The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
Reporting to the Assistant Vice Dean of Advancement, the Director of Annual Giving is responsible for developing, planning, and implementing annual fund-raising initiatives for identified programs/centers within the School of Arts and Sciences.
• Create and implement a strategic plan for annual fund-raising in support of the School and designated programs/centers. Determine cultivation, solicitation, planned giving and stewardship strategies based on annual fund best practices paired with data analysis and a knowledge of emerging technologies. Undertake new initiatives to acquire, retain and upgrade annual donors.
• Set and achieve annual fund-raising objectives by managing all daily operations for the annual giving programs.
• Solicit annual giving prospects though a variety of modalities including digital and direct mail, phonathons, and in-person to optimize donor acquisition, retention and increase dollars for annual fund-raising activities.
• Work with Penn Arts and Sciences Advancement Communications staff to create, design, write, and edit annual fund marketing and stewardship materials.
• In consultation with Director of Donor Relations, determine and execute stewardship plan for annual fund donors.
• Identify potential major gift and planned giving prospects from among annual donors to recommend to Penn Arts and Sciences Advancement major gift officers for follow-up.
• In consultation with Assistant Vice Dean, identify and assess new Penn Arts and Sciences program/centers with potential for program-specific annual support. Provide guidance to these programs as needed.
• Maintain communication with program/center faculty and staff regarding plans and results of fund-raising activities.
• Interact on a regular basis with other annual giving officers in schools and centers across the University to share best practices and coordinate efforts.
• Perform additional duties as assigned.
Bachelors degree and 3 – 5 years relevant experience required, or equivalent combination of education and experience, with a demonstrated track record in annual fund solicitations using a variety of modalities (digital marketing, direct mail, etc.). Must possess excellent organizational, communication, customer service, writing, marketing and data analysis skills, and have sound knowledge of fund-raising principles, concepts, and techniques. Strong interpersonal skills required. Strong Excel and data management skills required. Salesforce experience a plus. Candidate must be able to manage multiple projects simultaneously, be self-motivated and attentive to details, and exhibit creative and entrepreneurial energy. Ability to work independently but collaboratively as part of a goal-oriented team is essential. An understanding and appreciation of a research university environment and academic mission preferred.
How To Apply