In 1999, Susan Hirsch founded Hirsch & Associates Philanthropic Advisors – with the mentorship of legendary philanthropist and community collaborator Warren Hellman – to help philanthropists solve the great challenges of our time. With expertise in the private, public and non-profit sectors and success creating a new philanthropic model, Susan was a leader of the emerging philanthropic advising field in the San Francisco Bay Area, now an epicenter of philanthropic innovation.
Today, Hirsch & Associates directs more than $100M annually to create high-impact change. We have assembled a team of the smartest cross-sector experts we could find, each bringing deep knowledge of how to create and scale change for measurable impact.
“Philanthropy is an investment of resources and time to solve complex community challenges that aren’t going to be solved overnight with a quick-fix. Creating high-impact change requires fresh thinking, creative partnerships and a willingness to take risks. Ultimately, philanthropy is an optimistic investment in the future.” Susan Hirsch, Founder and CEO
For more information, please visit our website: www.hirschassoc.com
The Chief Operating Officer is a newly expanded, full-time role with the opportunity to lead Hirsch & Associates to the next level of performance and growth in a rapidly evolving industry.
Having doubled in size from 2010-2015, Hirsch & Associates is on a path to double again by 2020. As a member of the executive team and working in close partnership with the CEO, the COO will scale the firm’s operations, lead the development of the strategic business plan for the firm, and provide broad operational leadership, all while building upon the strong Hirsch & Associates brand.
We are seeking a unique business leader – one who is results and mission-driven, seasoned and agile, strategic and process-minded. The ideal candidate will have experience scaling an organization, leading a management team, and developing a respect-based performance culture among a group of diverse, talented individuals.
Reporting to the CEO, the COO will have the following responsibilities:
1. Business Strategy and Planning: Lead and manage the firm’s business strategy and planning efforts, including:
· Develop strategy to drive smart growth and create long-term sustainability;
· Develop long-range business pro-forma and financial vision;
· Establish the annual operations plan;
· Set annual investment priorities;
· Set annual organizational priorities and related staffing and structure;
· Participate as a key member of the firm’s business development team to align internal capacity with incoming projects
2. Operations: Manage all operational aspects of the firm, including:
· Comprehensive foundation management operations, to include partnerships with bookkeeping, audit, tax, and legal firms;
· Grants management;
· Finance and administration;
· Capacity planning and scheduling;
· Consultant network
3. Finance and Human Resources: Manage all aspects of business financials and HR; including:
· Develop the firm’s financial plan;
· Establish annual operations plan and budget;
· Manage and develop pricing policies and strategy;
· Establish and manage billing targets for staff;
· Manage bookkeeping and financial reporting
· Human Resources
· Manage overall HR strategy;
· Develop and manage performance and salary reviews, benefits, and employment issues;
· Develop approaches to improve team dynamics and performance;
· Ensure strong shared learning and inter-team collaboration
· Provide direction on legal matters;
· Engage and manage outside legal counsel as needed;
· Manage contractual issues with outside parties
The following staffed functions report directly to the COO:
· Grants Management;
· Foundation Operations;
· Finance and Administration;
We are seeking a candidate who is passionate about the core values of Hirsch & Associates and is driven by our mission to create high-impact change. The ideal candidate will have proven experience that combines general business strategy and operations, most likely in a for-profit setting. Specifically:
· Broad experience (10+ years) working in a for-profit services or consulting business as COO or running a core function such as sales and marketing. Relevant experience in a charitable foundation will be considered;
· Significant leadership and organizational skills having managed staffs of at least 10; 25+ preferred;
· Experience scaling up organizations;
· Ability to connect with staff both on an individual level and in large groups; capacity to enforce accountability, develop and empower;
· General management experience with thorough understanding of finance, systems, and HR; broad experience with full range of business functions and systems, including, budgeting, business analysis, finance, information systems, human resources, business development and marketing;
· Experience and skills in developing growth strategies and plans for organizations;
· Strong written and verbal communications skills, including significant experience in successfully crafting client proposals;
· An MBA, or similar advanced degree highly desired
Sought After Achievements and Skills
· Ability to consistently make good decisions through a combination of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment;
· Ability to think strategically, anticipate future consequences and trends, and incorporate them into the organizational plan;
· Ability to manage delicate client and staff issues with positive results
How To Apply
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation includes a competitive base salary and an excellent package of health, retirement savings and other benefits.
Start Date: May/June 2017
Send resume and cover letter indicating interest and qualifications and list of three references to:
Hirsch & Associates is an equal opportunity employer.