Victoria Foundation is a place-based, private grantmaking institution founded in 1924 by Hendon Chubb and named in honor of his mother, Victoria Eddis Chubb. Since the early 1960s the Foundation’s trustees have targeted giving to efforts that impact the cycle of poverty in Newark. Current grantmaking of approximately $11M/year addresses K-12 education (including access to college), youth development, neighborhood revitalization, and the environment. For additional information on the Foundation, its major grant programs, and recent grant awards, please visit www.victoriafoundation.org
Victoria Foundation seeks outstanding candidates to fill the position of Program Officer. This Program Officer will be an integral member of the Victoria team, developing strategy, researching programmatic initiatives, working closely with Newark residents and nonprofit organizations, and engaged in myriad activities to advance the Foundation’s mission to improve the quality of life for children and families. As the Foundation seeks to delve deeper to address root causes of poverty in Newark, the ideal candidate will have a strong connection to the city of Newark, with expertise in civic engagement, community organizing, advocacy, and/or public policy.
· Under the supervision of the Deputy Director, work with VF staff and trustees to develop strategies aimed at greater community impact that address social, racial and economic inequalities;
· Evaluate grant proposals and conduct due diligence, which includes applicant site visits, mission alignment, and review of budgets and financial information. Prepare written grant recommendations and present them to Trustees at Committee meetings;
· Maintain positive relationships with grantees and provide technical assistance as needed. Monitor and assess grantee performance by reviewing grantee reports, and work with grantees to foster successful project implementation;
· Conduct research and analysis related to potential funding initiatives and/or special projects;
· Develop connections with Newark-based resident associations, key stakeholders across sectors, and philanthropic leaders and researchers doing innovative work in low-income communities;
· Communicate openly with nonprofit agencies, public and private funders, and the general public about the Foundation’s grantmaking priorities, guidelines, and proposal review process;
· Represent Victoria Foundation at community meetings and local/national conferences;
· Take on leadership roles in various initiatives related to the Foundation’s mission; and
· Generate content related to the Foundation’s website and other communications.
Qualifications and Expertise
· Content knowledge and experience in civic engagement, community organizing, public policy and/or advocacy;
· Passion for social, racial and economic justice;
· Strong connection and commitment to the city of Newark;
· Excellent analytical abilities;
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
· Strong ability to learn quickly and to summarize complex issues clearly and concisely;
· Excellent interpersonal skills, a collaborative approach, and willingness to work as part of a cohesive team;
· Excellent convening and facilitation skills;
· A high degree of personal integrity, sound judgment, kindness, tact, and discretion;
· Ability to manage multiple complex processes and track activities and outcomes to successful conclusion;
· An understanding of the operational and financial management issues of nonprofits;
· Comfortable with a high degree of autonomy and a small office environment;
· Excellent sense of humor;
· Bachelor’s degree; advanced degree a plus;
· Bilingual in Spanish a plus;
· Experience using MS Office, including Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint; and
· Experience with social media and database/website software a plus.
How To Apply
To apply: Please send a cover letter outlining your interest and qualifications for the position. Include a resume and a list of three references. Send materials to: Irene Cooper-Basch, Executive Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org. Competitive salary and benefits.
Application deadline: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, with priority given to applications received by February 28th.