Avenues for Justice (AFJ) was one of the first Alternative to Incarceration programs for youth in the US and has been consistently Hispanic and African American led for 40+ years. Our 300+ participants each year, 13 – 24, either have court-involved legal matters or are at risk of involvement in the criminal justice system. AFJ provides on-going court advocacy to ensure that participants can receive services instead of being incarcerated, providing wraparound programs of case management, education, employment training, and mentoring.
1. Understand, practice and promote the vision, mission, and values of the organization.
2. Provide direct services to at-risk youth in Manhattan in order to divert them from the wrong path and incarceration.
3. Help youth gain a sense of their ability to control and direct their lives in a law-abiding direction by instilling in them an understanding and acceptance of their moral responsibility for the consequences of their actions.
4. Maintain a caseload of 20 clients, monitor cases and serve as an advocate for clients during court proceedings.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
1. Interview clients referred for assistance.
2. Develop an individualized plan for each client to provide counseling, referrals, crisis intervention, street supervision and court advocacy as needed.
3. Establish and maintain trust and rapport with each assigned client.
4. Develop cordial working relations with all segments of the criminal justice system and represent the agency at events and outreach forums.
5. Develop and maintain rapport with community organizations and leaders.
6. Maintain current files on all clients and submit summary statistical/data reports on a regular basis.
7. Perform all other duties as assigned by the Executive Director and Manager of Court Advocacy and Outreach.
• A bachelor’s degree is required, but candidates with demonstrated experience with youth and/or the juvenile justice field may be considered.
• The position also requires the ability to communicate effectively with youth, parents, teachers and court personnel.
• Creativity and strong writing skills are required.
• Bilingual – Spanish/English preferred.
Competitive salary and excellent benefits.
How To Apply
Please email cover letter, resume and writing sample to email@example.com