Proteus Fund connects philanthropy to the frontlines of social justice. We strive to advance the interconnected goals of racial, gender, queer, and disability justice and an inclusive, fully representative democracy. To do our work effectively and with significant impact, Proteus Fund creates dynamic relationships between progressive philanthropists, movement leaders, and other allies that go far beyond transactional grantmaking.
Our trusted position among funders and field actors enables us to support, both through collaborative grantmaking and other efforts, a broad array of strategies to achieve social justice victories. Our donor collaboratives are best-in-class models for bridging responsive philanthropy and cutting-edge social justice movements for deeper impact, aligning resources to address critical needs, and shaping strategy alongside our partners.
Through our fiscal sponsorship program, Proteus Fund partners with initiatives which play a powerful role in the larger ecosystem for social change, providing them with tailored and comprehensive organizational support.
To date, Proteus Fund, and its affiliated 501(c)(4) organization, the Proteus Action League (PAL), have distributed $250 million in grants, and provided other essential tools to support activists, advocates, networks, coalitions, and issue-specific campaigns at the local, state, and national level.
Proteus Fund is headquartered in New York City, with offices in Amherst, Massachusetts. Our staff is based across the entire United States.
Proteus operates and pursues its work based on a set of values synergistic with our vision and mission:
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion;
- Integrity and professionalism;
- Transparency and accountability; and
- Respect and humility
Reporting directly to the President + CEO, the Manager of Executive Office + Board Liaison provides the full range of executive support in a close one-on-one working relationship.
The Manager of Executive Office + Board Liaison serves as the primary point of contact for staff, consultants, board of director members, and external stakeholders on matters pertaining to the Office of the President + CEO.
The Manager of Executive Office + Board Liaison also serves as the staff liaison to two Boards of Directors (Proteus Fund + PAL); organizes and coordinates executive outreach and relations efforts, and oversees special projects for the President + CEO.
The Manager of Executive Office + Board Liaison works independently on projects, from conception to completion, and can work under tight deadlines to handle a wide variety of activities and confidential matters with discretion.
Essential Job Functions
- Serves a “gatekeeper” and “gateway” role for effective scheduling and President + CEO time management; plans and coordinates the President + CEO’s complex internal and external schedule and manages time-sensitive deadlines
- Assists in managing the President + CEO’s correspondence and deliverables to external actors
- Researches, prioritizes, and follows up on many incoming matters and concerns addressed to the President + CEO; helps determine appropriate courses of action, referral, or response
- Maintains confidentiality and discretion on all topics of a sensitive nature
- Supports basic IT needs of the President + CEO and serves as the bridge to the IT department to address remaining tech issues
- Provides a bridge for smooth communication between the President + CEO’s office and internal departments and programs in ways that consistently maintain credibility, trust, and discretion with senior management, program staff, and others
- Provides leadership to help build relationships with external stakeholders crucial to the success of the organization
Board Support and Liaison
- Serves as the staff liaison to the Proteus Fund and PAL Boards of Directors for the President + CEO facilitating communications and project management and ensuring members’ needs related to board service are met
- Manages the Proteus Fund and PAL Board meetings, including meeting logistics and coordination as well as related travel and accommodations, materials preparation, and related responsibilities
- Works with Board Committee Chairs and the President + CEO to schedule Board committee meetings and teleconference calls. Directly staffs the Executive Committee, Governance Advisory Committee, and other committees of the Proteus Fund and PAL Boards
- Assists with preparing materials for Governance Advisory Committee related to new Board member recruitment, nominations, and orientation. This includes:
- Populating and maintaining a system to track potential Board nominees, including researching potential candidates and coordinating outreach
- Supporting Governance Advisory Committee members, including the President + CEO, in outreach to potential Board candidates
- Compiling materials for new Board member orientation
- Scheduling and helping to prepare for orientation meetings for new Board members
- Drafts official meeting minutes at Proteus Fund and PAL Board meetings, as well as some Board Committee meetings, and works with senior management and Board leadership to finalize Board minutes.
- Maintains accurate and efficient electronic Board, Board Committee, and Executive Office document filing systems
Five years’ experience working with senior management, C-suite executives, and/or President in a nonprofit setting. We value candidates who can demonstrate capability and articulate how prior experiences will help them to contribute.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to manage sensitive and confidential situations with discretion, tact, professionalism, and diplomacy
- Project management and advanced organizational skills reflecting the ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly with excellent attention to detail
- Well-developed problem-solving skills
- Personal effectiveness/credibility and emotional maturity
- Tech-savvy with ability to troubleshoot minor day-to-day tech issues prior to escalating to IT Help Desk
- Highly skilled in PC usage and Microsoft Office Platform (including Teams and SharePoint)
- High level of proficiency in managing meetings via Zoom and similar platforms
Alignment to Culture and Values
- Commitment to the vision and mission of Proteus as a progressive social justice organization
- Commitment and ability to thrive within a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace, including in dealings with colleagues, donors, consultants, and other critical stakeholders
- Cultural responsiveness and alignment with our values; commitment to equity and inclusion
- Strong relationship building; high ethical standards, discretion, and tact
- Personal qualities of humility and empathy
This position reports to Proteus Fund’s President + Chief Executive Officer and has no direct reports.
Compensation + Benefits
This is a full-time, salaried position with a salary range of $95,000-$105,000.
A highly competitive benefits package is provided, including:
- Medical and dental benefits for employee and eligible dependents available on first day of work
- 401(k) retirement savings account with an organization contribution of 10% of annual salary
- Three weeks paid vacation in first year of employment; four weeks in subsequent years
- Fifteen sick days per year
- Three personal days per year
- Twelve paid holidays
- Professional development initiatives for growth
- Paid Family Leave
As a reflection of our firm’s commitment to equity and equal pay for all, Cooper Coleman requires that salary ranges or salary starting points be published for every search we conduct. The practice of not posting salaries perpetuates the gender and racial wage gap and discriminates against women, people of color, and other historically excluded populations by causing individuals to negotiate from a disadvantaged starting point.
Location + Travel
Proteus Fund’s executive offices are in Midtown Manhattan at 275 Madison Avenue, New York, NY 10016.
This position is eligible for a hybrid work schedule with four days in the office and one work-from-home day.
Some travel (~10%) is expected, including in-person board meetings and other meetings and events.
EEO + Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Equal employment opportunity and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles at Proteus Fund, where employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation/affectional preference, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, or any other protected characteristic as established under law.
Credential Verification + Background Checks
Before sending your resume for this position, please review it for accuracy. Cooper Coleman verifies its candidates’ employment and academic credentials at the time of offer.
Employment is contingent on the successful completion of a comprehensive background check; consent to perform a background check will be required at time of offer.
How To Apply
Submission Instructions (please read carefully)
Cooper Coleman is leading this search on behalf of Proteus Fund. To apply, please visit www.coopercoleman.com/current-searches. Inquiries and nominations of qualified candidates can be sent to:
Paul Towne- firstname.lastname@example.org
Kindly use the position title as the subject line of your email. All inquiries will be held in confidence.
A cover letter is not required with your initial application but is welcomed to help us understand your fitness for this role during our initial evaluation. Candidates invited for interviews with the Proteus Fund team will be asked to provide a thoughtful letter of interest indicating their specific qualifications for the opportunity, desire to join Proteus Fund, and connection to its mission.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the successful candidate has been selected.
Cooper Coleman LLC is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all qualified candidates and will refer candidates without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation or identity, age, ability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis.