TCC Group is a mission-driven strategy consulting firm committed to helping diverse social actors strengthen and scale their work. A Certified B Corporation founded in 1980, we partner with foundations, nonprofits, and corporate responsibility programs of all shapes and sizes. We provide an array of services that span strategic planning and program development, foundation and grants management, landscape research and organizational assessment, evaluation and learning, and capacity building.
TCC Group’s 30 professionals are incisive strategists, critical thinkers, and facilitative leaders. We typically work in teams of consultants that are assembled to reflect our client’s consulting needs and our staff’s areas expertise. Our consultants bring years of practical experience and leadership with foundations and nonprofit organizations; most typically have at least a Master’s degree as well.
We work with organizations of various sizes and lifecycle stages, across a broad range of issues and sectors, such as youth and education, civic capacity, policy and advocacy, environment, health and human services, arts and culture, immigration reform, criminal justice, gender, and human rights. Across issues and sectors, our fundamental role is to guide clients in doing more impactful work by helping them make informed, strategic decisions and manage their work effectively and efficiently in order to support lasting change.
About our Foundation Management Services
TCC Group provides a range of management services for a number of small foundations that do not have their own institutional infrastructure. For these clients TCC serves as the foundation office, providing a range of services tailored to each individual client’s needs. We serve as the primary point of contact for grantseekers and the de facto staff for foundations with no professional program or administrative staff.
Our services include:
- Grant advising (e.g., field research on issues and organizations, analysis of field needs and funding opportunities);
- Grantmaking (e.g., organizing proposal intake and review processes, proposal review, overseeing grant payments, and managing grant reporting processes);
- Governance (e.g., planning and leading board meetings, developing board dockets, etc.);
- Finance (e.g., working with investment and accounting professionals to develop financial reports, ensuring compliance with IRS regulations); and
- Administration (handling all grant administration and basic operational needs).
About the Position
TCC is currently seeking an experienced and versatile professional to play a lead role in our foundation management work. Secondarily, this position will involve supporting foundation strategy engagements through research and project management. The Foundation Management and Strategy Consultant position requires a mix of expertise in program and systems oversight, grants management and administration, and nonprofit finance.
We seek a hands-on, analytical, detail-oriented, self-motivated manager who is able to effectively oversee all aspects of our foundation clients’ grantmaking and operations. The person will work directly with foundation boards; strong client relations skills are a must. He or she will also be called on to identify and bring on new foundation management clients, representing TCC Group in venues where family foundation prospects may be found (e.g. conferences of family foundation networks and wealth management firms).
The successful Consultant must be able and willing to meet our clients where they are, supporting their identified interests, while at the same time be equipped to bring knowledge about philanthropy strategy, networks, and governance matters to clients, serving as a reference for best practices to support highly effective work.
The ideal candidate must be a highly efficient planner and manager; detail-oriented; able to juggle multiple discrete projects (and timelines) at once; and equipped to improve and strengthen systems to ensure effectiveness and efficiency. The desired candidate must also be able to manage others, collaborate with philanthropy advisors external to TCC Group staff, and work independently. A good sense of humor is a plus; an ability to collaborate respectfully and genially with TCC Group’s diverse staff and clients is essential.
Chief foundation management duties include:
- Conducting ongoing grants administration, program and foundation management research, including analyses of grant reports and program trends
- Reviewing, analyzing and summarizing grant proposals for board review; preparing grant write-ups for board dockets
- Implementing and maintaining grants management software that follows clients’ work processes while balancing the needs of program and accounting staff and regulatory compliance; assuring integrity of data
- Negotiating and facilitating sensitive issues in the grant-making process
- Providing links between program, finance, information technology and other administrative staff so that all foundation activities are smoothly implemented
- Training staff on both grants procedures and grants management software
- Drafting and updating grants management manuals
- Identifying professional development and training opportunities for staff and self
- Developing and overseeing standard terms and conditions for grant award letters, agreements and contracts
- Undertaking special projects as assigned or initiated Governance
- Planning board and committee meetings, in conjunction with foundation leadership (developing agendas, preparing dockets, etc.) Taking minutes at board and committee meetings
- Helping develop governance practices, as needed
- Ensuring compliance with clients’ by-laws
- Managing the elections process for officers, directors and committee members
- Bookkeeping: paying bills, tracking expenses, etc.
- Working with clients’ investment advisors, banks and financial managers to develop financial reports, transfer funds and otherwise oversee foundation finances
- Working with clients’ accountants on matters relating to 990s, audits, etc.Ensuring compliance with IRS regulations and foundation requirements for all grants and programs Administration and operations, including project management
- Providing day-to-day project management
- Developing and monitoring project work plans and budgets
- Supervising the project work of analysts, administrative assistants, and affiliates
- Developing and maintaining exceptionally strong relationships with clients, including email and telephone communication, and in-person meetings
- Supporting business development efforts, including:
- Working on teams in the development and implementation of marketing strategies
- Researching, identifying prospective clients, and following up on leads
- Helping teams prepare for and participating in sales meetings with prospective clients
- Drafting proposals, including proposed budgets and workplans
- Representing the firm at conferences and meetings
- Writing, through social media and other outlets, on issues and events in the firm’s service areas
- Supporting strategy work in the Philanthropy practice line, including:
- Participating in the preparation and facilitation of team and/or client meetings
- Conducting research, analysis, and project management on strategy project
- Helping to identify training and professional development opportunities for team members
- Grants Management experience:
- Knowledge and application of best practices in grantmaking
- Familiarity with accounting procedures and processes for structuring grants
- Understanding of current IRS regulations related to foundations
- Knowledge of grants management software and information technology skills Management and Communications skills
- Exceptionally strong client relations skills, especially experience working with foundation boards
- Ability to communicate technical, budgetary and program details to clients, grantees and applicants
- Demonstrated leadership skills and ability to manage and motivate a team
- Demonstrated experience in formulating and implementing policies and procedures
- Ability to design and implement effective workflow processes and procedures
- Capability to foster an atmosphere which recognizes and respects cultural and individual differences
- Professional Experience:
- A minimum of five years of relevant work experience in grants management or grantmaking.
- A minimum of three years’ experience using grants management software.Experience working directly with foundation and/or nonprofit boards
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail, strong project management skills and ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to manage multiple complex tasks and maintain composure under demanding conditions
- Ability to prioritize work at hand
- Proven problem-solving skills and a focus on solutions
- Flexibility in approach and willingness to adapt when necessary
- Proactive and action-oriented personality; strong sense of pace and urgency
- Ability and experience working productively and proactively both independently and as part of a team
- Intermediate to advanced skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, PowerPoint) and Internet search engines and databases.
Education: Bachelor’s degree required; graduate degree in a relevant field strongly preferred.
Salary: Commensurate with experience; competitive benefits package. There may be opportunities for part-time employment if desired.
Please submit a resume and a cover letter for the “Foundation Management and Strategy Consultant” position at https://jobs-tccgrp.icims.com/. No telephone calls, please. TCC Group is an equal opportunity employer. Each position at the firm is filled by the best¬ qualified applicant available.The firm does not discriminate against employees or applicants on any legally protected basis, including, but not limited to, race, color, creed, religion, gender, gender identity, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, veteran’s status, age, or disability which does not interfere with an individual’s ability to perform the essential functions of his or her job position with or without reasonable accommodation.
The firm will provide equal opportunities in hiring, promotions, wages, benefits and other privileges, terms and conditions of employment. It is our policy to encourage promotion from among present employees, subject to the application of the best-qualified employee.