About United Philanthropy Forum
As the largest and most diverse network in American philanthropy, United Philanthropy Forum holds a unique position in the social sector to help increase philanthropy’s impact in communities across the country. We are a membership organization of more than 90 philanthropy associations and networks, representing more than 7,000 foundations and other funders, who work to make philanthropy better. The Forum envisions a courageous philanthropic sector that catalyzes a just and equitable society where all can participate and prosper. For more information on the Forum, please visit www.unitedphilforum.org.
Reporting to the President & CEO, the Senior Communications Manager is responsible for ensuring that the Forum uses communications as effectively as possible to advance the Forum’s mission, vision and goals. Working in collaboration with the rest of the Forum team, the Senior Communications Manager will manage and execute all Forum communications in our core areas of public policy, philanthropic practice, knowledge services and racial equity, diversity and inclusion. This position requires a person who has experience developing and executing effective communications strategies, and working with a broad range of communications tools and channels.
This is a full-time, exempt position and is open to remote candidates.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Communications Planning & Strategy
- Working with the President & CEO and the rest of the Forum team, develop and execute a strategic communications plan to guide the Forum’s use of communications to advance the Forum’s vision, mission and goals.
- Develop and execute communications plans for various Forum projects and initiatives.
- Manage all Forum communications policies and procedures.
- Manage evaluations of all Forum communications.
- Write and update content for Forum’s website, and work with other team members to manage updates and changes to the website’s design, structure and navigation.
- Manage, design and write Forum e-newsletters.
- Manage, design and write copy for Forum marketing materials, including promotions for all Forum programs and for membership recruitment materials and communications.
- Manage all communications for Forum’s annual conference and other events, including promotions, on-site and virtual materials, use of social media, etc.
- Manage and write content for Forum’s social media communications, including Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
- Manage and write or edit contributions to Forum’s blog.
- Manage, design and write or edit key Forum publications, such as annual report, research reports, etc.
- Manage Forum’s media relations efforts.
- Support CEO and other members of the Forum team, as needed, in writing presentations and creating slides for presentations.
- Manage the effective use of the Forum’s brand identity in all Forum communications.
- Manage work of any outside vendors used to support the Forum’s communications efforts.
Member Communications Support
- Serve as key staff liaison for Forum’s services and support for the Forum’s Communications Peer Community learning and networking group for communications professionals in the Forum membership.
- Manage and coordinate a listserv, regular round robin calls, in-person conference meeting and other programming, as needed, for the Forum’s Communications Peer Community.
Forum Team Communications Support
- Offer support and guidance to members of the Forum team, as needed, on communications.
- Supervise the work of a Communications Associate team member, which is a new position that will be created and filled by the Senior Communications Manager, working together with other Forum team members.
Selection Criteria to Qualify for This Position
- A minimum of 4–6 years of communications experience with increasing levels of responsibility required.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications or related field preferred.
- Strong demonstrated writing and editing skills.
- Demonstrated experience in developing effective communications strategies.
- Experience in website communications; knowledge of HTML preferred.
- Experience in marketing communications.
- Experience in using a wide range of communications tools and channels, including e-mail, various social media channels, blogs, video, podcasts, etc.
- Experience in managing and executing e-mail communications (the Forum currently uses the Pardot platform for e-mail communications).
- Experience in evaluation and reporting of effective communications.
- Effective project management and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a high-performance, collaborative, constructive peer group.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility and a commitment to and passion for the Forum’s mission.
- Experience in government relations/public policy communications preferred but not required.
- Knowledge of philanthropy and/or the broader nonprofit sector preferred.
- Experience with associations preferred but not required.
Compensation & Benefits
The Forum offers a comprehensive salary and benefits package, including 100% employer paid health coverage; employer contributions to a retirement plan; dental and vision coverage; short- and long-term disability insurance; and generous vacation, holiday, and sick and medical leave. The salary range for this position is $85,000–$95,000, commensurate with experience.
Commitment to Equity
A key strategic priority for United Philanthropy Forum is to advance racial equity, diversity and inclusion in philanthropy. The Forum envisions a courageous philanthropic sector that catalyzes a just and equitable society where all can participate and prosper. It is not possible for us to achieve this vision without addressing racial equity. Externally, we strive to be a leading connector, convener and collaborative partner for all regional and national philanthropy-serving organizations (PSOs) on racial equity, diversity and inclusion. Internally, we work continuously to embed racial equity in all aspects of our work.
Equal opportunity and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles of United Philanthropy Forum, where employment and promotional opportunities are based on individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to age, disability, gender, gender identify, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, marital status, military status, pregnancy or childbirth, race or color, religion, sexual orientation, or any other protected category as established under law.
Location and Work Environment
The Forum is headquartered in Washington, D.C. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, our D.C. office is currently closed, so all employees are working remotely. When our physical office reopens, local staff will be able to continue to work from home or to work in the office either part-time or full-time, based on employee preference. Staff located outside of the greater D.C. area will be expected to visit our D.C. office a few times a year. Employees receive financial stipends and other necessary supports to cover expenses of working remotely.
Submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com; please use the following subject line: “Senior Communications Manager: Last Name, First Name.” Application deadline is August 15, 2022.
The Forum is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building a culturally diverse team and encourage applications from candidates of diverse backgrounds.
No telephone inquiries please.