The ARVO Foundation for Eye Research, is a nonprofit charitable organization based in Rockville, Md. and is the fundraising arm of the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO). Our mission is to serve as a global catalyst for innovation, workforce development and collaboration for scientists worldwide who are engaged in sight-saving research.
As Director of the ARVO Foundation, you will lead the development of U.S. and international fundraising strategies for career development programming, educational opportunities, research grants and travel awards. You will work collaboratively with ARVO staff on fundraising events, finances, marketing and communications. Managing all Foundation-related processes and procedures are key responsibilities of this position. You will work closely with the Foundation Board of Governors and staff leadership to maintain and establish new donors and serve as the first line of contact to donors and sponsors. Providing the highest quality service when engaging with donors, grant-making organizations and awardees/grantees is essential to success in this role. You will be working collaboratively with the Executive Director and ARVO staff to smoothly implement work between the Foundation and ARVO activities.
Key responsibilities include:
- Manages and implements Foundation strategy with support of the staff and volunteer leadership, contributing to strategic discussion of opportunities
- Provides critical Foundation communications to internal and external stakeholders on Foundation directions and opportunities and manage Foundation Board and committee governance activities
- Serves as key contact to donors and other giving groups
- Manages all aspects of annual matching gift campaign, and end-of-year campaign
- Works closely and collaboratively with ARVO staff to support fundraising needs for education programs and manages grant filing in support of these programs
- Manages planned giving opportunities
- Prepares annual Foundation reports and funder-related reports
- Manages and oversees all aspects of the development of two annual fundraising events, the ARVO Foundation Gala, and the Women in Eye and Vision Research Luncheon, including fundraising, sales, promotion, program development and awardee and host committee communications
- Performs administrative duties to support the Foundation, and in collaboration with communications, meetings, and finance staff
Key qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s degree or have, comparable work experience with a minimum of five years’ experience in fundraising, public relations/marketing, and project management
- Proven track record of raising funds from diverse sources, including major gifts from individuals foundations, and corporations (preferably experience with the pharmaceutical industry)
- Experience in donor cultivation and grant writing
- Familiarity with the academic research environment a plus
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively and appropriately with high-level professionals
- Positive, customer-oriented attitude and willingness to honor organization values
- Demonstrated strength in problem-solving
- Strong ability to plan and collaborate across departments and teams
- Strong attention to detail and ability to multi-task
- Experience working with international customers/multiple nationalities a plus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong MS Office Suite skills
- Database management experience
- Travel to ARVO Annual Meeting required. Other travel to be determined to meet the needs of donors.
How To Apply
What we offer:
ARVO and the ARVO Foundation are committed to supporting our employees by providing competitive compensation, outstanding benefits, and professional development opportunities. We offer comprehensive medical, dental, life and disability insurance, FSA, matching retirement savings, telework *(2 days/week), flexible work schedule options, and more.
*ARVO offers two days per week of telework on a business usual basis. However, we provide the option of 100% telework to all employees while the COVID-19 pandemic continues to be a health and safety concern in the D.C. area.
For consideration, please submit your resume including a cover letter stating your salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn more about the ARVO Foundation for Eye Research: https://www.arvo.org/arvo-foundation/
ARVO values diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.