Feeding America is the nation’s largest domestic hunger-relief organization. Thanks to donations and support from businesses, government organizations and individuals like you, the Feeding America network of food banks, pantries and meal programs serve virtually every community in the United States — 40 million people, including 12 million children and 7 million seniors.
Work. Serve. Thrive.
Imagine a place where your talent can make a meaningful difference in peoples’ lives. Working at Feeding America is a uniquely rewarding experience in which our employees work together as vital parts of a much larger mission. We are innovative, mission-focused, diverse, collaborative, values-driven and focused on results.
We are a national, nonprofit organization and the nation’s leading domestic hunger-relief charity. Located in the heart of downtown Chicago, our mission is to feed America’s hungry through a nationwide network of member food banks and engage our country in the fight to end hunger.
Serve as a vital member of the Development and Major and Planned Gifts teams by managing relationships with a portfolio of 150 – 200 Major Gift donors and mid-level/major donor prospects. Develop cultivation, solicitation and stewardship strategies for this portfolio and support donor outreach and engagement strategies to deepen and expand individual donors’ mission-based partnerships. Engage individuals and family foundations that are qualified as being capable of considering a gift of $50,000 or more to a strategic priority of Feeding America. Conduct prospect research develop philanthropic content and materials, complete gift and pledge documentation, keep donor records and record all pertinent interactions.
- Manage relationships and develop cultivation and solicitation strategies for a portfolio of 150-200 major gift donors and mid-level/major gifts donor prospects living in the Northeastern United States capable of considering a gift of $50,000 or more to a strategic priority of Feeding America.
- Develop personal engagement plans and mission-based partnership opportunities for individual philanthropists, major donors and family foundations, in partnership with Major Gifts team, Feeding America Network member food banks and interdependent Feeding America departments that will deepen donor relationships and inspire mission-based gifts of $50,000 or more annually.
- Work in partnership with Development and Major Gifts colleagues to create and deliver donor strategy documents, briefing memos, stewardship/cultivation reports, gift request proposals and other donor materials required in the donor relationship cycle.
- Work with Major Gifts team members on the development of integrated strategies for major, mid-level, principal and planned gifts donors and prospects engaging appropriate Feeding America SMEs and leaders as appropriate.
- Develop fundraising materials, such as briefing materials, request letters, proposals and personalized gift request materials for key solicitation and stewardship meetings.
- Evaluate various gift opportunities and giving vehicles and recommend the most suitable for a donor, fitting with Feeding America’s giving policies and programs.
- Work with the Strategic Gifts Team and network member food banks on the implementation of comprehensive individual major gift stewardship and recognition plans for major donors.
- Utilize the results of database wealth screening to develop strategies for regional donor engagement and stewardship plans; coordinating with local network member food banks when visiting donors within service area. Implement plans and strategies to work with Feeding America network member food banks in collaborative fundraising efforts with individual donors and prospects.
- Assure that all donor interactions in assigned portfolio are recorded in Feeding America’s database and all gifts are properly recorded by gift accounting staff.
- Ideal candidates will reside in metro areas of New York City, Washington D.C. or Boston.
- Travel – Frequent (Between 20% – 40%)
- Mission Focused – Demonstrates a commitment to Feeding America’s mission through work and action. Is committed to people keep people facing hunger at the center of our work and strives to translate this commitment into action on a daily basis. Willing to advocate for people facing hunger and serve as an ambassador for Feeding America inside and outside of work.
- Embraces Equity, Diversity and Inclusion – Demonstrates a personal commitment to valuing different background and life experiences through word and action. Takes personal actions to build an inclusive culture that ensures everyone can fully contribute based on their unique talents, skills and perspectives and feels welcomed and valued. Commits to driving equitable solutions to address root cause issues by incorporating an equity framework in their daily work. Committed to continuous personal EDI development.
- Communicates Effectively – Effectively communicates project and operating priorities to key stakeholder audiences that may include staff, network food bank members, donors and other audiences. Adjusts message and content based on feedback provided. Communicates clearly and effectively through verbal and written communication across individual, small group and formal presentation settings.
- Collaborates Internally & Externally – Actively supports collaboration within and between departments and with key stakeholders. Seeks input and resolves issues with a focus on mission and what’s best for the people we serve.
- Manages for Results/Delegates Effectively – Sets clear goals focused on measurable results and holds self and others accountable for delivering against agreed upon goals. Maintains high standards for self and others and provides supportive coaching and direct feedback.
- Leverages Functional Expertise – Leverages advanced functional knowledge to shape decisions and plans. Uses professional experience to fix processes and make improvements to practices, policies, and procedures. Tracks latest practices and innovations and ways these could improve processes within the organization.
- Translates Strategy to Operational Goals – Translates project goals into SMART team and/or individual goals consistent with overall department strategy. Defines clear project deliverables and monitors and reports against progress.
Technical Competencies, Experience, Certifications & Education
- Familiarity with best practices for the cultivation of major gifts including developing donor strategies, solicitation approaches and donor stewardship.
- Ability to screen prospective donors from lists provided by network members and senior leaders to quickly determine which to direct cultivation efforts toward.
- Ability to do first level prospect research using WealthEngine and other tools and to coordinate higher level prospect research with other team members at Feeding America.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to work collaboratively with all levels of staff, volunteers, donors, and prospective donors.
- High School diploma/GED or relevant experience.
Feeding America embraces a philosophy that recognizes and values diversity. Our goal is to attract, develop, retain, and promote a talented diverse workforce in a culture where all employees will contribute to their fullest potential.
How To Apply