PICO is a national network of multi-racial and multi-faith organizations working to advance racial and economic justice. PICO’s network of fifty-five member organizations are engaging residents, developing leaders, and advocating policy in 150 cities, 20 state capitols and Washington, D.C. PICO works on multiple issues including reducing mass incarceration and gun violence, reforming immigration policies, expanding voting rights, fighting for quality jobs and pay, education, health care, and housing.
Founded in California in 1972 to support local organizing efforts, PICO has expanded its focus in recent years to develop state organizing vehicles and national capacity. PICO is the largest faith based organizing network in the country. There is emerging organizing in Rwanda and Central America as well. Funded primarily by independent foundations, PICO National Network has a budget of $13 million.
Please visit www.piconetwork.org to learn more.
Reporting to and collaborating with the Executive Director, (ED), the chief financial officer (CFO) will play a critical role in developing and implementing PICO’s mission. The CFO will be a member of the senior leadership team (SLT), assisting them with financial plans, economic modeling and financial information they need to manage their activities. S/he will be responsible for overseeing all fiscal and fiduciary responsibilities for the organization, in conjunction with the board of directors and the finance, development, audit, and investment committees of the board.
The ideal candidate will have a proven commitment to social justice and express comfort working in a multi-racial, multi-faith environment.
Specific responsibilities include:
- As a business partner to the ED and SLT, assess organizational performance against both the annual budget and PICO’s long-term strategy. Develop tools and systems to provide critical and timely financial and operational information to the ED and SLT and make actionable recommendations on financial management, strategy, and operations.
- Engage the board finance, audit, development, and investment committees around issues, trends, and changes in the operating model(s) and operational delivery. Assist in establishing yearly objectives, and selecting and engaging outside consultants (auditors, investment advisors).
- Oversee long-term budget planning and cost management in alignment with PICO’s strategic plan, especially as the organization considers new programs and funding sources.
Financial and Operational Management
- Establish investment and financial management policies that comply with applicable regulations and best practices and are approved by the Board.
- Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems, ensuring compliance with applicable Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and regulatory requirements. Maintain internal control safeguards and coordinate all audit activities.
- Ensure that PICO uses automated financial information systems that meet the needs of the organization and secure the organization’s assets.
- Manage cash flow and forecasting. Develop a reliable cash flow projection process and reporting mechanism that includes a minimum cash threshold to meet operating needs. Optimize the handling of banking and investment relationships and initiate appropriate strategies to enhance cash positions.
- Oversee budgeting and the implementation of budgets to monitor progress and present financial metrics both internally and externally.
- Manage and track the performance of PICO’s endowment in keeping with the policies and investment guidelines established by the donors and the investment committee.
- Mentor and develop a direct team of , managing recruiting, training, work allocation, problem resolution, performance evaluation, and the building of an effective team dynamic.
- Help develop best practices for local federations.
- Guide larger, cross-divisional teams outside of direct span of control.
- Assist the development team by providing information requested by potential funders and participating in meetings with funders upon request.
- Prepare the financial portion of periodic reports requested by funders as a condition of their grants.
The CFO will be a seasoned and mature leader with at least 12-15 years of broad finance experience that encompasses accounting, budgeting and forecasting, treasury functions, financial analysis and making actionable recommendations to senior leadership. S/he will have experience managing the finance function (accounting, budgeting, control, and reporting) within a diverse, geographically dispersed entity.
The CFO will have the following experience and attributes:
- A minimum of a BS, preferably in business, accounting, or economics; MBA preferred; a CPA would be a plus.
- Demonstrable passion for PICO’s mission; a hands-on manager with integrity and a desire to work in a dynamic environment.
- Mature and proactive, with evidence of having worked as a true business partner to the ED/CEO of a complex national organization. If coming from the for-profit world, nonprofit board experience is preferred.
- Strong analytical skills and experience transforming a strategic vision into an operational model.
- Understanding of and experience with applicable financial regulations.
- Experience selecting and implementing accounting and financial management systems.
- An effective communicator at all levels in the organization, with strong oral and written skills and a willingness to share information.
- A collaborative and flexible style, with a strong service mentality.
- Experience funding activities in ways that both cover costs and generate funds to build reserves.
- Ability to work with a geographically dispersed set of colleagues from an Oakland, CA, San Diego, CA or Washington, DC location.
- Experience working with 501(c)3 and 501(c)4 organizations
Compensation: Highly competitive salary range (depending on experience) plus relocation costs are negotiable, augmented with a generous benefits package and paid vacation, sick, and holiday leave. The position includes opportunities for training and coaching within the PICO National Network.
All applicants must apply for this position online.
Please have the following two (2) documents ready to upload to your online application: (Click the link below to apply for this position)
- An electronic file of your resume (preferably in PDF format) including references;
- A cover letter (stating why you would be the ideal person for this position).