With more than $1.3 billion in assets, the San Francisco Foundation is one of the largest community foundations in the country. The foundation is committed to expanding opportunity and ensuring a more equitable future for all in the Bay Area, and working with its donors, it distributed nearly $100 million to nonprofit organizations last year. The San Francisco Foundation serves San Francisco, Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, and San Mateo Counties.
REPORTS TO: Vice President, Marketing and Strategic Communications
The Director of Marketing and Communications reports to and works closely with the Vice President of Marketing and Communications. As a core member and leader of the marketing and communications team, the director will help develop and drive the communications and media relations strategies to enhance and strengthen the position of The San Francisco Foundation (TSFF) and to increase awareness and stronger engagement among key stakeholders.
The director’s functions include, but are not limited to the following:
Marketing and Communications
- Responsible for enhancing the foundation’s communications strategy to increase awareness and build stronger engagement with TSFF.
- Work in conjunction with the vice president on the following areas: positioning and messaging, enhancing the brand, and implementing a grantee communications program.
- Serve as the marketing and communications lead for the Place pathway, which is focused on preventing the displacement of low-income and communities of color from the Bay Area and ensure that our diverse neighborhoods are places where all residents can live, work, and thrive.
- Serve as the marketing and communications lead for development and donor services, which includes: planning, executing and evaluating communications to support engagement and fundraising goals donor and professional advisors communities; and advising on donor events.
- Evaluate and recommend strategic partnerships to increase stronger engagement with the foundation and to advance the equity agenda.
Media Relations and External Communications
- Develop and implement a proactive media relations strategy.
- Establish key relationships with media.
- Develop a messaging guide to support media relations efforts.
- Pitch to national and local media outlets.
- Develop and manage all media relations deliverables.
- Support all media outreach relations to partner-focused communications.
- Provide media relations support to staff and grantees, including resources, tools, and training.
- Monitor and act upon editorial opportunities. Prepare and brief spokespeople.
Leadership and Committee Roles
- Serve as a member of the directors group, an internal leadership team that works across departments to identify solutions and implement organizational changes that help improve and advance the foundation’s work.
- Represent the marketing and communications team on internal and external committees. o Provide advice and guidance to committees that are in line with the department’s strategies.
- Serve as a liaison between the committees and communications team — providing reports, updates, and presentations
- Participate in the annual budget planning process.
- Develop and maintain project budgets and schedules.
- Work with assistant to establish and maintain communications calendar.
- Oversee “What’s Going On,” an internal meeting for staff.
- Provide support on other marketing and communications projects, as needed.
- Supervise the communications officer and graphic designer. o Ensure cross-collaboration among the marketing and communications team.
- Set annual goals and provide performance evaluations.
- Provide ongoing professional development opportunities.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in journalism and/or communications-related field.
Experience: Minimum of 10 years of relevant experience in developing and implementing communications strategies that advance social change. In-depth knowledge of media and proven ability to develop media relations and community engagement strategies. Have a good understanding of the Bay Area is preferred. Supervisory experience a plus.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND COMPETENCIES
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills.
- Strong ability to build successful relationships with media and key constituencies.
- Ability to work collaboratively in and across teams.
- Demonstrated ability to engage people from diverse backgrounds and in a variety of settings.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite, contact management, and media databases.
How To Apply
Please submit your resume, cover letter and two writing samples here.