Vitalyst Health Foundation is an independent, non-partisan public foundation whose mission is to connect, support and inform efforts to improve the health of individuals and communities in Arizona. Vitalyst Health Foundation is recruiting for a new Director of Capacity Building and Community Engagement. This position will continue to support community engagement efforts that address the social determinants of health, as well as improve the capacity of individuals, non-profits and communities to further the existing goals of the Foundation.
The Director of Capacity Building and Community Engagement is responsible for increasing the capacity and effectiveness of community-based leaders/groups, organizations and coalitions working in focus areas of the Foundation. This position also has responsibility for working with peer directors to increase civic participation as well as equitable, inclusive decision-making to improve community health.
To accomplish these goals, the tasks of the Director include:
- In concert with peer directors, identify and work with social sector organizations and professionals to build their capacity to effectively carry out their missions, as well as further the mission of Vitalyst.
- In concert with peer directors, identify and work with a cross-sector of stakeholders to build capacity; align and leverage efforts that address the social determinants of health through alliances and coalitions.
- Using innovative strategies, identify, reach, and build relationships with community-based leaders/organizations working in priority geographic and issue areas to engage those disproportionately affected by poor health outcomes who are often not brought to the discussion as equal partners.
- Integrate community driven or informed engagement strategies into all Foundation activities.
- Work with recipients of grants and community stakeholders to use and apply learning from technical assistance, convenings, peer networking, and data sharing.
- Introduce innovative practices that support the effectiveness of community stakeholders.
- Understand and leverage the role that non-profits can play in civic participation and community engagement.
- Collaborate with program staff, a wide range of community groups and other philanthropic organizations to address issues related to their priorities.
- Serve as a liaison with national foundations to leverage best practices and communicate Vitalyst Health Foundation’s accomplishments.
Specific Skills That Are Necessary for Success:
- Knowledge of the theory, concepts and best practices of strength-based community development, systems change and the policy/advocacy continuum.
- Expertise and knowledge in civic engagement to help build networks among nonprofits and community stakeholders.
- Knowledge of the legal/cultural dynamics of nonprofits and the communities they serve.
- Relationship building skills across sectors and capacity building partners.
- Oversight skills for management of program budgets and contractors.
- Group facilitation and management of group dynamics.
- Current knowledge of Arizona, regional and national trends and how they relate to Vitalyst’s work.
- Coaching and mentoring skills.
- Policy analysis, program evaluation, and/or research.
- Ability to translate theory into practice.
- A willingness to support other staff at all levels of the organization.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree required (or equivalent life experience), Master’s degree preferred.
- Excellent written, presentation and verbal communications skills, including strong listening skills.
- Skilled in building interpersonal and community relationships, requiring poise, tact and diplomacy.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and embrace diversity, equity and inclusion concepts and apply them in carrying out programmatic work.
- Ability to pay attention to accuracy and detail while thinking broadly.
- Experience working with community-based organizations.
- Experience in program evaluation.
An ideal candidate would have:
- Experience leading and/or managing non-profits as well as experience as a non-profit consultant.
- An entrepreneurial spirit and a reputation for innovation and adaptability.
- Experience working with diverse coalitions and organizations.
- A clear understanding of racial disparities in Arizona, and the effects this has had on programs and policies.
- Experience managing contractors and administering budgets.
- Experience working in or with foundations.
- Demonstrated abilities as a creative problem solver, with the ability to think strategically as part of a team.
- Understanding of and alignment with the mission, values and principles of Vitalyst Health Foundation.
- Understanding of the needs of both rural and urban non-profits and coalitions.
- Ability to communicate clearly in both English and Spanish
Compensation: Competitive. Commensurate with experience and qualifications. Generous benefit package.
How To Apply
Please email resumes with cover letters to CAREERS@VITALYSTHEALTH.ORG
Closing date for entries is September 30, 2018.