication is essential at all stages of social impact work. We understand the power of words and ideas to build relationships, mobilize people, share knowledge, and advocate for change, and are committed to deep listening, asking the hard questions, and creating and collaborating with clients’ extant communication partners to inform all communication strategically. For many of the services we provide, we create complementary communications plans, campaigns, branding, content, media plan, to ensure that clients’ strategic goals are advanced. We also provide strategic communications as a standalone service.
TCC Group is headquartered in New York City, with team members throughout the U.S. We have more than 40 consulting staff, as well as a wide network of affiliates. We work in teams of consultants assembled to reflect the client’s consulting needs and staff’s areas of expertise. All of our consultants have relevant formal education and practical experience working in nonprofit organizations and philanthropies. We are critical thinkers, provocative partners, effective communicators, skilled facilitators, and insightful strategists. We work with organizations of various sizes and lifecycle stages, in a range of sectors, including arts and culture, health and human services, criminal justice, education, environment, youth development, policy and advocacy, international aid and development, and public administration, to name a few.
More About TCC’s Service Delivery and Our Current Needs
As described in the introduction, we currently seek a Director to work with a diverse array of foundations. This person should have skills and interests in areas such as leading program strategy assignments, strategic planning with foundations, and addressing foundation policy issues. We welcome forward-thinking service ideas that address emerging needs in philanthropy.
A candidate’s strengths and experience will determine where s/he/they will be able to have maximum impact.
The Director is a full-time employee who would be primarily responsible for managing the work and team in the service for which s/he/they are responsible.
• Leading client engagements. Duties include:
o Serving as the project lead on multiple projects; integrally involved in the project teams and all aspects of the consulting assignment.
o Developing and monitoring project work plans and budgets.
o Conducting interviews and overseeing research.
o Overseeing the design of quantitative and qualitative assessment tools.
o Planning and facilitating meetings with boards, staffs, other stakeholders, and observers.
o Writing and editing client reports and other communications.
o Preparing and making presentations to clients.
o Managing project teams and providing senior-level oversight to projects.
o Managing client relationships, including regular communications and meetings.
• Business development and marketing, including:
o Playing a key leadership role in the development and implementation of TCC Group marketing strategies, especially related to Service area.
o Bringing business to the firm by identifying prospective clients, overseeing the drafting of proposals, leading sales meetings, and “closing the deal.”
o Representing the firm by speaking on panels at conferences and serving on committees of infrastructure organizations and professional networks.
o Bringing positive attention to the firm by serving as a “thought leader” in the field by publishing papers, articles, blogs, and disseminating knowledge.
• Service Team management, including:
o Refining and updating a vision for the Service for which Director is responsible, including desired social impact, priority audiences, capacity needs, and growth trajectory, in coordination with other leaders at the Firm.
o Developing annual Service operating plan and ensuring strategies are implemented and goals are met.
o Recruitment and hiring of Service Team members.
o Supervising Consultants, Associate Consultants, Analysts, and Administrative Assistants.
o Ensuring the appropriate training and professional development of all Service Team members.
o Supervising the project work of Service Team members: Consultants, Associate Consultants, Analysts, and affiliates.
• Assisting with overall management responsibilities for the firm.
o Serving on the firm’s Leadership Team, sharing responsibility for ensuring the firm’s financial health, human asset nourishment and social impact goals are achieved.
Required Skills and Background
• Graduate degree in a relevant field or relevant experience.
• A minimum of 10 years of experience in the philanthropic sector.
• Consulting experience: extensive experience and deep expertise with funders and non-profits.
• Substantive knowledge of key area(s) of public policy and program (e.g., children and youth, community development, the arts, etc.) and ability to demonstrate this knowledge.
• At least five years in a supervisory or management role, including organizational leadership.
• A strong professional network in the philanthropic sector and a demonstrated ability to leverage that network to increase visibility of a project or organization.
• Experience as a “thought leader:” developing and delivering content for workshops, conferences, articles, etc.
• Experience building a firm, business, or initiative a plus, but not required.
• Excellent analytic skills: Intellectual curiosity, creativity, strategic thinking and a strong desire and capacity for work with a wide variety of clients and situations.
• Demonstrated client service skills.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Strong management, supervisory, and mentoring skills.
o Ability to be a strong team leader.
o Ability to prioritize and delegate work appropriately.
• Ability to manage and prioritize work in a fast-paced environment.
• Exceptional organizational skills and strong attention to detail.
• Demonstrated public speaking skills.
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
• Willingness and ability to travel for business.
The estimated starting salary for this position is $175,000, with the potential for an annual bonus. We welcome an open discussion with all interested candidates about the full compensation package.
How To Apply
Please submit a resume and cover letter for the “Director of Philanthropy” position by clicking here.