Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian organization that delivers impartial medical care in over 70 countries to people affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters, or exclusion from health care. We welcome candidates who bring a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to join us in working toward MSF’s common mission.
The Finance Department supports MSF in carrying out its mission in an effective, efficient, ethical, and accountable manner to its donors and the MSF movement by managing MSF USA’s budgetary, financial, and accounting practices as well as designing and presenting budget and financial analytics. The Finance team consists of 3 units – Revenue, Accounts Payable and Payroll. The Finance team is also integrally involved in the grant management process working closely with the Programs/Grants Support team.
Director of Finance
Doctors Without Borders/ Médecins Sans Frontières
New York, NY
Reporting to the Deputy Executive Director, the Director of Finance is a member of MSF-USA’s extended management team, participating in developing organizational decisions and priority setting as well as being the key personnel in engaging the Board of Directors on budget approvals, cost and revenue projections, financial governance and other areas as required.
As such, the Director of Finance is responsible for:
- Strategic thinking and decision-making for financial management.
- Providing leadership to the organization for financial strategy.
- Providing strong departmental management and leading staff development
- Defining work streams in collaboration with staff and other internal departments.
- Implementation of both US and International GAAP based financial policies.
- Oversight and internal control of the organization’s financial assets and operations.
- Leads, manages, and evaluates a ten-person Finance department in establishment and execution of annual objectives.
- Delegates authority consults with and guides staff to achieve goals. Provides ongoing support and feedback in a context of mutual respect.
- Designs and implements the structural and organizational changes necessary for the Finance Department to adapt to present and ongoing challenges. Ensures a satisfactory balance between the distribution of skills and tasks and the necessary redundancies among staff.
- Actively participates in International Office report coordination and strategic financial planning with other MSF Sections.
- Primary financial liaison for Board and its various Committees as well as internal Department heads.
Financial Management and Accounting
- Responsible for financial accounting, reporting, and budgeting for organization consisting of approximately: $500MM in revenues; $375MM of grant disbursements and $125MM of headquarter expenditures.
- Evaluates MSF-USA’s financial position and coordinates the issuance of periodic reports on its financial stability, liquidity, and growth to the Board, Management, Staff, and the International Office.
- Interacts closely with the Board Treasurer in implementing MSF-USA’s Investment Policy and recommends short and long-term financial plans in adherence with such Policy.
- Reviews and reports on activities of an investment portfolio approximating $120MM. Monitoring consists of investment manager reviews and cash forecasting allocations.
- Monitors and ensures compliance of organization’s charitable gift annuity program and its investments.
- Oversees the creation, maintenance and reporting of budgets, forecasts, and cash flow positions.
- Directs and coordinates staff in support of external US GAAP financial audits and conversion of financial data into International combined financial statements.
- Directs the analysis and reporting of all operational activities for both internal and external constituents. As such, identifies analytical procedures and reporting needs to accomplish such objectives.
- Assures establishment of and compliance with internal procedures including internal controls; security of financial data; document retention and banking activities.
- Assures compliance with Federal, State and Local government regulations pertaining to fund-raising activities; advocacy and lobbying; international grant-making practices; and unrelated business income monitoring.
- Works closely with Grants Officer on grant-making administration from a budgetary, financial reporting and accountability perspective.
- Directs the disbursal of program funding based on Board-approved grants and MSF-USA’s financial position. Monitors and advises on the allocation of donor-restricted funds.
- Represents MSF-USA in the international organization’s finance platforms (both at “Group” and world-wide “Movement” levels.) Participation consists of International Combined Accounts budgeting and financial reporting, negotiation and implementation of international financial agreements, and discussion and implementation of other financial policy and procedures.
10 years progressive experience in Finance & Administration roles, including at least 5 years at a senior finance level. Certified Public Accountant and/or Master’s degree (M.B.A., M.P.A. or equivalent discipline) highly preferred.
Education/experience should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Solutions-oriented individual who can understand the needs of the entire organization as s/he carries out his/her responsibilities. Must demonstrate superior interpersonal, leadership and diplomatic skills.
- Demonstrated success in roles requiring analytic and systematic thinking while managing multiple priorities. Ability to anticipate and resolve problems in a timely manner by skillfully organizing, gathering and analyzing information.
- Demonstrated knowledge of US non-profit regulatory environment and risk management protocols.
- Experience collaborating in a highly matrixed management structure strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and build relationships with peers.
- Demonstrated ability to provide leadership, motivation, and support to staff, securing their respective commitments to the organization’s goals.
- Demonstrated experience in managing and leading the development and monitoring of large-scale budgets and partnering with the Development team on fundraising activities.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with a broad and diverse set of partners.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to common inquiries from the Board, MSF-USA management and staff, external auditors, regulatory agencies, and the non-profit and general public communities.
- Experience with Oracle NetSuite or other cloud-based ERP system required. High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office 365 products.
- Genuine interest in and commitment to the humanitarian principles of MSF-USA and its commitment to transparency to its donors and employees.
- Ability to travel (approx. 5%) as required for international platform meetings.
- Preference for non-profit experience.
Please note that relocation assistance or visa sponsorship will be offered for this position.
MSF-USA/Doctors Without Borders is an Equal Opportunity Employer. No employee, or applicant for employment, shall be discriminated against in any term or condition of employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, or sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law. We are constantly striving to make our organization anti-racist. Diversity, equity and inclusion are core values. As an employee, you become part of that mission. We expect this same commitment from our staff.
How To Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the link below:
No phone calls and emails please. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.