Wellspring Advisors, a private philanthropic consulting firm, seeks a Program Associate to join its Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Program (SOGI). The mission of the SOGI Program is to end discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity and expression. It is rooted in the belief that laws, policies and social norms must be changed in order to improve LGBTI people’s lives.
The Program Associate provides both programmatic and administrative support for the team of four working on a diverse set of issues both domestically and internationally. In addition, the Program Associate will be tasked with managing some grantee relationships, which includes soliciting and reviewing proposals and monitoring grants.
- Assist team with planning and coordinating meetings, travel, workshops and convenings; make logistical arrangements as needed; manage consultant contracts.
- Lead on tracking budget spreadsheets and grant calendars, and coordinating grant workflow.
- Support strategic planning, reflection and learning processes, including through research, analysis and evaluation.
- Conduct research related to field developments, opportunities related to grant-making, and other topics requested by team.
- Participate in all aspects of grantmaking, including initial screening of potential grantees, analyzing background information; soliciting and developing funding proposals; preparing grant recommendations; and conducting site visits.
- Client Communications
- Research and prepare client education materials and other information for Wellspring internal use, including presentation slides and regular client updates.
- External Representation
- Coordinate calls and meetings with peer funders and funder affinity groups.
- Represent Wellspring at site visits and conferences.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
- Familiarity with and commitment to LGBTI rights.
- Knowledge of a range of human rights and social justice issues.
- Three or more years working in a human rights or social justice organization.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required.
- Excellent and demonstrated English-language writing and editing skills.
- Strong research, analytic and organizational abilities.
- Knowledge of Excel, Powerpoint, and Outlook.
- Comfort with quantitative information, budgets and databases.
- Ability to remain flexible, work independently and as a team player, and manage one’s own time.
- Ability to handle confidential client information with complete discretion.
- Willingness to learn, be open to new ideas, and have fun.
- Fluency in Spanish.
- Experience in nonprofit grantmaking.
- Experience working or studying in a developing country.
- Ability to approach issues intersectionally, especially with regard to race and class and gender.
LIMITATIONS AND DISCLAIMER
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position. The team member may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary range: XXXX $60-$65,000 based on experience. Wellspring offers a very generous benefits package including payment of 100% of the health insurance premiums for employees (and 80% of the premiums for spouses, domestic partners and qualified family members). Wellspring also offers other benefits including life insurance, long‐term disability protection, a group 401(k) retirement plan (with an employer match), support for continuing education, and is committed to providing transgender‐inclusive healthcare.
Established in 2001, Wellspring is a private philanthropic consulting firm that coordinates grantmaking programs that advance the realization of human rights and social and economic justice for all people. Wellspring has offices in New York, NY, and Washington, DC.
Wellspring’s work is rooted in respect for the dignity and worth of every human being and is informed by the following beliefs:
- Social institutions and structures should promote the full realization of human rights and human potential, and should be accountable to these ends.
- The rights of all people are advanced when the rights of the most marginalized and vulnerable peoples are protected.
- Social justice movements should employ means that are consistent with their ideals, and should give agency to the people whose interests they seek to advance.
- As responsible stewards, we must strive to maximize the impact of our charitable investments.
The firm’s services include: working with donors to develop, implement and administer giving programs that meet their philanthropic goals; conducting research and education tailored to the interests of our donors; managing programs, administering grants and monitoring grantee performance; and working to promote the effectiveness of programs that receive donor funding.
Wellspring Advisors, LLC, hires, promotes and retains employees based on their professional qualifications, demonstrated abilities and work performance, as well as on the degree to which these qualities are required in the employment positions made available by the Firm’s service needs and business requirements.
All personnel decisions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, compensation, assignment, training, promotion, discipline and discharge, are made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, age, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital or familial status, domestic partner status, veteran or military status, sex, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law (each a “protected characteristic”). This policy also bans discriminatory harassment. Qualified candidates for employment having records of arrest or criminal conviction will be considered.
How To Apply
For employment consideration, please submit application to email@example.com. Subject Line: “[Your name]— SOGI Program Associate.” All applications must include:
- a resumé;
- a thoughtful cover letter, including how you became aware of this opportunity (i.e. job portal, referral, etc.) and salary requirements (must specify actual amount and range); and
- one writing sample (no less than 3 and no more than 5 pages, attached in PDF format).
No phone calls please. NOTE: At this time our preference is that applicants have work authorization to work in the United States. If you need sponsorship for a US work visa, please let us know in your cover letter.
The application deadline is March 31, 2017.