The James River Association (JRA) is seeking a full time Stewardship and Events Coordinator to be based at its headquarters office located in Richmond, Virginia.
About the James River Association:
Founded in 1976, the James River Association (JRA) is the oldest and largest river conservation group in Virginia and the only organization solely dedicated to protecting and restoring the James River. JRA has offices in Richmond, Lynchburg, Williamsburg, and Scottsville, as well as the James River Ecology School on Presquile National Wildlife Refuge. JRA pursues its vision of a fully healthy James River that supports thriving communities by protecting the James River and connecting people to it. We work through four program areas based on a model of individual engagement – awareness, appreciation, action, and advocacy. JRA’s core values are: We are optimistic; We are catalysts; Credibility is our currency; and Community drives everything we do.
The James River Association (JRA) is seeking an experienced Development professional who specializes in donor stewardship and special events. This position will be responsible for coordinating and executing an annual calendar of special events to include our two signature events, Westover Lawn Party and the Annual Meeting & Oyster Roast, as well as targeted major donor cultivation events. The successful candidate will be a creative self-starter and leader in this specialized area of our Development team. Must have the ability to work collaboratively with key staff and volunteers to facilitate long term planning, execution, logistics and follow up of JRA’s key stewardship activities. This position will report to JRA’s Senior Development Manager and will be a member of JRA’s fast moving Development and Marketing teams. This position will work on a hybrid schedule, performing work both at home and in the Richmond Office with travel required to JRA’s offices in Williamsburg, Lynchburg, and Scottsville, and other venues across the watershed.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Manage all donor events to include:
o Building and maintaining guest lists, including managing RSVPs
o Creating all event materials (invitations, promotional materials, nametags, programs, letters, reports etc.) in tandem with Marketing and Communications team
o Managing event and stewardship mailings
o Creating and implementing standard operating procedures for event and stewardship management
o Managing all event logistics, including facilities set-up and breakdown, creating, and implementing a staffing plan, Zoom or other virtual event logistics, creating seating arrangements, floor plans, talking points, and event bios, etc.
o Creating and managing event follow-up plans and implement stewardship and events best practices with Senior Development Manager
o Managing relationships with event vendors, including photographers, caterer, graphic designers, florists etc., as well as various internal departments
o Attending all JRA Development and Campaign events and provide logistic management (evenings and weekends required in some instances)
o Managing event planning committees with Senior Development Manager
o Maintaining event committee contact information files and in Salesforce
o Managing and maintaining records and track stewardship and events budget
• Create and execute JRA’s annual donor and member stewardship calendar to include:
o Hosting small gatherings to give updates and connect donors to JRA’s work with a strategic program and follow up plan
o Planning and executing correspondence/mailings to donors and members i.e. Annual Report, holiday and birthday cards, JRA publications such as the State of the James Report, and other meaningful touchpoints
o Working closely with Annual Fund and Database Coordinator to maintain records for donor correspondence and stewardship
o Working collaboratively across teams with program staff to share meaningful updates on progress and recent work
• Supervise and coordinate volunteers as needed for events and JRA’s presence at mission driven festivals and awareness building events
• With the Senior Development Manager and VP of Development, manage all aspects of JRA’s donor stewardship program
• Assist with all other Development activities and priorities as assigned by the Sr. Development Manager
The Ideal Candidate Will Have
• Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science in related area of study, or comparable experience
• Two years of experience in event planning or in a development office
• An interest in advancing within the development field
• Proven track record of successful event and/or project management
• Ability and willingness to work evenings and weekends
• CMP or similar professional certification is a plus
• Thorough proficiency with MS Office
• Outstanding organization and interpersonal skills
• Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills
• Strong customer service background.
• Ability to work closely with volunteer committees
• Work independently and collaborate with a team
• A high level of integrity and discretion and ability to maintain confidentiality and professional composure
• Knowledge of philanthropy and giving trends with at least 2-years of experience in this field
• Experience working in a donor database
• Must possess leadership skills and the ability to resolve conflicts and help with troubleshooting.
• Good at problem solving, meeting deadlines and schedules, and ability to coordinate volunteer committees
• Strong communications, analytical skills, teamwork, integrity, and reliability
• Physical requirements – ability to lift and carry a min. of 25 lbs
• Experience in Special Event planning required
• Ability to work some weekends and evenings as needed
• Valid driver license
JRA offers a dynamic and flexible work environment with a generous and comprehensive benefits package. Salary will be commensurate with experience; expected salary range $40-$45k. JRA is an equal opportunity employer.
How To Apply
o apply for this position, please submit your resume and cover letter by email to email@example.com or by mail to:
James River Association
Attn: Kristen Armstrong
211 Rocketts Way, Suite 200
Richmond, VA 23231
Resumes will be reviewed as they are received. The position will remain open until filled. Interviews with qualified candidates will begin January 9, 2022. Otherwise, no calls or visits, please.