The American Theatre Wing is a not-for-profit organization, founded on the eve of America’s entry into WWI by 7 suffragists and theatre makers who came together to support the nation by harnessing the power of theatre. More than a century later, ATW’s vital work continues to be driven by the fundamental belief that theatre is essential to our economic, educational, and social and emotional well-being as a society.
Through a powerful suite of programs that address all aspects of the national theatre ecology, ATW encourages the discovery of theatre by people of all ages, nurtures talent on stage and off, creates pathways for success for students and young professionals, and encourages the development of the art form itself by recognizing and supporting innovative and excellent work with awards and grants. Building a just, equitable and inclusive American theatre is a guiding principle of all of ATW’s work and programs.
The American Theatre Wing, founder of the Tony Awards, home of the OBIE Awards, and one of the nation’s premiere non-profit arts organizations, is seeking an exceptional professional to support the Director of Development on the execution of a multi-faceted development plan which includes both individual and institutional giving as well as fundraising events. The Manager should be highly motivated and should demonstrate excellent communication and analytical skills, meticulous attention to detail, enthusiasm for learning, and willingness to take on large and small tasks. The American Theatre Wing offers competitive salaries and benefits and a collegial working environment.
- Execute strategies for securing annual funding from individuals, including but not limited to the annual fund, special campaigns, and leadership gifts;
- Implement fundraising strategies that increase foundation, corporate, and government (institutional) support;
- Work closely across departments to gain the necessary knowledge of programs to effectively communicate to funders through proposals, reports, meetings, and invitations to events;
- Manage development calendar and ensure timely submission of LOI’s, proposals, reports, and all requests to meet funder requirements and grant compliance;
- Project manage aspects of donor cultivation events and the annual gala;
- Manage prospecting, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship activities for individual and institutional funders;
- Deliver creative experiential fundraising campaigns, including online auctions and sweepstakes;
- Prepare departmental materials including solicitations and reports to the Board and Development Committee, as well as working with Digital Team to create collateral;
- Maintain accurate records through regular upkeep of the Salesforce database, and create database reports and campaigns;
- Manage and oversee the work of the Development Assistant, Interns, and Volunteers through ongoing supervision and delegation of work.
Preferred Qualifications & Requirements
- 3-5 years of development, grant writing, and/or event planning experience with demonstrated fundraising success;
- Experience with government grant applications, including NEA and NYSCA, as well as the ability to read, understand, and manage budgets;
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills along with the ability to create compelling presentation documents. Project a professional demeanor with strong interpersonal skills to cultivate and develop relationships with donors;
- Outstanding organizational and project management skills including impeccable attention to detail, time management, and a strong sense of personal accountability;
- Proactive approach to problem-solving and strong common sense-based decision making skills. Able to work independently, using good judgement, resourcefulness and the ability to sustain productivity under pressure;
- High professional and ethical standards for handling confidential information;
- High level of competency with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Powerpoint, Excel) as well as Adobe and Outlook. Working knowledge of Salesforce preferred;
- Knowledge of and passion for the theatre a plus.
How To Apply
To apply please send cover letter, resume, and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls or agencies please.