The Pennsylvania Humanities Council puts the humanities in action to create positive change. Our programs and grants bring Pennsylvanians together to build avenues for civic involvement and community development, and for youth and adult learners to strengthen skills for school, work, and personal improvement. We are an independent partner of the National Endowment for the Humanities and part of a network of 56 state humanities councils that spans the nation and U.S. jurisdictions. Learn more at pahumanities.org.
Create, incubate, lead, and sustain all PHC’s content, strategic initiatives, and core program activities. This position is part leader and part doer, an editorial maestro who can both choreograph storytelling and program production, with responsibility for a cohesive brand voice and portfolio of engagement platforms. You will intentionally develop target audiences for PHC’s big vision to put the humanities in action for positive change in the state of PA. Portfolio will integrate core programs including advocacy, grants, and events, with external communications and outreach, marketing and media relations.
• Work with Executive Director in shaping the organization’s strategy and projects.
• Lead and collaborate with program staff on creation and development and refinement of PHC produced content, grantmaking, and co-funding models or partnerships.
• Develop and execute new points of engagement that amplify the voices of talented partners and individuals, and lead a movement to champion and redefine the role the humanities play in our lives.
• Initiate, leverage, and manage strategic cross-sector partnerships.
• Shift perceptions and gain national recognition for PHC’s unique approach.
• Manage and inspire a creative and entrepreneurial team of communications and program professionals
• Oversee the development, production and maintenance of PHC’s website and social-media channels.
• Write or assign and edit copy for news releases, features, newsletters, brochures, reports, etc.
• Identify thought leadership needs and explore opportunities and support efforts for staff and board to speak publicly on behalf of PHC.
• Work collaboratively with the Director of Development and take the lead when appropriate in raising funds for new and emerging content strategies.
• Bachelor’s degree required. Advanced degree preferred.
• 7 to 10 years of demonstrated success in developing creative content and strategy, preferably in the nonprofit, media, advocacy, philanthropic, or government sector.
• Past experience managing large, complex campaigns, projects, and programs with multiple stakeholders.
• Experience managing a complex budget with multiple funding sources.
• Familiarity with digital platforms and a commitment to learning and adapting to emerging technology.
• Ability to lead and attract top talent and inspire creativity and positive change within PHC.
• Position requires regular travel throughout Pennsylvania and occasional travel nationally.
• Self-directed and collegial, with the ability to juggle multiple priorities and manage time effectively.
• Ability to speak, write, and design messages in various formats for different audiences.
How To Apply
Please email a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position addressed to email@example.com.