Planned Parenthood is the nation’s leading reproductive health care provider and advocate, with 68 independent affiliates. Planned Parenthood operates approximately 700 health centers across the country that will see nearly three million patients this year. The largest provider of sex education in the U.S., Planned Parenthood partners with organizations worldwide to improve the sexual health and well-being of individuals and families everywhere.
On campuses and online, in statehouses and courts, in community settings and in the media, Planned Parenthood is a visible and passionate advocate for policies that enable Americans to access comprehensive reproductive and sexual health care, education and information. Planned Parenthood has seven million activists, supporters and donors nationwide. The Planned Parenthood Action Network enables online activists in all 50 states to stay on top of the issues and get involved with campaigns that advance and protect women’s rights and health.
The Planned Parenthood Action Fund is an independent, nonpartisan, not-for-profit organization formed as the advocacy and political arm of Planned Parenthood Federation of America. Fortifying Planned Parenthood’s commitment to protect women’s health, educate teens and prevent unintended pregnancies, the Action Fund engages in educational and electoral activity, including public education campaigns, grassroots organizing and legislative advocacy.
Planned Parenthood Today
As Planned Parenthood approaches their 100th anniversary, the organization is focused on building for the next century. To help millions more people receive high-quality, affordable health care, Planned Parenthood will continue their efforts to ensure the Affordable Care Act is realized in people’s lives, invest in new technology to reach a new generation with health care and opportunities for activism and devote time and resources to the toughest areas of the country where health care is hardest to access and where disparities based on race and class are deepest.
In the current fiscal year, the national fundraising team has raised a total of more than $130 million from donors, $29 million from principal and major gifts, across the country to support the work of both Planned Parenthood Federation of America and the Planned Parenthood Action Fund, which is expanding at a rapid pace.
The National Director, Principal and Major Gifts will provide overall strategic leadership to the national Principal and Major Gifts team, based in the organization’s national office in New York City. Working closely as well with local affiliates, the National Director will align, engage and broaden major giving.
The National Director’s primary focus is driving the organization’s efforts to increase giving by individuals, families and family foundations at the principal gifts ($250,000+) and major gifts ($10,000-$249,999) levels. He/she will also maintain a portfolio of donors and prospects, each with the potential to give at the principal gifts level.
Additionally, the National Director will be deeply involved in planning for the celebration of Planned Parenthood’s centennial in 2016, including the organization’s first major nationwide fundraising campign. The campaign is currently in the planning phase, but will seek to raise $250 million over multiple years.
The successful candidate will have a unique opportunity to help lead a thriving organization during an important time in its history, deepening its ties across the United States and ensuring Planned Parenthood’s continued excellence.
Key Responsibilities Include:
Fundraising and Campaign Strategy
- Provide strategic direction for the Principal and Major Gifts team, establishing and executing annual plans, priorities and goals for the department as well as ensuring that these efforts support institutional priorities;
- Expand efforts to engage and steward major donors supporting both Planned Parenthood and its affiliates;
- Personally manage a small portfolio of donors including some of the organization’s most significant major donors and prospects via in-person cultivation, solicitation and stewardship visits;
- Advise and assist in the planning and implementation of the upcoming Capital Campaign;
- Develop and coordinate donor outreach strategies for the organization’s President, CDO and other members of the senior leadership team who are working with major donors;
National and Affiliate Relations
- Work with the Chief Development Officer and Director in the Office of the CDO, in determining the strategy for the engagement, cultivation and solicitation of national board members;
- Develop new ways to partner with the organization’s 68 affiliates to more closely align and integrate fundraising at the national office and affiliate level;
- Build strong, supportive relationships with the development division’s senior leadership team, senior leaders, affiliate CEOs and fundraising staff members;
- Provide strategic advice for affiliate fundraisers who are seeking to raise major gifts;
- Supervise and mentor fundraisers who have their own ambitious fundraising targets;
- Develop and implement performance metrics for the work of the Principal and Major Gifts team, to also be applied to the major gift work conducted by affiliates across the country;
- Promote an organizational culture that embraces diversity as a core value guiding strategic direction, program implementation, staffing, and internal and external relationships;
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of the Major and Principal Gifts department, including donor tracking, donor events, prospect research and budgets.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
The new National Director, Principal and Major Gifts will be sophisticated, strategic and driven. He/she will be a highly-accomplished fundraiser, leader and manager committed to the mission and future of Planned Parenthood.
The successful candidate will have deep experience overseeing fundraising from all angles including creating and executing fundraising strategy, major gift solicitation and annual and capital campaigns. The ideal candidate will have the ability to engage, motivate and collaborate with a dedicated Chief Development Officer, national fundraising team, Board and Planned Parenthood affiliates as a diplomatic team player.
Key Professional Experiences Include:
- A senior fundraising professional with ten or more years of increasing responsibility and achievement;
- Significant experience leading fundraising efforts at an organization of a comparable size and scope; experience in a national organization with an affiliate structure is highly-preferred;
- A track record of identifying, cultivating and soliciting six- and seven-figure gifts; multi-year campaign experience preferred;
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced organization with competing priorities;
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills with a strong results-oriented focus;
- Track record of anticipating problems and negotiating solutions with peers and executives;
- Familiarity with the New York City and major U.S. philanthropic communities.
Key Personal Attributes Include:
- A collaborative, inclusive, team-driven leadership style, well suited to management in a complex, decentralized but entrepreneurial setting;
- Superior written and oral communication skills with the gravitas to be an articulate ambassador of the organization to external and internal consitutencies;
- Superb interpersonal skills and ability to work well with people at all levels of the organization, including board members and affiliate leaders;
- Decisive, exhibiting sound judgment and grace under pressure;
- Commitment to excellence and a relentless pursuit of results with an exceptional work ethic, integrity, respect and humility;
- A passion for women’s health and reproductive rights issues and an unwavering commitment to Planned Parenthood’s goals and values.
Bachelor's degree required; advanced degree is a plus.
Approximately 20%, domestic travel.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Generous benefits are also included.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position.