About the Howard Gilman Foundation: The Howard Gilman Foundation is a private foundation that supports the performing arts in the five boroughs of New York City. Our team-based, holistic approach focuses on acknowledging, studying, and empathizing with the unique complexities and needs of non-profit performing arts organizations. This approach is informed by Gilman’s core values, which include respect for, and trust in, our applicants and grantees. Our values manifest in our processes and procedures, as well as the type of funding provided. With an annual grantmaking budget of $32 million, the Foundation is one of the largest private funders of New York City’s performing arts sector.
As part of an organizational expansion, the Foundation now seeks a Grants Manager to work with its current seven-person team. With guidance and support from the Director of Grants Administration, the Grants Manager will oversee Gilman’s day-to-day grantmaking process and procedures, working to ensure alignment of grantmaking with our mission and values. The Foundation is simultaneously hiring for a Grants Assistant.
Specific duties include:
- Managing the workflow for all grant processes in Fluxx (approximately $32M to over 350 grantees annually through 4 grant programs);
- Working in partnership with the Director of Grants Administration to design and build new grant themes in Fluxx;
- Documenting grantmaking procedures and providing staff training;
- Building and generating reports in Fluxx to assist in internal staff research and the presentation of grant history, trends, metrics, and objectives for the Board, other funders, and/or consultants;
- Managing the Fluxx payment process and preparing materials for the Foundation’s annual audit and 990;
- Triaging Fluxx configuration issues from grantees and staff and actively working to maintain a positive user experience in Fluxx; and
- Working collaboratively with staff to refine procedures and policies and shape additional grantmaking programs.
- Knowledge of and experience with the grants management system Fluxx: required.
- Two to four years’ experience in a grantmaking capacity: required.
- A demonstrated interest in and commitment to the Howard Gilman Foundation mission of supporting the performing arts in New York City: essential.
- The ability to communicate technical concepts effectively and create clear documentation and training materials: essential.
- A process-oriented approach to tasks and the ability to design systems with efficiency, accuracy, and respect for applicants and staff in mind;
- Recognition of the role grants management plays in fulfilling the vision of a Foundation and an interest in ensuring alignment of grant processes with organizational values;
- The foresight to plan ahead and the flexibility to manage the unexpected;
- The desire to work collaboratively in a team-based environment;
- Exceptional organizational skills; and
- The capacity to think creatively and the courage to express strong, vital opinions.
The Howard Gilman Foundation is firmly committed to continuing to build a team with a wide range of perspectives. The Foundation strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ+ candidates, and does not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, status as a veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or any statuses protected by law.
Location and Hybrid Work Model: The Howard Gilman Foundation is located in New York City. Gilman uses a hybrid work model in which in-person workdays are paired with remote workdays. On average, the Grants Manager will be expected to work two to three days a week at the Foundation’s midtown Manhattan office, as COVID protocols permit, and the rest of the week from home. Gilman understands and respects the need for scheduling flexibility.
Compensation: This is a full-time, exempt position. Salary range is $85,000 – $105,000, and the final salary offer will be commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits, including a 403b plan with a 10% Foundation contribution, are offered.
How To Apply
Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. The application deadline is Friday, May 20th. The Foundation hopes to welcome our new Grants Manager to the team by no later than mid-July. The position will remain open until filled, with candidate review beginning in mid-May.