RespectAbility is a nonprofit organization that works collaboratively with employers, entertainment leaders, governors, policy makers, educators, self-advocates, non-profits, faith-based organizations, philanthropists and the media to fight stigmas and advance opportunities. Led by diverse people with disabilities and allies, RespectAbility knows that people with disabilities and their families have the same hopes and dreams as everyone else.
RespectAbility accomplishes our mission with a three-part strategy:
- Fighting stigmas by promoting diverse, authentic and accurate portrayals of people with disabilities
- Advancing opportunities by identifying and promoting best practices in education, employment, civic engagement and access
- Leadership development to strengthen a talent pipeline of people with disabilities
RespectAbility’s Development Associate will support the Manager of Inclusive Philanthropy, staff and board in our work to generate contributions from foundations, corporations, governmental agencies and individuals, as well as maintain positive relationships with current funders. There is no direct solicitation required or expected – this is a role for someone with excellent research, writing, computer, organization and administrative skills who is passionate about our mission. Founded in 2013, we now look to substantially increase our $2 million budget, sustaining and accelerating our organizational growth and ability to advance the necessary progress needed by the disability community.
Salary, healthcare, vacation and other benefits provided. Position will work remotely at least for the duration of the pandemic. We prefer people located near our offices in Rockville, Maryland, or Los Angeles, California but will consider people in other locations.
- Prepare and support the RespectAbility team in all aspects of development operations, including grant applications and reports, annual fund solicitations, major gift solicitations, database management, lead generation and relationship management with existing funders and prospective donors.
- Support the Manager of Inclusive Philanthropy and Development in prospect research and establishing contact with prospective funders, and support scheduling of meetings between the President and Manager of Inclusive Philanthropy and Development and prospective funders.
- Assist in the production of donor engagement materials, including letters, gift acknowledgments and other communications with donors, in collaboration with the Communications Department.
- Work with the Director of Finance and Administration and other staff to build grant budgets, process gifts and pledges, handle data entry and donor record maintenance.
- Work with team to create, cultivate, empower and support our Board of Directors in development activities. This includes helping to recruit and cultivate new board members with high integrity, commitment and fundraising/gift capacity, and ensuring that their capacity is realized.
- Maintain a development and outreach and reporting program infrastructure that includes a donor and contact tracking database, donor communications calendar and evaluation and reporting systems.
- In concert with the National Leadership Program Director, Manage National Leadership Fellows who are working with this department.
- Create and oversee organization of fundraising including meetings, presentations and digital events. This includes tracking ongoing performance metrics on our work and assisting with preparation of grant reports.
- Work closely with grant writing advisors and consultants.
- Other tasks as assigned.
How To Apply
- Strong commitment to the mission and vision of the organization, including diversity, equity and opportunity for people of all backgrounds and abilities.
- Commitment to disability issues as well as a strong interest in issues of intersectionality and other marginalized communities.
- Ability to work with CEO, board and staff to identify, research and connect with potential funding sources – especially high net worth philanthropists and major foundations.
- Talented, detail oriented, highly motivated and honest professional with proven fundraising success.
- Excellent writing and communications skills including grammar and spelling.
- Minimum of two years of development/administration and gift outreach experience required.
- Experience with data entry and database management required. Experience with Blackbaud e-Tapestry or Raiser’s Edge preferred.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite required. Proficiency with the accessible design of office documents preferred. This proficiency can be gained with free trainings available on the RespectAbility website.
- Excellent internet research skills, not only search engines, but also philanthropy sites, news sites, public records searching, at a minimum.
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced, fast-growing, dynamic nonprofit environment.
- Team player who is flexible, upbeat and excited to work in a growing and mission-driven organization.
To find out more about RespectAbility, visit: www.respectability.org/about-us.
To apply please send your resume, cover letter and salary requirements to Tonya Koslo: TonyaK@RespectAbility.org. The salary range for this position is $35,000-$45,000.
People with disabilities, BIPOC individuals, and members of other marginalized communities are strongly encouraged to apply. If you require any accommodations in order to most effectively participate in the application process, please contact Tonya Koslo at TonyaK@RespectAbility.org or 202-517-6272, and let us know what we can do.
RespectAbility provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, RespectAbility complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.