The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is a non-profit environmental advocacy organization. We use law, science, and the support of 3.1 million members and online activists to protect the planet’s wildlife and wild places and to ensure the rights of all people to clean air, clean water, and healthy communities. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America’s bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many of the implementing regulations. Today, our staff of more than 700 lawyers, scientists, economists, policy advocates, communications experts, and others work across the United States and internationally from our offices in New York; Washington, D.C.; Chicago; Santa Monica; San Francisco; Bozeman, Montana; and Beijing.
NRDC is seeking a Director of Partner Fundraising to work with the Foundations team, reporting directly to the National Director of Foundations.
The Director of Partner Fundraising leads NRDC’s efforts to raise funds for and build the capacity of our partners especially those that are under-resourced. The Director will work closely with NRDC’s Foundation Relations team and advocacy staff to identify and pursue opportunities for funding, with a primary emphasis on supporting the work and operations of NRDC’s partners. The Director will also work to build the fundraising capacity of partners through coordinating trainings, introducing partners to foundations, developing resources and reference materials, and engaging in NRDC’s regranting efforts. The Director will serve as a senior thought leader who will help promote equity and movement building in NRDC’s operations.
- Lead joint fundraising efforts with partners
- Collaborate with advocacy staff to identify and prioritize which partners and coalitions, and joint projects we can support
- Work with Foundation Relations and Prospect Research staff to identify opportunities for raising funds for partners
- Manage the process for joint fundraising opportunities, which can range from institutional letters of support to full proposals
- Become a liaison to partners
- Build relationships with fundraising contacts for key partners
- Engage partners in exploring opportunities, setting clear roles for NRDC and the partner organization
- Serve as a consistent resource and thought leader for partners and NRDC advocacy staff, including by participating in coalition and advocacy meetings.
- As needed, provide fundraising assistance to partners directly and through engaging Development colleagues
- Coordinate training and provide resources to build the fundraising capacity of partners
- Serve as senior thought leader
- Help establish institutional processes for joint fundraising
- Help manage an equitable institutional process for regranting to partners
- Consistently elevate issues to the National Director of Foundation Relations and propose solutions to identified challenges
- Promote equity and movement building in NRDC’s fundraising work
- Ability to focus on centering equity and building strong relationships with partners, colleagues, and foundations
- Demonstrated commitment to environmental, racial, and/or social justice advocacy and fundraising
- Strong communication, writing/editing and interpersonal skills
- Ability to build consensus
- Strong big-picture and strategic thinking skills
- Organizational skills; ability to prioritize and simultaneously oversee multiple streams of work to meet overlapping deadlines
- Ability to analyze, innovate, and improve operations
- Detail oriented with high standards of excellence
- Knowledge and ability to train partners on proposal writing, grant management, budget preparation and expenditure reporting
- Knowledge of environmental issues and foundation donors
- Work collaboratively with advocacy staff to manage relationships with key partners
- Help foundations and partners connect and develop their own relationships
- Facilitate Foundation Relations and other Development staff in becoming engaged in fundraising for partners
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 8+ years’ experience in development, with direct experience in foundation fundraising
- 8+ years’ experience in working with partners and coalitions
- Direct experience with Salesforce preferred
- Commitment to NRDC’s values and mission.
NRDC is committed to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion, both in our work and in our workplace. We believe that celebrating and actively welcoming a diversity of voices and perspectives is essential to solving the planet’s most pressing environmental problems, and we encourage applications from candidates whose identities have been historically under-represented in the environmental movement. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a supportive working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with skills and experience. Job grade for this role is Solves 4 with a salary ranging from $120,000 to $140,000. Internal equity considerations and the average salary of the peer range will be reviewed before making a final offer.
How To Apply
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/careers and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal. We would like you to upload any additional papers or project work that you think would showcase your abilities. Due to the high volume of resumes, only qualified candidates will be contacted. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, or if you are a person with a disability and you need assistance applying online, please reach out to iCIMS Customer Care by dialing 1-800-889-4422.