ABFE is a membership-based philanthropic organization that advocates for responsive and transformative investments in Black communities. Partnering with foundations, nonprofits and individuals, ABFE provides its members with professional development and technical assistance resources that further the philanthropic sector’s connection and responsiveness to issues of equality, diversity and inclusion. Established in 1971 as the Association of Black Foundation Executives, the all-volunteer organization was credited with many of philanthropy’s early gains in diversity. It since has evolved into a fully staffed, influential network. In 2013, the organization shed its descriptor and adopted the simpler ABFE (ab-fee) to better reflect its broadening membership.
The Membership & External Affairs Data Specialist is responsible for administering all aspects of our membership data base processes for donor records, acknowledgments, reporting and analysis. The specialist also oversees membership program data collection, the tracking of contractual data requirements and reporting functions.
Responsibilities & Key Functions – 50%
Membership Data Base
- Perform all Donor Perfect (DPO) database administration including but not limited to: coding development, record maintenance, reporting, duplicate record merging, clean-up tasks, security and quality control audits for cash, volunteer support & in-kind donations.
- Ensure the timely processing of gifts and generation of automated acknowledgment system that allows the personalization of thank you letters in support of specific campaigns and member interest.
- Produce and manage the accurate creation/generation of financial, analytical, statistical and demographic reports as well as mailing lists, recognition lists and other data extracts as requested.
- Produce invoices for new members and/or membership renewals according to their expiration dates.
Data Analysis & Specialized Donor Reports
- Produce and manage reconciliation, revenue and other reports such as gifts and pledges and acknowledgement activity for Membership & External Affairs Vice President
- Build and communicate performance metrics, reports and dashboards to illustrate key organizational trends. Use financial models that enable forecasting and lend greater predictability to fundraising revenue streams. Incorporate both quantitative and qualitative elements to convey key drivers of fundraising effectiveness.
- In coordination with internal analysis working groups and key stakeholders across multiple departments, analyze strategies and tactics that result in optimal campaign performance and increased lifetime value of ABFE members. Identify trends and opportunities in order to facilitate data-driven decision-making.
- Provide training and technical support to all Donor Perfect database users. Assist Director of Membership and Special Events and Fundraising Manager in using the aspects of the program required to support the fundraising efforts of the organization.
- Support Director of Membership and Special Events and Communications Manager in creation of specific donor selections for varying campaign messaging and goals.
- Assist in the organization and implementation of campaign mail merges via DPO with multiple layers of personalization.
Events – 10%
- Assist in coordinating and tracking all event logistics, including registration set-up and reporting
Program Data and Reporting – 30%
Program Data Collection
- Work with Vice President of Membership & External Affairs and Director of Membership and Special Events to collect and enter member data into data base and spreadsheets to ensure accurate and timely access of key information and statistics
- Assist Executive Director with data and information needed for government funding and private grant applications.
- Provide data for grant requests and reports, upon request from VP Membership & External Affairs and External Affairs team.
- As needed, work with VP Membership & External Affairs and/or External Affairs Team, to analyze and interpret data for program planning purposes.
Other Administrative Roles – 10%
- Respond to general info emails and basic phone inquiries.
- Bachelor’s or Associates degree
- Two years + experience with fundraising software, preferably Donor Perfect Online (DPO), donor database applications; and online giving software
- Ability to work with multiple data base systems
- Strong strategic and analytic skills to find and leverage agency information in ways that can improve agency outcomes and efficiencies
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word and Excel, and Google Suite.
- Ability to effectively interact and collaborate with co-workers, clients, and volunteers with diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds and treat each individual with respect, dignity, and compassion.
- Excellent organizational and initiation skills.
- Ability to prioritize and complete a variety of expected and unexpected tasks.
- Creative problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work effectively in constantly changing and sometimes demanding or chaotic environment.
- Willingness and ability to make sound judgment without on-site supervision.
- Database Administration: 1 year (Preferred)
- Microsoft Office: 1 year (Preferred)
- Associate (Preferred)
- Reports to: Director of Membership and Special Events and Vice President, Membership & External Affairs
Work station: ABFE Office: 42 Broadway, 20th fl.
Hours/schedule: This is a full-time, non-exempt position (40 hours/week) with benefits. May require some evening.
How to Apply:
Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org