COMPASSION & CHOICES works to create a society that affirms life and accepts the inevitability of death, embraces expanded options for compassionate dying, and empowers everyone to choose end-of-life care that reflects their values, priorities and beliefs. To make this vision a reality, we improve care, expand options and empower everyone to chart their end-of-life journey.
The Philanthropy Gift Officer is responsible for identifying, cultivating and soliciting five and six figure gifts from prospects and major donors living in the north east with an emphasis on the New York City metro area. The ideal candidate must have a track record of soliciting and closing major and principal gifts, an understanding of moves management and demonstrated experience developing long term philanthropic relationships while consistently meeting fundraising goals. Experience closing five- and six-figure gifts and higher from individuals is preferred.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage a portfolio of approximately 130 current donors utilizing moves management to renew and increase giving.
- Work with the Chief Development Officer, program staff and other leadership to begin and maintain a fast pace of cultivating and soliciting gifts from current and prospective donors.
- Work with organizational leadership and current supporters to identify new prospects capable of making major or principal gifts.
- Coordinate and manage local events and activities that engage current and prospective donors.
- Collaborate with the program team on overall fundraising opportunities within the region.
- Contribute by employing and role-modeling key processes and programs that support an office-wide emphasis on collaborations, efficiencies and metrics/performance based outcomes.
Compassion & Choices seeks a candidate with:
- A Bachelor of Arts degree in Business, Marketing, Communications or Non-Profit Management.
- At least five years of development experience with demonstrable proof of fundraising success, ideally raising gifts of $25,000 or more.
- Prior responsibility for development strategy and planning in a large nonprofit or policy organization.
- Political organizational fundraising experience and/or staffing principals is preferred
- A demonstrated commitment to progressive issues, candidates and/or institutions
- Some management experience as part of a development team
Skills and Abilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have:
- The ability to work quickly and effectively with a broad range of people and as part of a team
- The ability to read and interpret documents and reports. Ability to respond to inquiries or complaints from donors.
- Ability to effectively present information to donors, volunteers, organizational management, and public groups.
- The ability to work with mathematical concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- The Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- The working knowledge of Microsoft Office, donor databases, and basic prospect research tools.
- A strong work ethic and ability to adapt in a fast-changing environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- A willingness to take initiative and work with minimal supervision
Reports to: Chief Development Officer
Supervisory Role: N/A
Based in: New York metro area
Positions Available: One
Start Date: Immediately
Travel: Must be able and willing to travel (overnight and possible weekends); 20% of travel. Travel costs and mileage are employer paid.
Salary: Commensurate with experience
How To Apply
Applicants should email HR@compassionandchoices.org and must include a cover letter, resume, unedited writing sample and salary requirements as one PDF document. Email MUST reference “PHILANTHROPY GIVING OFFICER – NORTH EAST” in the subject line. No calls, please.
COMPASSION & CHOICES seeks to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool in the belief that employees from diverse backgrounds are critical to achieving our goals.