ABOUT WELLSPRING PHILANTHROPIC FUND
Wellspring Philanthropic Fund is a private grantmaking foundation dedicated to advancing the realization of human rights and social and economic justice for all people. Wellspring has offices in New York, NY, and Washington, DC.
Wellspring’s work is rooted in respect for the dignity and worth of every human being and is informed by the following beliefs:
• Social institutions and structures should promote the full realization of human rights and human potential, and should be accountable to these ends.
• The rights of all people are advanced when the rights of the most marginalized and vulnerable peoples are protected.
• Social justice movements should employ means that are consistent with their ideals, and should give agency to the people whose interests they seek to advance.
• As responsible stewards, we must strive to maximize the impact of our charitable investments.
As a private foundation, Wellspring’s key functions are to conduct research and education tailored to our mission; manage a grantmaking portfolio of various programs, administer grants and monitoring grantee performance; and work to promote the effectiveness of programs that receive donor funding.
Wellspring Philanthropic Fund hires, promotes and retains employees based on their professional qualifications, demonstrated abilities and work performance, as well as on the degree to which these qualities are required in the employment positions made available by the Foundation’s needs and requirements. Wellspring welcomes candidates with diverse experience and backgrounds, and strongly encourages people of color and people with disabilities to apply. Qualified candidates for employment having records of arrest or criminal conviction will be considered.
All personnel decisions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, compensation, assignment, training, promotion, discipline and discharge, are made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, age, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital or familial status, domestic partner status, veteran or military status, sex, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law (each a “protected characteristic”). This policy also bans discriminatory harassment.
Wellspring Philanthropic Fund seeks a Communications Associate who will provide critical support for the President, Vice President, and other members of Wellspring Philanthropic Fund (WPF) in the areas of communications and external affairs. While WPF prefers to keep a low profile, there is a need for someone to manage our internal communications and develop and maintain communications vehicles to report to our donors on our work, and the occasional outside communications. The ideal candidate will have a combination of excellent design management and communications skills, while also being a creative thinker.
Key responsibilities for the Associate include:
• Design and produce branding materials for Wellspring’s internal and external. communications, such as Annual Reports to donors, online reports for website, presentation materials for donor and staff presentations, etc.
• Produce and oversee the distribution of all print communications such as newsletters, intranet blogs, templates, brochures, etc., as well as audio/visual graphics.
• Update and maintain Wellspring’s website and intranet.
• In collaboration with an outside public relations firm, draft press materials, and serve as on-the-record spokesperson.
• Plan and prepare talking points and presentation materials as needed for the President and other senior leaders’ as part of their participation at important events.
• Support event logistics and planning around donor convenings.
• Serve as a resource for programs in thinking about strategic communications, and edit written documents prepared by others.
• Monitor the internet and social media channels for positive and negative stories about WPF.
• Ensure quality of content in print and on web by copyediting, proofreading, and ensuring consistent style and brand implementation.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements/Qualifications
The successful candidate will have the following:
• BS or BA in Communications, Journalism, or Public Relations – or equivalent experience.
• 3-5 years of experience working in a communications and/or external affairs function.
• Proven proficient in a variety of word processing and presentation software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), database applications and desktop publishing, graphics and layout to produce newsletters and other publications (Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop; MailChimp).
• Experience and proficiency managing and maintaining websites using different platforms, such as WordPress, Squarespace, Wix, etc.
• A demonstrated interest in human rights/social justice.
• Superior written and oral communication skills; ability to produce original, clear, concise content within tight deadlines; meticulous proofreader and copyeditor.
• Self-motivation, with an ability to work proactively, independently, and with a strong sense of urgency.
• Experience interacting and communicating effectively with members of a complex organization at multiple levels.
• Ability to shift gears comfortably, flex skills, and multi-task effectively.
• Strong interpersonal and communication abilities, and project management and time management skills.
• Strong moral compass; personal ethics and integrity must be impeccable.
• Collaborative focus, recognizing the value in fostering an environment which promotes shared communications, efforts and results.
• Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information with discretion.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary range: $65,000-70,000 based on experience. Wellspring offers a very generous benefits package including payment of 100% of the health insurance premiums for employees (and 80% of the premiums for spouses, domestic partners and qualified family members). Wellspring also offers other benefits including life insurance, long‐term disability protection, a group 401(k) retirement plan (with an employer match), support for continuing education, and is committed to providing transgender‐inclusive healthcare.
How To Apply
For employment consideration, please submit application to email@example.com, with the subject line “[Your name] – Communications Associate”. All applications must include:
• a resumé (PDF);
• a thoughtful cover letter, including how you became aware of this opportunity and salary requirements (must specify actual amount and range) (PDF);
• one communications-related writing sample (no less than 3 and no more than 5 pages, attached in PDF format); and
• One Adobe inDesign OR Illustrator document sample (PDF and source file).
No phone calls please.
The application deadline July 24, 2018.